1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 01:341 edit
    "If I had thoughtfully considered..."

If I had thoughtfully considered the possibility of God's existence and then rejected it for my own personal reasons, the case would have been a closed. Other priorities like sports, academic commitments, career and family would have preoccupied my mind. If anyone questioned my decision, I'd have politely declined the conversation as invaisive. If I had joined Red Hot Pawn as an Unbeliever in Christ in July, 2007, the Spiritualty Forum would have the very last place I'd spend my time. Why do many present day site members who are avowed atheists and contribute regularly to this active forum feel compelled to defend their rejection of God and proceed to explain their atheist points of view? Is curiosity or interest possibily still alive?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 01:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"If I had thoughtfully considered..."

If I had thoughtfully considered the possibility of God's existence and then rejected it for my own personal reasons, the case would have been a closed. Other priorities like sports, academic commitments, career and family would have preoccupied my mind. If anyone questioned my decision, I'd have politely ...[text shortened]... proceed to explain their atheist points of view? Is curiosity or interest possibily still alive?[/b]
    Must this question crop up on a weekly basis?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 01:50

If I had thoughtfully considered the possibility of God's existence and then rejected it for my own personal reasons, the case would have been a closed. Other priorities like sports, academic commitments, career and family would have preoccupied my mind. If anyone questioned my decision, I'd have politely ...[text shortened]... proceed to explain their atheist points of view? Is curiosity or interest possibily still alive?[/b]
    There admittedly are people here whose intent is to argue against theism.

But for some, it's the closest thing to a philosophy forum on RHP. Questions of what makes something true, what makes something moral, what makes something real, what makes something important, what gives purpose and meaning, have no other place to go at RHP; and we who think about these things in an non-theistic way are here. (By the way,going to a non-RHP site gives the same result but if you have a suggestion I'm all ears, as H Ross Perot said.)

I know enough about the history of this forum to understand it was designed as a sort of zone for arguments about God, that the Debates people, who want to talk about politics, got RHP to create, under the misnomer Spirituality. I hope this answer in some way is satisfactory.

Besides, we give you someone to save.You should be recruiting. I bet G75 counts this in his weekly quota!🙂
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 03:32

So if you were an atheist you would not come to this forum ...

It's a pity you are not an atheist.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 05:23

Thread 157451
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 06:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Thread 157451
    Actually, Bob is proselytizing, rather gently knocking on the door again. The answers are not going to count at all, until they profess faith.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 06:52
    Originally posted by JS357
    Actually, Bob is proselytizing, rather gently knocking on the door again. The answers are not going to count at all, until they profess faith.
    "Why do many present day site members who are avowed atheists and contribute regularly to this active forum feel compelled to defend their rejection of God and proceed to explain their atheist points of view? Is curiosity or interest possibly still alive?" (OP)

Two direct questions: please take them at face value. I respect your free will too much to ever attempt to coerce it. Thanks.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 07:23
    "Why do many present day site members who are avowed atheists and contribute regularly to this active forum feel compelled to defend their rejection of God and proceed to explain their atheist points of view? Is curiosity or interest possibly still alive?" (OP)

Two direct questions: please take them at face value. I respect your free will too much to ever attempt to coerce it. Thanks.
    Does simply reporting that when I retrospect I find no belief that deity exists, make me an 'avowed atheist' and is that 'rejection of God' -- is that an 'atheist point of view'? Doesn't 'avowed' mean taking a vow?

Curiosity and interest into all things human is alive in me. Just finished a 12 hour audio course on the Persian empire.

I think that you are too much into hasty generalizations and categorizing people onto too few boxes, for this conversation to be worthwhile. Think about it, and treat people as individuals, instead of responding to my message as an opportunity for a generalization.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 07:321 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Does simply reporting that when I retrospect I find no belief that deity exists, make me an 'avowed atheist' and is that 'rejection of God' -- is that an 'atheist point of view'? Doesn't 'avowed' mean taking a vow?

Curiosity and interest into all things human is alive in me. Just finished a 12 hour audio course on the Persian empire.

I think that you are ...[text shortened]... ople as individuals, instead of responding to my message as an opportunity for a generalization.
    If "avowed atheist" becomes problematical, please strip the adjective: [Why do many present day site members who are atheists and contribute regularly to this active forum feel compelled to defend their rejection of God and proceed to explain their atheist points of view? Is curiosity or interest possibily still alive?] I'm glad your "curiosity and interest in all things human is alive". Your interest in the history of the Persian empire is noteworthy. Two boxes: God exists; He doesn't.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 07:51
    If "avowed atheist" becomes problematical, please strip the adjective: [Why do many present day site members who are atheists and contribute regularly to this active forum feel compelled to defend their rejection of God and proceed to explain their atheist points of view? Is curiosity or interest possibily still alive?] I'm glad your "curiosity and inte ...[text shortened]... interest in the history of the Persian empire is noteworthy. Two boxes: God exists; He doesn't.
    Don't box people. This is why people give up on you.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 09:441 edit

Do you really think you have to believe in the christian god to wonder at the nature of existence and spirituality?

Consider your question amended; why do so many avowed theists come here to argue about their faith, since they already know the true nature of reality?
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 09:56
    Is curiosity or interest possibily still alive?
    Curiosity in how theists attempt to make sense of their beliefs, yes definitely. Never ceases to amaze me.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 13:31

By default, the subjective deflection and quarrelsome banter in unison have already effectively answered the two questions: a) "Why do many present day site members who are avowed atheists and contribute regularly to this active forum feel compelled to defend their rejection of God and proceed to explain their atheist points of view?" Likeminded peer approval and support. b) "Is curiosity or interest possibly still alive?" Well veiled/hidden if so, probably for the same reason. Thanks.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 13:39
    Is there a possible answer that would have led you to a different conclusion, GB?
  15. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 13:50
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Must this question crop up on a weekly basis?
    This is G P's place to talk. There are many here who just need a place to 'get it out of their system'. Bring it on G P.

You do realize, you don't have to read it. Just curious rwingett!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree