1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 05:291 edit
    Originally posted by whodey

I have to say, even though I'm a person of faith, I think you are being a little unfair. It is simply human nature to try and (1) convince others to our way of thinking, no matter what it may entail. It may be triggored by the (2) comfort that we are part of a larger majority the more people we can convince. It may be we are trying to convin be we just wnat to help others "see the light". Whatever the mechnism, we all seem to do it.
    Let's agree to politely disagree on several points: (1) Zealots and crusaders attempt to convince. Mature and prepared believers in Christ respect the primacy of an individual's free will and would never coerce it. Rather they would present accurate scriptural information, urge the person to give the claim's of Christ a fair shake and graciously leave the matter for the listener to decide. (2) Wrong motivation! Only the immature and insecure are guided by majority opinion. Correct motivation desires to share vital information, for the sake of the hearer's benefit, no matter how many vocal and impassioned soapbox in the park pundits, in any periphery, think otherwise. Biblical protocol requires absolute adherence to the principle that the ambassador/witness do the right thing for the right reason. (3) Yes, but why smuggle this only correct motivation in at the tail end of the series, as if it were minor or incosequential?

2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 11:06
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Hi, JW. Been meaning to tell you that I saw your mug

shot in the lobby of our local post office last Saturday.

Lol
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 11:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 11:40
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Guess it's still true that rabid trash mouthing often underscores the premise and makes

the point of a thread more effectively than the thread's sponsor ever could. Merci, Tim.

5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 12:02
    [b]Let's agree to politely disagree on several points: (1) Zealots and crusaders attempt to convince. Mature and prepared believers in Christ respect the primacy of an individual's free will and would never coerce it. Rather they would present accurate scriptural information, urge the person to give the claim's of Christ a fair shake and graciously leave the matter for the listener to decide.
    Would you then say that the frequent flyers on this forum who trudge through the same muck every day are immature and coercive? What exactly constitutes someone not respecting anothers free will?
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 12:17

7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 12:42
    Originally posted by whodey

(1) Would you then say that the frequent flyers on this forum who trudge through the same muck every day are immature and coercive? (2) What exactly constitutes someone not respecting anothers free will?
    Thank you for the courtesy of your prompt reply, whodey. (1) Yes, many are uninformed and philistine. (2) Refusing to extend the courtesy

of a fair shake to other site members holding different points of view, because of ingrown bias and impaired vision and ulterior motive.

8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 12:47
    Your point is based on your perceptions, conditioning and capacity for objectivity. Your reading of my motivations couldn't be further from the truth.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 13:15

10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 14:044 edits
    Tim, I don't. It' their rightful haven, birds in the winter of their discontent huddled

together for the relative comfort of the likeminded generating flickering warmth.

Read the op, again, for the first time. Note the second class condition: If I were...

11. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 12:58
    [b]If I were an avowed atheist...

If I were an avowed athesist I wouldn't have the least interest in posting to this 'Spirituality Forum' and playing king of the mountain in attempting to put down believers in Christ who have bought into silly absolutes. shortened.... Your point of view?

.[/b]
    I agree with you, most of the Atheists (with the possible exception of Mr TWhitehead and 1 or 2 others) on RHP seem to use the Spirituality forum for put-downs or some form of Christian bashing.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 13:501 edit
    Tim, I don't. It' their rightful haven, birds in the winter of their discontent huddled

together for the relative comfort of the likeminded generating flickering warmth.

Read the op, again, for the first time. Note the second class condition: If I were...

These posts of your GB are so beautifully subtle, weighted, measured in proportion, like
    water colours against the pale hue of the paper or some autumn leaves carefully
    stitched and fashioned together to form some environmental art that one knows if one
    touches it, it may disintegrate in ones hand. So gies yer haun my trusty feer and we’ll
    tak a cup o’ kindness yet!
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 14:462 edits

If I commanded you to get out of these forums then it's implicit that if I had the power to evict you from these forums then I would. Of course, as I lack that power you can freely defy that command.

Your "if I were..." prefix makes it implicit that (from your perspective) we atheists have no real justification for being here and would do all you theists a favour by clearing off.

For all the quibbling over words, the essence of your OP is that we atheists should GTFO and leave you and the rest of your christian comrades in peace.

Have a nice day :]
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 15:031 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    If I commanded you to get out of these forums then it's implicit that if I had the power to evict you from these forums then I would. Of course, as I lack that power you can freely defy that command.

Your "if I were..." prefix makes it implicit that (from your perspective) we atheists have no real justification for being here and would do all you theists a ...[text shortened]... GTFO and leave you and the rest of your christian comrades in peace.

Have a nice day :]
    no that is not what i thought, it was more like, if i was a shipping pirate with a sawn off shot gun i would have better things to do than shoot tin cans with it. Of course you are welcome and free to express your perspective, we wouldn't have it any other way!
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 15:131 edit
    Originally posted by shahenshah
    I agree with you, most of the Atheists (with the possible exception of Mr TWhitehead and 1 or 2 others) on RHP seem to use the Spirituality forum for put-downs or some form of Christian bashing.
    ... same as it ever was...

my favorite is the typical reference to "fairy tales" or "an old man in the sky"...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree