1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 10:31
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Actually, I am back. However, no one seems to be believing in me. Especially given my newfound more critical stance on religion. It all started when, as the Bible correctly reports, God forsook me on the cross. I mean, I really didn't think he would do that, as my words clearly implied at the time.

Anyhow, that's all ancient history now. God, now s ...[text shortened]... tting you bestow sexual favours upon me. No, not you Shavixmir!

Yours,

J.C. (Pawnokeyhole)
    "God loves Shavixmir" truer words have never been spoken
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 11:36
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [Where do you think the goodness came from which surrounds us everyday?
    goodness is an abstraction that I can neither see, touch, taste, or make love to. Please be specific: to what do you refer?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 11:54
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    goodness is an abstraction that I can neither see, touch, taste, or make love to. Please be specific: to what do you refer?
    Goodness in man is by definition not a mere passive quality, but the deliberate preference of right to wrong, the firm and persistent resistance of all moral evil, and the choosing and following of all moral good.

4. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 16:33
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Goodness in man is by definition not a mere passive quality, but the deliberate preference of right to wrong, the firm and persistent resistance of all moral evil, and the choosing and following of all moral good.

Many non christian cultures practice goodness as you define it . So are they good too ?
  5. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:50
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    Many non christian cultures practice goodness as you define it . So are they good too ?
    No sir. There are no people, let alone cultures, where goodness, according to this definition, is practiced.

Any degree of goodness, that is, any stirrings or beginning of goodness, that appears in a man is merely the fruit of his being made in God's image being made manifest. He can take no credit for it, but can instead give God thanks for instilling it in himself.

Any badness (opposition to the call of goodness) comes from man's tendency to rebel against the original 'god's image' we still carry.

6. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:06
    Originally posted by chinking58
    No sir. There are no people, let alone cultures, where goodness, according to this definition, is practiced.

Any degree of goodness, that is, any stirrings or beginning of goodness, that appears in a man is merely the fruit of his being made in God's image being made manifest. He can take no credit for it, but can instead give God thanks for insti ...[text shortened]... s) comes from man's tendency to rebel against the original 'god's image' we still carry.

I am sure they believe the same about you . Namaste .
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:20
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Actually, I am back. However, no one seems to be believing in me. Especially given my newfound more critical stance on religion. It all started when, as the Bible correctly reports, God forsook me on the cross. I mean, I really didn't think he would do that, as my words clearly implied at the time.

Anyhow, that's all ancient history now. God, now s ...[text shortened]... tting you bestow sexual favours upon me. No, not you Shavixmir!

Yours,

J.C. (Pawnokeyhole)
    I was gonna give you a rec, but then I paused to consider that if you are a false prophet, the rec might be grounds to throw me in Hell for all eternity. But then, I thought again that I don't remember any passages in the Bible that clearly speak of Hell--beyond a few perplexing metaphoric passages, that is,--at least not of Hell as I've learned to understand it as a product of American culture.

I'm still thinking about that rec while struggling with my fears of eternal damnation.
  8. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:261 edit
    Originally posted by buckky
    If Jesus came back, and told everyone that the Bible was sort of screwed up. and a major misinterpretation of his message has been had upon the world. Would the Christians think that he must be a Demon trying to fool the people ? I'm sure t ...[text shortened]... ief. "It must be the Devil trying to trick us" would be the cry.
    How would you know it was Jesus - two photo IDs? Look at his library card? Lot's of people have claimed to be Jesus returning. How did the Christian know they were lying? Because they denied the scripture! Yep! We don't know who Jesus is except for the Bible. And since that is all we know about Jesus, one way we can test anyone claiming to be the Messiah returned is if he supports the scriptures. If that's being ridged, then the alternative is sloppy mindlessness.
  9. Not Kansas
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:35
    Originally posted by Coletti
    How would you know it was Jesus - two photo IDs? Look at his library card? Lot's of people have claimed to be Jesus returning. How did the Christian know they were lying? Because they denied the scripture! Yep! We don't know who Jesus is except for the Bible. And since that is all we know about Jesus, one way we can test anyone claiming to be the Mes ...[text shortened]... supports the scriptures. If that's being ridged, then the alternative is sloppy mindlessness.
    So the Bible becomes the litmus test for the Second Coming.
    Sure hope all those scribes didn't make any mistakes.
  10. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:37
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    So the Bible becomes the litmus test for the Second Coming.
    Sure hope all those scribes didn't make any mistakes.
    What alternative is there?
  11. Not Kansas
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:42
    What version, King James or some other?
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:43
    How would you know it was Jesus - two photo IDs? Look at his library card? Lot's of people have claimed to be Jesus returning. How did the Christian know they were lying? Because they denied the scripture! Yep! We don't know who Jesus is except for the Bible. And since that is all we know about Jesus, one way we can test anyone claiming to be the Mes ...[text shortened]... supports the scriptures. If that's being ridged, then the alternative is sloppy mindlessness.
    How do you know the Bible is reliable, and that the Qur'an is not? I suspect it has more to do with the location of your birth than any rigorous study and prayerful consideration.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:43
    The Book of Mormon.
  14. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:52
    Book of the Dead
  15. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 20:02
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    How do you know the Bible is reliable, and that the Qur'an is not? I suspect it has more to do with the location of your birth than any rigorous study and prayerful consideration.
    I don't know much about the Qur'an - but the I don't think it says enough about Jesus for a Christan to consider it as a reliable source for checking against false Messiahs. Would Muslims believe it if someone claimed to be Jesus?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree