1. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 May '15 16:511 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Another good point. Though "... he couldn't play" unless He played only the cards and games His omniscience knew would win.
    I think you missed the point. If an omniscient god exists, then 'luck' and 'chance' do not. They are mutually exclusive. If God exists then games of chance do not.
    The above may be disputed depending on what you understand by 'luck' or 'chance'. But, the fact remains that if he knows the outcome, he is not relying on chance or luck and thus cheating.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 May '15 16:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think you missed the point. If an omniscient god exists, then 'luck' and 'chance' do not. They are mutually exclusive. If God exists then games of chance do not.
    Further, if he knows the outcome, he is not relying on chance or luck and thus cheating.
    'luck' and 'chance' apply to us and the rest of the human race, not to Jesus Christ.
    "Bingo" was taken out of context to create a hypothetical game He wouldn't play.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 May '15 17:08
    'luck' and 'chance' apply to us and the rest of the human race, not to Jesus Christ.
    It depends how you define them. I don't think 'chance' applies selectively at all. Either it exists, or it doesn't. It isn't 'applied'.

"Bingo" was taken out of context to create a hypothetical game He wouldn't play.
    Bingo is not a hypothetical game. It is also a game God cannot play without cheating.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 May '15 18:21
    It depends how you define them. I don't think 'chance' applies selectively at all. Either it exists, or it doesn't. It isn't 'applied'.

Bingo is not a hypothetical game. It is also a game God cannot play without cheating.
    He would not only 'make it without hesitation' but he could not do otherwise as he would have already have foreseen his own moves as well as those of his opponents.

Bingo! So well said; if for only a fleeting moment, twhitehead, for once we're finally in synch.

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Is Bingo your suggestion for the next game Jesus could take up?

Would a supreme being fare any better in a game of luck?

Nah. It's just a colloquial expression in the United States of America
    for a game of pure luck which wouldn't interest The G/M.

Edit Note: He may enjoy Blitz Chess on Red Hot Pawn.

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Sorry to digress, but do you think luck plays a significant role in our mortal lives?

Marginal though when it's good luck we tend to magnify its importance as if we owned the vault of serendipity.
    Decisions matter; they govern the quality of our lives as well as our eternal address.

Note: Please see the context in which the word "Bingo: was used in the posts above.
    Jesus Christ is the thread's topic, not Bingo or any other games of luck. Thanks.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 May '15 18:261 edit
    Marginal though when it's good luck we tend to magnify its importance as if we owned the vault of serendipity.
    What on earth is the "vault of serendipity"?

Do you look this stuff up on the internet...
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 May '15 18:30
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I think it might be a bingo call.

Vault of serendipity, number twenty.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 May '15 18:32
    Note: Please see the context in which the word "Bingo: was used in the posts above.
    Jesus Christ is the thread's topic, not Bingo or any other games of luck. Thanks.
    I am perfectly well aware of the context in which bingo was introduced. I can read thank you.
    Please consider next time simply telling me to check the thread rather than laboriously requoting it. you have been cautioned many times in this forum against excessive requoting - it is bad form.

The threads topic was the hypothetical scenario of Jesus getting involved in a Chess site and forum. I think the questions as to whether he can honestly play chess, or play a game of luck like bingo are perfectly legitimate extensions to the threads OP, if you disagree - tough.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 May '15 18:58
    Originally posted by divegeester

Do you look this stuff up on the internet...
    Serendipity is a word I've always liked but seldom use; to me it means a fortunate stroke of luck or a pleasant surprise;
    "vault" as if a person had a private storehouse full. That's all.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 May '15 18:59
    I am perfectly well aware of the context in which bingo was introduced. I can read thank you.
    Please consider next time simply telling me to check the thread rather than laboriously requoting it. you have been cautioned many times in this forum against excessive requoting - it is bad form.

The threads topic was the hypothetical scenario of Jesus getti ...[text shortened]... luck like bingo are perfectly legitimate extensions to the threads OP, if you disagree - tough.
    Thanks for weighing in with your opinion.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '15 22:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    If Jesus Christ Himself Became a Member of Red Hot Pawn...

1) What would He choose for a Site Nickname, Location and Self Proclaimed Forum Title? 2) What would we see as His first three thread topics? 3) What tone and atmosphere would His presence create? 4) Would He treat all posters respectfully? 5) What if any questions would you ask Him in public or in Personal Messages? 6) What would His chess rating be? 7) Other?
    "2) What would we see as His first three thread topics?"

Maybe a simple "Q&A" thread. If so, what would His first question likely be?
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 May '15 23:503 edits

Maybe a simple "Q&A" thread. If so, what would His first question likely be?
    I'd lean toward one from this list:

https://mondaymorningreview.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/137questionsjesusasked/

Probably, after 2000 years of splits:

"Why is my language not clear to you?" (John 8:43)

Edit: Of course it's rhetorical, He knows the answer.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '15 00:341 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    I'd lean toward one from this list:

https://mondaymorningreview.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/137questionsjesusasked/

Probably, after 2000 years of splits:

"Why is my language not clear to you?" (John 8:43)

Edit: Of course it's rhetorical, He knows the answer.
    May I ask which one He would ask for our benefit that would not be "rhetorical"?
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 May '15 04:24
    May I ask which one He would ask for our benefit that would not be "rhetorical"?
    Does ask Mr. J ask a ? He does not the answer to?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 May '15 06:34
    Originally posted by JS357
    Does ask Mr. J ask a ? He does not the answer to?

Maybe a simple "Q&A" thread. If so, what would His first question likely be?"

Jesus Christ begins His thread with a question; someone answers it and then asks Him a question; same format we use.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 May '15 06:40
    Serendipity is a word I've always liked but seldom use; to me it means a fortunate stroke of luck or a pleasant surprise;
    "vault" as if a person had a private storehouse full. That's all.
    I know what the words "vault" and "serendipity" mean. As yourself know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree