If there is no God, how do we combat nihilism?

If there is no God, how do we combat nihilism?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by KellyJay
[b]Kelly made the point that if we all ended up in the same place (I assume death) it doesn't matter what path we took. This is a flawed one- dimensional metaphor which bbar demonstrated as false.

barr did not demonstrate it as false, he basically said the same thing
everyone else said, that the importance for them was in this life, it
does not ma ...[text shortened]... s if you were not following the discussion, but see only
those things you which to see.
Kelly[/b]
Everyone is giving up on you in this thread. That is because you incessantly keep making two claims, one of which is blatantly false (the claim that all paths of life are 'equal' if they end in the same place) and the other of which is tautological (the claim that there is no ultimate purpose if there is no ultimate purpose).

I give up too.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by LemonJello
Everyone is giving up on you in this thread. That is because you incessantly keep making two claims, one of which is blatantly false (the claim that all paths of life are 'equal' if they end in the same place) and the other of which is tautological (the claim that there is no ultimate purpose if there is no ultimate purpose).

I give up too.
I realized that talking to KellyJay was a waste of time way back on page one. Why did it take you until page 14 to figure that out?

L

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by rwingett
I realized that talking to KellyJay was a waste of time way back on page one. Why did it take you until page 14 to figure that out?
I was holding out for the possibility of divine intervention.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Vladamir no1
Ah but that is where our interpretations differs ....
I'm not saying that your factually wrong as, "there are no facts only interpretation" (Nietzsche).

But....

I take nihilism 'not' to be the rejection of any value (morality) to life, but the rejection of any meaning to life.

To digress, morality is a necessity for a social structure to func of the question that titles this thread; "If there is no god how do we combat nihilism?
well if we are going to argue on intepretations, it will be best to define what this meaningless means. Didn't Shakespeare argue in his sonnets that we can always live through our posterity and writing. Thus, life remains meaningful through our future generations and work. God seems irrelevant.

If there is no meaning for life, I see no way of combating nihilism (except for maintaining the illusion of God).

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Mar 06

I give up too.
You can disagree that is okay, but like waves crashing on the beach
they come and go, the beach remains. Your views and values will
come and go and time goes on. The waves are forgotten, if there
is nothing, you too will be. Nothing, does not have a purpose, it
takes all purpose away.
Kelly

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Mar 06

takes all purpose away.
Kelly
So you look at the universe and see Nothing? Or do you look at the universe and only presume this all has to come from a god?
I look at the universe and see wonder all around me.
You want purpose? Our purpose is to use the minds we have evolved to have to not negate that intelligence with mere ghost worship but to use our not inconsiderable powers of intellect to figure it all out, what is going on in that big universe or universes out there. That is a purpose which negates nihilism pretty well squashes it into the ground but only for those who see wonder in the universe not invisible friends.

L

Moves
15 Mar 06

takes all purpose away.
Kelly
"The beach remains." That's some great wisdom. If you want to spend all eternity on your deserted island of a beach with your invisible unicorn of a friend, be my guest. Don't forget your SPF 9,000.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Mar 06

"The beach remains." That's some great wisdom. If you want to spend all eternity on your deserted island of a beach with your invisible unicorn of a friend, be my guest. Don't forget your SPF 9,000.
You mean, when the sun comes up for real about 2 billion years from now and you have a sunrise that actually includes the sun?

L

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
You mean, when the sun comes up for real about 2 billion years from now and you have a sunrise that actually includes the sun?
No. The suntan lotion is for lubrication during the times when KJ and the invisible unicorn have nothing to do but stroke their egos.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Mar 06

No. The suntan lotion is for lubrication during the times when KJ and the invisible unicorn have nothing to do but stroke their egos.
From your stand point time is short, and I have never insulted you
for your views while attempting to understand your position on any
topic. I cannot say you have treated me with the same respect. If
I have brought up invisible unicorns or such point this out, my points
in this discussion as many have said have been that only in life
does anything matter. If the waves roar and spill on a beach like
a life that lives but a short time, they both come and go, the next
wave roars in big or small it matters not, the next generation of life
walks around it would matter not after death either if nothing awaits
all life in the end. Like each wave it would arrive, it would dissipate
and the memory of it will be short lived.

As far as my views that there is an after life, it is not much different
than your short time view of life here. In life things matter, if life
is eternal, than there will be worth that lasts. Just as in this life time
only in life do things matter.

Since this discussion has now been reduced to insulting me, I'll leave
your egos to fiind another to talk about.
Kelly

Hmmm . . .

Moves
15 Mar 06
1 edit

I give up too.
the claim that all paths of life are 'equal' if they end in the same place

I just want to amend my previous post to add that I agree this is a false claim. It strikes me that if I were to adopt that stance, then I would also have to adopt it vis-a-vis my own path(s), which would result in a kind of nihilistic apathy toward my own life. I don't know how anyone could live a value-less life; it seems untenable to me, and I think it would lead right to the primary question in Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus.

N

Moves
15 Mar 06
1 edit

Before you all give up on this thread, the Buddha taught how to cope without belief in a 'god' some 2500 years ago.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Mar 06

Originally posted by Nargaguna
Before you all give up on this thread, the Buddha taught how to cope without belief in a 'god' some 2500 years ago.
And that teaching is? I am curious, thanks for that post, never heard of that before.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Mar 06

I give up too.
Do you have reason to believe that human life is intrinsically valuable? Do you assign collective or individual value?

My apologies if this has been discussed before.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 06

Hasn't Kelly ever heard of abrasive erosion and long shore drift?

In Australia all our waves are depositing sand in one beach while taking it from another. Its ruining some beaches?

What does that mean to Kelly's analogy?