If there is no God, how do we combat nihilism?

If there is no God, how do we combat nihilism?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
04 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Hey! Here's a nice little tidbit from that source:

"This must seem strange to those who have never read the Bible. But anyone who has struggled through its repetitious and tiresome trivia, seemingly endless genealogies, pointless stories and laws, knows that the Bible is not an easy book to read. So it is not surprising that those that begin reading l his 'probing' questions--- so easily answered here and now--- will then be revealed.
I've read the Bible through several times. Sounds like the author of that quote has too.

I have my doubts as to whether you've actually undertaken such a monotonous exercise.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Mar 06

Originally posted by David C
Right next to your Tektonic Ministry link, I imagine.

It's just that you seem a little hopped up on the Jesus juice. You come off like a hysteric baptist who's been to one too many Ray Comfort seminars.
Yea-ssss!!!
Verily, I say unto you, you wretched sinnah, you shall PAY for your deril-ection.
You shall PAY for your denouncements, your de-bauch-er-y.
You shall PAY for your dis-belief whan you SEE Almighty GOD comin' back in the CLOUDS on that righteous day.

Yeah. I kind of sound like that. Pass the offerin' plate, brotha.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Mar 06

Originally posted by telerion
I've read the Bible through several times. Sounds like the author of that quote has too.

I have my doubts as to whether you've actually undertaken such a monotonous exercise.
Read the Bible in its entirety and endanger my faith? Heaven forfend! What, now we're going to engage in a 'who's-read-the-Bible-more-times' debate, as well?
Not that it matters, but I have read the Bible in its entirety many times, and study it regularly. What a surprise, huh?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
04 Mar 06

Funny how a person who had never read the Bible, whose faith was based on ambiguity, is able to pronounce the Bible as "tiresome trivia," and "pointless stories and laws."
You might want to brush up on your reading comprehension.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
04 Mar 06

but I have read the Bible in its entirety many times, and study it regularly. What a surprise, huh?
Not really. Kids cling dearly to their security blankets. Life can be scary, so you cling dearly to your imaginary friend that has promised you that you get to live forever and ever.

Vn

Moves
04 Mar 06

Wow my longest thread, so life isn't nihilistic aftetr all 🙂

S

Moves
04 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Who put that responsibility on anyone to leave something behind?
Important point, why? Isn't it just like you liking one taste of food
over another? Another may feel, “Hey get it while you can, after all
when I'm gone, I'm gone!” You seem to want to imply your ways
of doing things are better than this selfish guy who thinks pleasure
is the goal in life die, it does not matter
if you are wise or a fool once dead and nothing awaits you.
Kelly
But there is no logical connection between how you live your life; either good or bad, and the fact that you die eradicating the worth in it; as you claim.

It is important for you to bring in your faith, because it supports your viewpoint, but there is still no reason for suggesting that because my life ends, I cannot live for any form of right or wrong. You need to stop looking at the end point and start looking at the journey Kelly, just because I'm headed to nothingness does not mean that how I get there is any less unworthy. Nor does it mean that I should not strive to be all I can be and to be as good a man as I can be.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Mar 06

Kids cling dearly to their security blankets.
Just as the rest of your ilk, you rail against what you do not understand, citing the ever-popular fail-safe "de-coder ring conspiracy." Even when it is laid out for you, in logical sequence, you still refuse to acknowledge the points, let alone argue against them with any semblance of reason.
Further, you arrogantly assume that a person of reason can only come to the conclusions you currently hold. There's not a chance that anyone out there in that great big world may have done more research, may have put more thought into it, may have had more thought to put into it in the first place, may have found something you overlooked. Hell, there's not even a chance that you may change your mind, is there? If not, then why are you here?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
04 Mar 06

Further, you arrogantly assume that a person of reason can only come to the conclusions you [b]currently hold.[/b]
"Hello, Mr. Kettle", said Mr. Pot. "You're black!"

Hell, there's not even a chance that you may change your mind, is there?

Probably not. Howabaout you?

If not, then why are you here?

Purely entertainment, I assure you. It's fun watching sanctimonius windbags melt down.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Mar 06

Purely entertainment, I assure you.
"Hello, Mr. Kettle", said Mr. Pot. "You're black!"
Unlike you, I actually give reason for my faith, as well as refutation for others. Unlike you, I realize there are many people on here who exceed my intelligence and/or life experiences, and yet have never heard reasonable arguments for faith in Jesus Christ.

However, I am increasingly persuaded that most here are not looking for reasons to believe. Rather, they--- like you--- are in search of dupes to continue regurgitating the stances for which you are able to (semantically) explain away. When faced with actual logic, and reasoned faith, you fall back to the only thing you know, petty attacks on either the person or the periphery of the issues at hand.

It's fun watching sanctimonius windbags melt down.
By "sanctimonious," I can assume you likely didn't mean me. As can be ascertained from practically any of my posts, I'm about as far from pious as a person can get.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
05 Mar 06

[b]"Hello, Mr. Kettle", said Mr. Pot. "You're black!"
Unlike you, I actually give reason for my faith, as well as refutation for others. Unlike you, I realize there are many people on here who exceed my intelligence and/or life experiences, and yet have never heard reasonable arguments for faith in Jesus Christ.

However, I am increasingly p ...[text shortened]... ned from practically any of my posts, I'm about as far from pious as a person can get.[/b]
Reason for Faith?

Faith, in the way you use it, is the rejection of reason.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Mar 06
5 edits

Originally posted by Starrman
But there is no logical connection between how you live your life; either good or bad, and the fact that you die eradicating the worth in it; as you claim.

It is important for you to bring in your faith, because it supports your viewpoint, but there is still no reason for suggesting that because my life ends, I cannot live for any form of right or wrong. r does it mean that I should not strive to be all I can be and to be as good a man as I can be.
When I'm attempting to avoid inserting my beliefs into this discussion,
and you say things like calling what I say 'self-absorbed'

That's a very selfish (self-absorbed) view on life.

So to avoid that I do inject my beliefs so you can see where I do
stand, in one small portion of several posts and you then say
I have to bring in my faith. I guess I'm not going to worry about
what you think so much any more, with you I'll always being doing
something wrong, so I'll just stick to the subject, your going to slam
me no matter what I say or do, you cannot help yourself I believe.

It is important for you to bring in your faith, because it supports your viewpoint, but there is still no reason for suggesting that because my life ends, I cannot live for any form of right or wrong.

Eveyone brings to the table of every discussion what they think is
right and wrong, you do I do, it is what makes a debate a debate,
the clash views.

You are telling me where I should focus my views, I don't care where
you focus your views. I am simply telling you if the view that there is
nothing at the end of this life, it doesn't matter where you focus your
views as everything all ends up the same way no matter what.

As far as what you do and your views on right and wrong, I'm glad you
have some, what they are again are not important to this discussion.
I can have beliefs in an after life, you can have none, if your right we
both end the same way, the journey for you, the journey for me both
take us to the same place, or lack of place since nothing is nothing.

As I've pointed out to you before, the end is nothing, your path to
get to nothing can be righteous, or evil in your eyes, you being okay
with your path or upset with another's is as unimportant when it is
all said and done as nothing destroys it all. The big picture normally
shows how important each small part of the path really is.
Kelly

S

Moves
05 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
When I'm attempting to avoid inserting my beliefs into this discussion,
and you say things like calling what I say 'self-absorbed'

[b]That's a very selfish (self-absorbed) view on life.

So to avoid that I do inject my beliefs so you can see where I do
stand, in one small portion of several posts and you then say
I have to bring in my faith. I picture normally
shows how important each small part of the path really is.
Kelly[/b]
You're talking from 'when it's all said and done' as a contextual viewpoint. Until we get there, such a stance is counter-intuitive. Whilst we are still alive, there is a very much more worthy viewpoint, that of 'while we're saying and doing it'. You keep echoing the two people who live their lives differently, one for good, one for evil and that they matter for nought when death comes, but duting life there is a very clear difference between them. Saying death makes all that immaterial is just wrong.

At the risk of sounding pretentious, lets try this: If you continue to view life from death's seat, then you will see nothing but death. If you view life from the seat of the living then you will see life.

Life is not made worthless by death, if you cannot see this I don't know how to help you do so. I don't know what else to say to you, but I can assure you that my life is full of worth, whether death comes or not and whether there is an afterlife or not.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
05 Mar 06

[b]"Hello, Mr. Kettle", said Mr. Pot. "You're black!"

However, I am increasingly p ...[text shortened]... ned from practically any of my posts, I'm about as far from pious as a person can get.[/b]
And here is the crux of a debate that seems likely to extend well into our futures - and certainly has been around long before us.
To me, your claim about reasoned faith seems incongruous, since religious faith seems to be the grasping onto something without reason, or despite reason.
To you, the reason is clear and obvious and the arguments (not very good ones coming from me I'll concede) against religious faith are not.
Is there a way around this?
I think not.

But it is fun to keep arguing. Don't you just love a good argument?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
05 Mar 06

I'm about as far from pious as a person can get.
um, yeah...you're a regular leather-clad bad boy in the Army of the Lord.