1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    02 Nov '11 14:52
    If we think of grasping truth as a bungy jump...


    If we think of grasping truth as a bungy jump from a high golden bridge spanning life on earth with eternity... what questions logically arise relative to toll booths if any; bridge construction materials; supreme confidence or doubt one moment before the jump; proven test strength of the cord; probable time dangling in harness; safe recovery provisions below; likely look of the distant shore, etc?

    Thoughts...
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    14522
    02 Nov '11 18:33
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]If we think of grasping truth as a bungy jump...


    If we think of grasping truth as a bungy jump from a high golden bridge spanning life on earth with eternity... what questions logically arise relative to toll booths if any; bridge construction materials; supreme confidence or doubt one moment before the jump; proven test strength of t ...[text shortened]... n harness; safe recovery provisions below; likely look of the distant shore, etc?

    Thoughts...[/b]
    Hey Boston Lad, I hope everything is well with you and yoursšŸ™‚

    I grasp truth as him although I cannot touch him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T_Io7jbHsYs

    šŸ˜µ
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    02 Nov '11 21:071 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]If we think of grasping truth as a bungy jump...


    If we think of grasping truth as a bungy jump from a high golden bridge spanning life on earth with eternity... what questions logically arise relative to toll booths if any; bridge construction materials; supreme confidence or doubt one moment before the jump; proven test strength of t ...[text shortened]... n harness; safe recovery provisions below; likely look of the distant shore, etc?

    Thoughts...[/b]
    This might be a misinterpretation but anyway: I believe that for all the calculations and estimations I can think about, I will not know my thoughts until I am on that bridge. But here is something my late sister found to be more useful than the idea of being on a bridge. Imagine not being on a bridge, but being the captain of a ship you are guiding to a port. While heading toward a port is not optional, it could be a port of your choosing. Those whose advice and support you depend upon, are your staff. Don't forget you are the captain.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    02 Nov '11 22:031 edit
    Originally posted by JS357

    This might be a misinterpretation but anyway: I believe that for all the calculations and estimations I can think about, I will not know my thoughts until I am on that bridge. But here is something my late sister found to be more useful than the idea of being on a bridge. Imagine not being on a bridge, but being the captain of a ship you are guiding to a por ...[text shortened]... ose whose advice and support you depend upon, are your staff. Don't forget you are the captain.
    Interesting. Nautical works nicely because new horizons and variable weather are implied. Impetus with the thread, this morning, was nothing more or less than a spontaneous attempt to rejuvenate Albert Einstein's 'leap of faith' with a contemporary virgin (far as I know) metaphor. No essential premise or conclusion, only the recognition that elements of risk and consequences are involved.

    gb
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    02 Nov '11 22:07
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Hey Boston Lad, I hope everything is well with you and yoursšŸ™‚

    I grasp truth as him although I cannot touch him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T_Io7jbHsYs

    šŸ˜µ
    Salutes to you as well, Kind Sir. Unfortunately unable to see Nezhmetdinov,

    right now, due to temporary browser upgrade issues. All best wishes. -gb
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    02 Nov '11 23:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Interesting. Nautical works nicely because new horizons and variable weather are implied. Impetus with the thread, this morning, was nothing more or less than a spontaneous attempt to rejuvenate Albert Einstein's 'leap of faith' with a contemporary virgin (far as I know) metaphor. No essential premise or conclusion, only the recognition that elements of risk and consequences are involved.

    gb
    Now that I think about it a little more, the bridge of a ship works too. Would the captain jump off the bridge, if he sees that the port that he is steering toward comes into view as one he'd rather not visit, or is there always time to renavigate? I appreciate no essential premise or conclusion on this thread; just ponderings.
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    03 Nov '11 01:27
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]If we think of grasping truth as a bungy jump...


    If we think of grasping truth as a bungy jump from a high golden bridge spanning life on earth with eternity... what questions logically arise relative to toll booths if any; bridge construction materials; supreme confidence or doubt one moment before the jump; proven test strength of t ...[text shortened]... n harness; safe recovery provisions below; likely look of the distant shore, etc?

    Thoughts...[/b]
    I don't know why, but I just can't think of truth as a bungee jump. I think of truth as light dispelling the darkness of ignorants and lies.
  8. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    38013
    03 Nov '11 02:072 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]If we think of grasping truth as a bungy jump...


    If we think of grasping truth as a bungy jump from a high golden bridge spanning life on earth with eternity... what questions logically arise relative to toll booths if any; bridge construction materials; supreme confidence or doubt one moment before the jump; proven test strength of t ...[text shortened]... n harness; safe recovery provisions below; likely look of the distant shore, etc?

    Thoughts...[/b]
    There is this void I've always had in my mind; a major weakness. When I was a student in school, this void would completely prevent me from grasping (a) many poems, and (b) old English literature. Imagine my horror when my high school teacher told me I had to write a term paper on John Milton's epic poem written in old English, Paradise Lost.

    I crammed on the last night with Cliff's Notes and a typewriter, and got a C out of it.

    Anyway, it's this void that you have reminded me for the first time in years, that I obviously still have. I read your post not once, not twice, but thrice. And I still don't get it.

    Whatever part of my brain that is supposed to understand what you wrote, is completely stunted or perhaps nonexistent altogether.

    Sorry bro. That's the only contribution I can give.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    03 Nov '11 15:092 edits
    Originally posted by josephw

    I don't know why, but I just can't think of truth as a bungee jump. I think of truth as light dispelling the darkness of ignorants and lies.
    Would you consider the possibility that the apprehension/acquisition of any truth may involve a gradual or sudden 'letting go' of the cultural biase, truth mixed with error and outright falsehood cruthes we've held onto for decades if not since childhood? Einstein's brilliant intellect went as far as it could go with empiricism and rationalism... and then made a historic 'leap of faith', resulting in the discovery of the absolute truth and mechanics of the theory of relativity. Albert's word 'leap' suggested the action phrase 'bungy jump' which seemed to communicate the process learning the truth (which remains man's primary desire) more graphically. That's all.

    gb
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    03 Nov '11 15:221 edit
    Originally posted by sumydid

    There is this void I've always had in my mind; a major weakness. When I was a student in school, this void would completely prevent me from grasping (a) many poems, and (b) old English literature. Imagine my horror when my high school teacher told me I had to write a term paper on John Milton's epic poem written in old English, Paradise Lost.

    or perhaps nonexistent altogether.

    Sorry bro. That's the only contribution I can give.
    "Anyway, it's this void that you have reminded me for the first time in years, that I obviously still have. I read your post not once, not twice, but thrice. And I still don't get it."

    Greetings on a fine and dandy rainy Thursday before 2011 NFL Week #9, Sumy. Any chance you may possibly be guilty of the gross intellectual sin of fingering a wisp of an idea to its untimely death with the long 'Freddie Lawnmower Fingers' of overthink?


    šŸ˜‰
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91921
    03 Nov '11 17:02
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Would you consider the possibility that the apprehension/acquisition of any truth may involve a gradual or sudden 'letting go' of the cultural biase, truth mixed with error and outright falsehood cruthes we've held onto for decades if not since childhood? Einstein's brilliant intellect went as far as it could go with empiricism and rationalism... and th ...[text shortened]... the truth (which remains man's primary desire) more graphically. That's all.

    gb
    I dont know man...I'm with Sumy on this, I cant really relate to a bungy jump.

    How about leaping out of a plane? Or just leaping out of bed? Whats the bungy cord for? Coming back ? šŸ˜•
  12. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    04 Nov '11 01:41
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Would you consider the possibility that the apprehension/acquisition of any truth may involve a gradual or sudden 'letting go' of the cultural biase, truth mixed with error and outright falsehood cruthes we've held onto for decades if not since childhood? Einstein's brilliant intellect went as far as it could go with empiricism and rationalism... and th ...[text shortened]... the truth (which remains man's primary desire) more graphically. That's all.

    gb
    Well, I don't know Bobby. You see, my issue is with the terms, words and phrases you have been using. In your OP you said "If we think of grasping truth...", and in the post above you're suggesting that a "leap of faith" and "bungee jumping" are synonymous terms for describing the event of realising truth, whether gradual or sudden.

    My point will be difficult to make. I don't wish to be contradictory or argumentative, but such analogies as leaps of faith and bungee jumping, in my opinion, are arbitrary when facing the truth, and have only humanistic relevance with little or no scriptural support. In fact, the bible teaches that we are to be "transformed by the renewing of our minds". And while that transformation may be gradual at times and sudden at others, the process is facilitated by the Word of God.

    "Letting go" of cultural biases, errors and falsehoods can only be legitimately accomplished in the believer, and only with the Word of God as one absorbs it into one's inner man. A "leap of faith" is suggestive of a dive into the unknown. I don't believe the idea exists within the scripture. Faith is trusting in what God has said. The believer, imbued with the Holy Spirit, is empowered by God's truth(Word), and is subsequently able to discern the difference between error and truth. Not necessarily all at once all the time, but certainly gradually through a life time.

    Whether I'm right or wrong, I say this because of the context of this forum, and in keeping with my understanding of the topic. Which isn't much.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Nov '11 02:57
    Originally posted by josephw
    Well, I don't know Bobby. You see, my issue is with the terms, words and phrases you have been using. In your OP you said "If we think of grasping truth...", and in the post above you're suggesting that a "leap of faith" and "bungee jumping" are synonymous terms for describing the event of realising truth, whether gradual or sudden.

    My point will be diff ...[text shortened]... forum, and in keeping with my understanding of the topic. Which isn't much.
    Inclined to agree in whole or in part with most every point of view you've expressed. Believe the primary difference is tone: You're dead serious and strictly doctrinnaire out of conviction. I'm that way at times and at others sowewhat experimental and playful.

    gb
  14. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    04 Nov '11 08:05
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Inclined to agree in whole or in part with most every point of view you've expressed. Believe the primary difference is tone: You're dead serious and strictly doctrinnaire out of conviction. I'm that way at times and at others sowewhat experimental and playful.

    gb
    I hear ya brother. Sometimes it seems this forum brings out the worst in me, although I'm trying to give it my best.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Nov '11 08:51
    Originally posted by josephw

    I hear ya brother. Sometimes it seems this forum brings out the worst in me, although I'm trying to give it my best.
    No worries, friend.

    We're participating by choice in a global public forum (purpose of which is the open expression and discussion of ideas) not sitting mute in some austere courtroom awaiting a jury's deliberations, verdict and the robed judge's sentencing. What's the last church joke or funny story you've heard? Tell it here. Wel all get a good, much needed laugh and nobody's underwear gets tight or bunches.

    šŸ˜€
Back to Top