If you belive in the Big Bang therory can you p...

If you belive in the Big Bang therory can you p...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
18 Sep 07

I would just like to know???

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
18 Sep 07

Originally posted by LivingForJesus
I would just like to know?
As your thread title was truncated, I am assuming you want to know if those who believe in the big bang theory can prove it.

I'll save you the time. No, they can't prove it. Yes, they have evidence supporting it. If you even consider using this as an argument along the lines of "Well, you might not be able to prove God, but you can't prove the Big Bang Theory, either!" then don't be surprised to get several people defining "atheism" for you, and explaining that the "burden of proof" lies in your hands.

I know this from experience.

L

Moves
18 Sep 07

Originally posted by wittywonka
As your thread title was truncated, I am assuming you want to know if those who believe in the big bang theory can prove it.

I'll save you the time. No, they can't prove it. Yes, they have evidence supporting it. If you even consider using this as an argument along the lines of "Well, you might not be able to prove God, but you can't prove the Big B ...[text shortened]... laining that the "burden of proof" lies in your hands.

I know this from experience.
okay but athiesm usally belives in the Big Bang!

g

Moves
18 Sep 07

okay but athiesm usally belives in the Big Bang!
One can certainly be an atheist and not believe in the Big Bang, just as one can be a theist and believe in the Big Bang.

It is noteworthy that when the Big Bang Theory was originally put forth, many scientists objected to it on the grounds that it seemed too much like the instantaneous creation implied by Genesis 1:1.

L

Moves
18 Sep 07

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
One can certainly be an atheist and not believe in the Big Bang, just as one can be a theist and believe in the Big Bang.

It is noteworthy that when the Big Bang Theory was originally put forth, many scientists objected to it on the grounds that it seemed too much like the instantaneous creation implied by Genesis 1:1.
okay then what do athiest belived happended on how the earth was created

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
18 Sep 07

okay then what do athiest belived happended on how the earth was created
Atheism is not a belief system in the same way as religious beliefs. Atheists don't have a creation myth or any set of stories to explain the nature of the world.
Having said that, most atheists would probably consider that the scientific explanations and models give us the best description of and explanation for the world around us.

L

Moves
18 Sep 07

Originally posted by amannion
Atheism is not a belief system in the same way as religious beliefs. Atheists don't have a creation myth or any set of stories to explain the nature of the world.
Having said that, most atheists would probably consider that the scientific explanations and models give us the best description of and explanation for the world around us.
so how can they explain the world though

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
18 Sep 07

so how can they explain the world though
Atheism doesn't explain the world, so asking how an atheist explains the world is like asking a christian how they explain pizzas. It doesn't make any sense.
If you're asking how a scientist explains the world, then for many (but not all - there are dissenters) this would occur through the model that is generically known as the Big Bang theory.

L

Moves
18 Sep 07

Atheism doesn't explain the world, so asking how an atheist explains the world is like asking a christian how they explain pizzas. It doesn't make any sense.
If you're asking how a scientist explains the world, then for many (but not all - there are dissenters) this would occur through the model that is generically known as the Big Bang theory.
yeah but the Big Bang therory makes no sense

w

Moves
18 Sep 07
1 edit

Athiesm does not have a belief system that reflects a creation myth? What of abiogenesis? One way or another we were formed/created. The only question is was this accomplished via a higher power or dumb luck?

w

Moves
18 Sep 07
1 edit

And God said, let their be light!!! The question is, light from what? I don't thik he is talking about a light bulb being turned on do you?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
18 Sep 07

Originally posted by whodey
Athiesm does not have a belief system that reflects a creation myth? What of abiogenesis? One way or another we were formed/created. The only question is was this accomplished via a higher power or dumb luck?
Abiogenesis is a scientific model, NOT an atheist belief. While many atheists may believe that life formed from some sort of abiogenesis-like process this is not the same as saying that therefore atheism = abiogenesis.

L

Moves
18 Sep 07

Originally posted by whodey
can you explain a little better!!!!!!

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
18 Sep 07

Obviously it makes no sense to you.
Why not? Tell me the problem(s) you have with the idea ...

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
18 Sep 07

can you explain a little better!!!!!!
Abiogenesis is the basic principle that life arose from non-living material.