1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 19:28
    Originally posted by vivify
    I wouldn't want to be immortal because one day, all life on earth will be extinguished. Then, an immortal would be completely alone. After that, the earth will be consumed by the sun, and I'd have to suffer for about a billion years in what I imagine is like what our loving god will send most of us. When the sun explodes as a supernova, I'll be caught in t ...[text shortened]... , occasionally getting pummeled by asteroids or even comets at many thousands of miles per hour.
    Well, when you put it like that, maybe not exist forever then. Though, if all the people you love and cheerish also choose immortality, you can float in space together. 🙄
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 19:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We could go to the stars, where a trip might take 500 years there and back.
    That's the spirit. It would provide much time to hone our chess skills, maybe even discover the perfect game.
  3. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 19:45
    Originally posted by C Hess
    I agree that if it was mandatory it would be a horrible experience if you're tired of living and wish to die. In fact, personally I don't think of it as suicide to decline the offer of medicine to prolong life if one doesn't want to, but I'd like to know how different believers view this.
    It would be hypothetical at best.

I am a believer, a Christian.

I think it really wouldn't make much difference in the world. Some thinking they would escape death, like elves, I suppose, might keep to themselves. But war even comes to the elves (Hobbit) . What stops a living forever person form being killed anyways.
  4. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 19:48
    I agree that if it was mandatory it would be a horrible experience if you're tired of living and wish to die. In fact, personally I don't think of it as suicide to decline the offer of medicine to prolong life if one doesn't want to, but I'd like to know how different believers view this.
    immortality: I suppose we would be like God? Lucifer thought that way too you know.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 20:10
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    immortality: I suppose we would be like God? Lucifer thought that way too you know.
    Is that all god is? Immortal?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 20:15
    That is his mythology talking.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 20:30
    ...would you choose to be immortal.

Say scientists manage to extend your life indefinitely, as a religious person, would you choose not to accept this gift, and why? As an atheist I'd be thrilled, of course. Also, if you choose not to accept this gift from science, is that the same as suicide? And what would your god think of that?
    No...What if Hitler had eternal life? What about serial killers, rapists, etc.?
    What if you were a cripple? Blind, deaf, or mute?
    Oh, you just mean you?
    To be immortal with evil in your heart would be a curse.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 21:27

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 22:23
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Also as an atheist: yes, in heartbeat. I find death to be a horrible side effect of life.
    Also as an atheist: yes, in heartbeat. I find death to be a horrible side effect of life.

If you think of the death of your material being as "horrible", the prospect of your immaterial being [you, GKR's soul] separated from God for eternity is unfathomable. It's the permanent "effect" of rejecting the person and work of Christ.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 22:35
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Also as an atheist: yes, in heartbeat. I find death to be a horrible side effect of life.

If you think of the death of your material being as "horrible", the prospect of your immaterial being [you, GKR's soul] separated from God for eternity is unfathomable. It's the permanent "effect" of rejecting the person and work of Christ.[/b]
    Does it sometimes bother you - especially at night when you're all alone - that you are never ever going to speak to your deceased wife again and that you yourself are quite close to dying?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 03:322 edits
    So, I take it you would choose not to be immortal in your flesh? Is it suicide if you choose not to live as long as you can?
    What do you mean "immortal in your flesh" ?

No, I don't consider not living to the possiblr extent of your days to be suicide, necessarily.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 06:16
    i said like God, not be God. And no, that is not all God is.
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 10:09
    It would be hypothetical at best.
    Of course it's hypothetical. And while we recognise that, we can add that not only won't you age, but you'll be indestructable. If your balls are caught in a harvester, new balls grow out. If your head is severed from your body, a new identical head grows out, in seconds. You just can't die while on this treatment.
  14. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 10:11
    Originally posted by sonship
    What do you mean "immortal in your flesh" ?

No, I don't consider not living to the possiblr extent of your days to be suicide, necessarily.
    I mean your physical body can't die.

So if you could have your life extended on life support, yet you choose for life support to be turned off, that's not suicide? I agree.
  15. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 10:12
    i said like God, not be God. And no, that is not all God is.
    Point taken. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree