1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 14:014 edits
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Point taken. 🙂
    Actually the salvation of God is that we become God in His communicable attributes.

Christ came not only to redeem sinners but to turn them into sons of God.
    That is to be God in life and in nature but not in the Godhead.

In eternity the saved will not be objects of worship.
    Nor will they be omnipresent, omipotent, and omniscient.
    Nor will they be creators of universes.

But to be sons of God is to be God extended into humanity.
    For God to have sons is for God to dispense His life and nature into man.
    We may certainly say that is not only to be like God but to be God.

What is the son of a horse?
    The son of a horse is a horse.

What is the son of a whale?
    The son of a whale is a whale.

What is the son of a man?
    The son of a man is a man.

Now, what is the son of God?
    The son of God is God.

So the Bible's salvation is not simply to be forgiven and justified.
    Nor is it merely to be granted immortality.
    Though these are included they are all FOR an ultimate other goal.
    And that goal is to make us God ... God in life and in nature but He retains the Godhead as the eternal Source and Head of this corporate entity.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 14:051 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Does it sometimes bother you - especially at night when you're all alone - that you are never ever going to speak to your deceased wife again and that you yourself are quite close to dying?
    Human love is based on sentiment: we love people and things we're fond of and appreciate. God's love is based on His Integrity: Righteousness [Divine Standards] and Justice [Absolute Fairness]. His Divine Attributes also include Immutability: His Integrity never changes. Whether with believers or unbelievers in Christ, God cannot deny Himself. The more I learn about God and His Plan to reconcile fallen man unto Himself, without interfering with individual volition, the deeper my respect for Him and His Unfailing Love becomes. I never questioned the near death paralysis in early 2011; whether for testing or discipline, I accepted it as part of His plan and purpose for my life; nor did I question my dear wife's departure from this life to be face to face with her Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ more than a decade ago. By the way, this elegant and highly intelligent lady who was an unbeliever when we met had no apprehension, anxiety or fear of dying or death because she was a beneficiary of Dying Grace. In God's perfect time Evelyn and I will be together again; this time for eternity.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 14:31
    Originally posted by vivify
    I wouldn't want to be immortal because one day, all life on earth will be extinguished. Then, an immortal would be completely alone. After that, the earth will be consumed by the sun, and I'd have to suffer for about a billion years in what I imagine is like what our loving god will send most of us. When the sun explodes as a supernova, I'll be caught in that explosion of intense heat, gravity pulling my body in the most unimaginable pain possible.

Vivify, you do not understand the eternal purpose of God. This will not be a concern for the sons of God because the creation is THERE because of them.

The New Testament says the whole creation eagerly awaits the manifestation of the sons of God. That is not indifferent stars and nebula and galaxies going on their way with no regard to the sons of God. But the universe is headed up in their benefit and welfare.

Right here - look -

"For the anxious watching of the creation eagerly awaits the revelation of the sons of God.

For the creation was made subject to vanity, not of its own will, but because of Him who subjected it.

In hope that the creation itself will also be freed from the slavery of corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

For we know that the whole creation groans together and travails in pain together until now. And not only so, but we ourselves also, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit even we ourselves groan in ourselves eagerly awaiting sonship, the redemption of our body." (See Romans 8:19-23)

As long as the Son of God resurrected and ascended and has been enthroned as Lord of all, you do not have to worry about the creation and the universe being out of sync with the sons of God.

Then, when it's all over, I'll spend eternity in an unbearably freezing cold wasteland of space, floating aimlessly forever, eventually forgetting everyone I knew and loved, forgetting what things I used to enjoy, and maybe even forgetting who I was, floating, occasionally getting pummeled by asteroids or even comets at many thousands of miles per hour.

God created the universe FOR His sons and His eternal purpose. It would not make sense for it to rot and run down once He has obtained His sons.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 01:22
    Originally posted by sonship
    [quote] I wouldn't want to be immortal because one day, all life on earth will be extinguished. Then, an immortal would be completely alone. After that, the earth will be consumed by the sun, and I'd have to suffer for about a billion years in what I imagine is like what our loving god will send most of us. When the sun explodes as a supernova, I'll be caugh ...[text shortened]... ernal purpose. It would not make sense for it to rot and run down once He has obtained His sons.
    If you could be immortal you would probably go insane before the first thousand years.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 02:01
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Does it sometimes bother you - especially at night when you're all alone - that you are never ever going to speak to your deceased wife again and that you yourself are quite close to dying?
    I rather think that he knows he will one day speak to her again and that dying to him simply means that time is drawing nearer.

DISCLAIMER: Of course I do not speak for GB and do not wish to put words in his mouth, but if the situation were reversed, this is how I would see it.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 02:13
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I rather think that he knows he will one day speak to her again and that dying to him simply means that time is drawing nearer.
    I have no doubt that believing such things helps many people to come to terms with the death and absence of loved ones. The way I cope with loss of this kind is to remember the positive things and to contemplate the achievements and influence of the departed person that continue to be perceived. I used to believe that I would meet them again in the "afterlife" but I don't any more, and I no longer need to use that belief in reunion as a coping/grieving mechanism.
  7. Joined
    15 Dec '13
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 03:062 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If you could be immortal you would probably go insane before the first thousand years.
    You do realize that that was not my quote, I hope.
    I wouldn't want to be immortal because one day, all life on earth will be extinguished. Then, an immortal would be completely alone. After that, the earth will be consumed by the sun, and I'd have to suffer for about a billion years in what I im etc. etc. etc.

I think that was King Rat?

I do not worry about either boredom or insanity in the future.
    I do have some thoughts about the SHOCK of seeing the glorified resurrected Jesus Christ.

There are a number of people in the Bible who displayed signs of shock upon God's glory being manifested to them face to face.

But I am not terrified or worried about it.

- sonship
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 03:221 edit
    Originally posted by sonship

"For we know that the whole creation groans together and travails in pain together until now."
    What does this mean?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 03:32
    What does this mean?
    While you're at it you can ask him what "[unbelievers suffering eternal torture] ...will glorify Him with their endless woe. They will be hung out in chains of punishment as an example to deter other worlds" means and where he got it from.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 04:10

DISCLAIMER: Of course I do not speak for GB and do not wish to put words in his mouth, but if the situation were reversed, this is how I would see it.
    We're in synch.....
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 22:061 edit
    "For we know that the whole creation groans together and travails in pain together until now."

What does this mean?
    It means that all creation was created for the kingdom of God and for the blessing of the sons of God.

I don't know exactly what Paul meant in terms of a tree or fish or cloud or mountain "groaning".

I think I get the general picture that creation is out of place as long as man is out of place with God. And when the humans who choose salvation are made right with God, the creation will be made right.

All things will be properly headed up in Jesus Christ. Right now the creation is in what we call a universal heap of collapse. All things "long" or "groan" to be headed up in Christ - in a paradise like order.

God most certainly knows more about this then we do. It could be that there is something actually "groaning" in the natural world for liberation.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jan '15 12:37
    Originally posted by gswilm
    You do realize that that was not my quote, I hope.
    I wouldn't want to be immortal because one day, all life on earth will be extinguished. Then, an immortal would be completely alone. After that, the earth will be consumed by the sun, and I'd have to suffer for about a billion years in what I im etc. etc. etc.

I think that was K ...[text shortened]... fested to them face to face.

But I am not terrified or worried about it.

- sonship
    If you were truly immortal, you would wait to the extinction of humanity and there would STILL be no show of your precious Jesus.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '15 13:471 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If you were truly immortal, you would wait to the extinction of humanity and there would STILL be no show of your precious Jesus.
    I hate to dignify your posts with a serious reply.

But Jesus is indeed precious.
    And Jesus is indeed trustworthy.

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away." (Matt. 24:35)
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Jan '15 13:52

Being a bit liberal with the word "know(s)" there, aren't you? Don't you mean "believe". Don't you most definitely not mean "know" since that goes square against the concept of believing?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '15 13:541 edit
    The eternal life which God dispenses into the saved is union with Himself. As long as the Triune God is, the believer in Christ will co-live in union with the God.

We expect God cannot not be and therefore the Life of God dispensed into man indeed is eternal not in quality and in duration.

I love the way John closes his first epistle -

" And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understading that we might know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ.

This is the true God and eternal life.

Little children, guard yourselves from idols." (1 John 5:20,21)

Nothing and no one and no affair or any other matter can replace "the true God and eternal life."

Other things we may enjoy and own. But if we are devoid of Christ we are empty still. And if we attempt to replace Christ with anything else good or bad, it is just a vain "idol".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree