If you could be immortal...

If you could be immortal...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
16 Jan 15
2 edits

...would you choose to be immortal.

Say scientists manage to extend your life indefinitely, as a religious person, would you choose not to accept this gift, and why? As an atheist I'd be thrilled, of course. Also, if you choose not to accept this gift from science, is that the same as suicide? And what would your god think of that?

D

Moves
16 Jan 15

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Jan 15
1 edit

Originally posted by C Hess

Say scientists manage to extend your life indefinitely, as a religious person, would you choose not to accept this gift, and why? As an atheist I'd be thrilled, of course. Also, if you choose not to accept this gift from science, is that the same as suicide? And what would your god think of that?
I notice that a lot of people here speak of "this gift" as immortality or everlasting life or even eternal life.

What folks fail to comprehend is that the gift is really God Himself. It is not something apart from Christ Himself, as some "thing" you put into your pocket.

What is more valuable than God Himself?
Nothing could possibly be more precious than God, embodied as Jesus Christ, as the Holy Spirit of divine life imparted into us.

This "gift" is a Person. Now try to think of a PERSON when you now read this passage -

Romans 6:23

New American Standard Bible
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

King James Bible
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The GIFT is God Himself compounded into our being.
The GIFT is Christ mingled with our being.

Once again, think A PERSON, when you read "eternal life".

John 3:16

Holman Christian Standard Bible
"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.

International Standard Version
"For this is how God loved the world: He gave his unique Son so that everyone who believes in him might not be lost but have eternal life.

The GIFT is that Living One Who is ultimate dispensed and compounded into your being so that He becomes You and You become Him. That is for a collective and corporate expression of the union of humanity and divinity for eternity.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Jan 15
1 edit

I heard it said we wouldn't have enough memory to last more than a thousand years max, after that it would be rerun city. Although a thousand years from now, maybe even 200, ways could be made to vastly increase our memory capacity and recallability. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be able to recall all of the last 1000 years of ones life.

Infidel

Moves
16 Jan 15

Also as an atheist: yes, in heartbeat. I find death to be a horrible side effect of life.

Moves
16 Jan 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Like with all progress, some businesses will suffer, I guess.

Moves
16 Jan 15

Originally posted by sonship
I notice that a lot of people here speak of "this gift" as immortality or everlasting life or even [b]eternal life.

What folks fail to comprehend is that the gift is really God Himself. It is not something apart from Christ Himself, as some "thing" you put into your pocket.

What is more valuable than God Himself?
Nothing could possibly be m ...[text shortened]... is for a collective and corporate expression of the union of humanity and divinity for eternity.[/b]
So, I take it you would choose not to be immortal in your flesh? Is it suicide if you choose not to live as long as you can?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Jan 15

But you've already rejected this gift from God.

So, what you're saying is that you would rather believe sinful Man than God?

That's your right, I suppose, but just watch out for that 'ulterior motive'.

Moves
16 Jan 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
I heard it said we wouldn't have enough memory to last more than a thousand years max, after that it would be rerun city. Although a thousand years from now, maybe even 200, ways could be made to vastly increase our memory capacity and recallability. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be able to recall all of the last 1000 years of ones life.
Perhaps a rerun would be desirable after a thousand years, I don't know. I'd like to know.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Jan 15

Perhaps a rerun would be desirable after a thousand years, I don't know. I'd like to know.
Like in 'Total Recall'?

Yeah, how did that work out?

P

Moves
16 Jan 15

To add to this, in the concepts of government interaction. What if the government made it mandatory. As you said, would it be considered suicide if I were against it.

Personally, I would not want to go beyond my natural years.

Moves
16 Jan 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
But you've already rejected this gift from God.

So, what you're saying is that you would rather believe sinful Man than God?

That's your right, I suppose, but just watch out for that 'ulterior motive'.
I don't even believe god exists. That's like saying I reject supermans protection. It means nothing to me. As an atheist I'm convinced this life is what I get, and so I try to make the most of it. It sure would help if I had an extra thousand or so years.

rain

Moves
16 Jan 15
1 edit

I wouldn't want to be immortal because one day, all life on earth will be extinguished. Then, an immortal would be completely alone. After that, the earth will be consumed by the sun, and I'd have to suffer for about a billion years in what I imagine is like what our loving god will send most of us. When the sun explodes as a supernova, I'll be caught in that explosion of intense heat, gravity pulling my body in the most unimaginable pain possible.

Then, when it's all over, I'll spend eternity in an unbearably freezing cold wasteland of space, floating aimlessly forever, eventually forgetting everyone I knew and loved, forgetting what things I used to enjoy, and maybe even forgetting who I was, floating, occasionally getting pummeled by asteroids or even comets at many thousands of miles per hour.

Moves
16 Jan 15

Originally posted by Pudgenik
To add to this, in the concepts of government interaction. What if the government made it mandatory. As you said, would it be considered suicide if I were against it.

Personally, I would not want to go beyond my natural years.
I agree that if it was mandatory it would be a horrible experience if you're tired of living and wish to die. In fact, personally I don't think of it as suicide to decline the offer of medicine to prolong life if one doesn't want to, but I'd like to know how different believers view this.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Jan 15

I agree that if it was mandatory it would be a horrible experience if you're tired of living and wish to die. In fact, personally I don't think of it as suicide to decline the offer of medicine to prolong life if one doesn't want to, but I'd like to know how different believers view this.
We could go to the stars, where a trip might take 500 years there and back.