1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:08
    If you don’t believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ His Son, if you don’t believe in the resurrection and that He conquering death, that He’s coming back again, why would you follow His teachings? 🙄
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:10
    He got them from me.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:13
    Originally posted by @apathist
    He got them from me.
    You sound like you could be 2018 years old.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:19
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    If you don’t believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ His Son, if you don’t believe in the resurrection and that He conquering death, that He’s coming back again, why would you follow His teachings? 🙄
    Some people might find stuff like the Sermon on the Mount, even when stripped of its superstitious content, to be a pretty good template for living life in a morally sound way.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:20
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Some people might find stuff like the Sermon on the Mount, even when stripped of its superstitious content, to be a pretty good template for living life in a morally sound way.
    Would would they if it encompasses no truth?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:24
    Would would they if it encompasses no truth?
    Because they might find that it contains good, thought-provoking ideas pertaining to living a morally sound life, like I said.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:26
    Because they might find that it contains good, thought-provoking ideas pertaining to living a morally sound life, like I said.
    Sure, but they would never be obligatory unless the person believed they were coming from God.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:28
    By and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within themselves. What's more, I find much of what was attributed to Him to be remarkably deep and quite profound. As such, by and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be "true".

I don't share that view of the mythology and beliefs that the NT writers wrapped around them. At best, they can merely echo His words. At worst, they deviate from His words and at times substantially so.

I certainly don't share many of the beliefs espoused by many Christians - many of which are antithetical to what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:29
    Sure, but they would never be obligatory unless the person believed they were coming from God.
    Maybe the people you are talking about in your OP are not concerned in the slightest about your notions of things being "obligatory" because they are "coming from God". People are able to live morally sound lives even without subscribing to your religion.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:33
    Maybe the people you are talking about in your OP are not concerned in the slightest about your notions of things being "obligatory" because they are "coming from God". People are able to live morally sound lives even without subscribing to your religion.
    Would they still be able to live a morally sound life if they chose to ignore the teachings of Jesus?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:34
    Would they still be able to live a morally sound life if they chose to ignore the teachings of Jesus?
    It would appear that billions and billions of people do.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:35
    The teachings of Christ are written in the hearts of all men.
    They are the core teachings of all religions.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:35
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    By and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within themselves. What's more, I find much of what was attributed to Him to be remarkably deep and quite profound. As such, by and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be "true".

I don't shar ...[text shortened]... many Christians - many of which are antithetical to what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth.
    From the Gospels quote one sentence attributed which you think Jesus didn't speak.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:37
    You sound like you could be 2018 years old.
    I was serious.

You do need approval, don't you.

Haven't you been interested in what the rest of the world thinks? That isn't a thing for you? Other views are of no use as we try to puzzle out.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 02:44
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    The teachings of Christ are written in the hearts of all men.
    They are the core teachings of all religions.
    Or, the hearts of all (humans(!)) are writ in the 'teachings' of 'christ'.

This isn't rocket surgery. People wrote all books, zeus and shiva and yahweh are made up.

For a reason! But you are not enlightened enough to contribute.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree