1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 05:32
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Insofar as I can tell, there is no logical progression in your question making or in your conclusions..

I really think it would help if you just plainly stated your points if you have any instead of your usual tactic of asking chains of questions. Can you do that? At least I'd have a frame of reference from which to work.
    Ever since I have returned to this site it has seemed to me that you have been arguing that we ought to follow the teachings of Christ. Is this view of mine correct or not?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 05:343 edits
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Ever since I have returned to this site it has seemed to me that you have been arguing that we ought to follow the teachings of Christ. Is this view of mine correct or not?
    I've been advocating for the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. I've been doing this for almost as long as I've been posting in this forum.

Once again, if you have points to make, then just plainly state them. I don't understand why you refuse to do so.

I could really use a frame of reference here. Articulate your position and plainly state your points.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 06:27
    I've been advocating for the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. I've been doing this for almost as long as I've been posting in this forum.

Once again, if you have points to make, then just plainly state them. I don't understand why you refuse to do so.

I could really use a frame of reference here. Articulate your position and plainly state your points.
    Why are you advocating for the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry if you believe his teachings are merely optional? 🙄
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 06:411 edit
    Why are you advocating for the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry if you believe his teachings are merely optional? 🙄
    Articulate your position and plainly state your points. I don't understand why you refuse to do so.

I really think it would help if you just plainly stated your points if you have any instead of your usual tactic of asking chains of questions. Can you do that? At least I'd have a frame of reference from which to work.

Are you unable to clearly articulate your position and state your points?
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 06:51
    Articulate your position and plainly state your points. I don't understand why you refuse to do so.

Are you unable to clearly articulate your position and state your points?
    What position of mine? If you have any specific questions ask them and I will answer. Everyone knows what my position is. I am asking you a question about your position. Your dodge to my straightforward, specific question is noted yet again.

Why are you advocating for the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry if you believe his teachings are merely optional?

Are you unable to answer this question?
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 06:581 edit
    What position of mine? If you have any specific questions ask them and I will answer. Everyone knows what my position is. I am asking you a question about your position. Your dodge to my straightforward, specific question is noted yet again.

Why are you advocating for the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry if you believe his teachings are merely optional?

Are you unable to answer this question?
    Your question doesn't make any sense. It is anything but "straightforward".

Your question seems pregnant with assumptions. Articulate them.

If you can't, I can't answer your question. I don't even know what it means.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 07:02
    Your question doesn't make any sense. It is anything but "straightforward".

Your question seems pregnant with assumptions. Articulate them.

If you can't, I can't answer your question.
    My assumptions are clearly articulated in my question.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 07:05
    My assumptions are clearly articulated in my question.
    Even that doesn't make any sense. The sad thing is that I believe that you're actually serious.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 07:13
    Even that doesn't make any sense. The sad thing is that I believe that you're actually serious.
    This about sums it up: since you don't believe that the commands of Jesus are obligatory I can conclude that you are just trolling whenever you are advocating for the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 07:46
    This about sums it up: since you don't believe that the commands of Jesus are obligatory I can conclude that you are just trolling whenever you are advocating for the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.
    FWIW, I don’t think anyone, including Jesus, thinks His commands are obligatory. Humans have free will and can choose to follow them or not.

They only seem obligatory if one believes in an afterlife and that gaining salvation is tied to following Jesus’ commands.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 08:36
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    FWIW, I don’t think anyone, including Jesus, thinks His commands are obligatory. Humans have free will and can choose to follow them or not.

They only seem obligatory if one believes in an afterlife and that gaining salvation is tied to following Jesus’ commands.
    My point is if he doesn't believe in Jesus or his commands or that following them is obligatory for salvation (like Rajk does), it follows that he is just trolling. At least Rajk's perspective is understandable (even though I disagree that salvation is gained by works) but if ThinkOfOne isn't even a theist, none of his posts that advocate the teachings of Jesus make any sense.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 09:16

I really think it would help if you just plainly stated your points if you have any instead of your usual tactic of asking chains of questions....
    Questions disturb your view. Everyone knows that.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 14:17
    By and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within themselves. What's more, I find much of what was attributed to Him to be remarkably deep and quite profound. As such, by and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be "true".

I don't shar ...[text shortened]... many Christians - many of which are antithetical to what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth.
    I get that you find the words of Jesus coherent, deep and profound. Even as an atheist, I do as well. How though do you go from this to: 'As such, by and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be "true".

Why does them being 'coherent and profound' make them true? - I find the words of Gandalf coherent and profound but don't as a consequence attribute 'truth' to them.

"The board is set, the pieces are moving." (Gandalf).
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 14:481 edit
    My point is if he doesn't believe in Jesus or his commands or that following them is obligatory for salvation (like Rajk does), it follows that he is just trolling. At least Rajk's perspective is understandable (even though I disagree that salvation is gained by works) but if ThinkOfOne isn't even a theist, none of his posts that advocate the teachings of Jesus make any sense.
    Seems that you CAN articulate your position and plainly state your point.

Imagine that.

Why all the nonsense?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '18 14:55
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I get that you find the words of Jesus coherent, deep and profound. Even as an atheist, I do as well. How though do you go from this to: 'As such, by and large, I find the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth to be "true".

Why does them being 'coherent and profound' make them true? - I find the words of Gandalf coherent and profou ...[text shortened]... onsequence attribute 'truth' to them.

"The board is set, the pieces are moving." (Gandalf).
    Try this. How do you determine if anything is true?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree