1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 00:42
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Yep. You got the imagery perfectly -- God picking a hapless struggling victim up by the ears and giggling maniacally as He tosses him into a giant fire.
    Your view of 'hell' doesn't align with powershaker's view.

So I am glad we agree at least to some extent.
  2. London
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 12:45
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Certainly the Trinity is a dogma that predates the Church in any formal sense.
    Could you clarify what you mean by "formal sense" here?

Certainly the Church hierarchy of Bishops/Elders, Priests/Presbyters/Ministers and Deacons is not a post-Biblical construct - they're mentioned all over Acts and the Epistles. What's more, St. Clement of Rome (writing about the same time as John's Gospel) goes into great lengths to describe the hierarchy in his writings.

So if, as you assert, the Trinity is a post-Biblical construct, then the formal Church certainly precedes the dogma of the Trinity.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    18 Mar '06 06:36
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Could you clarify what you mean by "formal sense" here?
    A Church of believers unified by a single figurehead as opposed to a bunch of disparate
    churches led locally by a bishop who may or may not advocate Orthodox views.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree