1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 02:19
    I stumbled across this: Ignosticism.

I'd never heard of it before. This probably belongs on the "Attributes of God" thread, but never mind.

"Ignosticism is the idea that the question of the existence of God is meaningless because the word 'God' has no coherent and unambiguous definition." [wiki]
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 02:282 edits
    @fmf said
    Ignosticism
    "Ignosticism and theological noncognitivism are similar although, whereas the ignostic says '...every theological position assumes too much about the concept of God', the theological noncognitivist claims to have no concept whatever to label as "a concept of God", but the relationship of ignosticism to other nontheistic views is less clear. While some find the view to be compatible with both weak atheism and agnosticism, other philosophers consider ignosticism to be distinct." [see wiki]

Talking about this issue, although it is merely one about how terminology applies to perceptions, is currently apt seeing as KellyJay appears to be insisting that NOT being a believer in the Christian/Abrahamic God equals denying "the possibility of something that transcends the universe."

Any thoughts on how the notion of "ignosticism" or "igtheism" can inform the hardline partisan posturing of religionists as they seek to commandeer the concept of "God"?
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 02:37
    @fmf said
    "Ignosticism and theological noncognitivism are similar although, whereas the ignostic says '...every theological position assumes too much about the concept of God', the theological noncognitivist claims to have no concept whatever to label as "a concept of God", but the relationship of ignosticism to other nontheistic views is less clear. While some find the view to be c ...[text shortened]... orm the hardline partisan posturing of religionists as they seek to commandeer the concept of "God"?
    Well, this isn't so much a notion as it is a false assertion that on some lonely Saturday nights I might tune into the ignostic disco-pop station run by some of my Arcturian cousins, and I think they have the right idea.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 11:25
    @fmf said
    "Ignosticism is the idea that the question of the existence of God is meaningless because the word 'God' has no coherent and unambiguous definition." [wiki]
    That statement is irrational and illogical because it assumes "God" can be defined by mere mortals.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 16:21
    @josephw said
    That statement is irrational and illogical because it assumes "God" can be defined by mere mortals.
    Of course God can be defined by mere mortals.

They invented Him after all.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 16:54
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Of course God can be defined by mere mortals.

They invented Him after all.
    You're right.

The god mortals define isn't the true and living God. Only the true and living God can define(reveal) Himself.

It's so simple a concept to grasp that even a mere mortal can understand that.
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Jul '22 19:041 edit
    @fmf said
    "Ignosticism and theological noncognitivism are similar although, whereas the ignostic says '...every theological position assumes too much about the concept of God', the theological noncognitivist claims to have no concept whatever to label as "a concept of God", but the relationship of ignosticism to other nontheistic views is less clear. While some find the view to be c ...[text shortened]... orm the hardline partisan posturing of religionists as they seek to commandeer the concept of "God"?
    Any thoughts on how the notion of "ignosticism" or "igtheism" can inform the hardline partisan posturing of religionists as they seek to commandeer the concept of "God"?

Ignosticism" or Igtheism is not going to inform anyone of anything, no matter who they are. These terms make for interesting discussions in a college philosophy class but are too abstract have much relevance in the real world.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '22 00:10
    @mchill said
    These terms make for interesting discussions in a college philosophy class but are too abstract have much relevance in the real world.
    If you, personally, are not capable of talking about these terms on an online Spirituality Forum, [1] OK, if that's the case, then don't try, and [2] when you start your own silly stumbling threads ~ you might now be held to your own 'Does it "have much relevance in the real world?" dictum'.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '22 00:12
    @mchill said
    Ignosticism" or Igtheism is not going to inform anyone of anything, no matter who they are.
    I disagree. If the terminology reflects a candid and realistic take on the human condition, then I think it is useful and therefore informative.
  10. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Jul '22 02:442 edits
    @fmf said
    If you, personally, are not capable of talking about these terms on an online Spirituality Forum, [1] OK, if that's the case, then don't try, and [2] when you start your own silly stumbling threads ~ you might now be held to your own 'Does it "have much relevance in the real world?" dictum'.
    Sorry fmf, but I can't change the facts. If you ask 100 average citizens what these terms say to them, you'll get little or no response. They're simply not relevant to people's lives.
  11. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Jul '22 02:47
    @fmf said
    I disagree. If the terminology reflects a candid and realistic take on the human condition, then I think it is useful and therefore informative.
    In this case that's a very big "If" These terms may reflect a candid and realistic take on the human condition to you, but I'd wager most people have little use for them.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '22 02:53
    @mchill said
    Sorry fmf, but I can't change the facts. If you ask 100 average citizens what these terms say to them, you'll get little or no response. They're simply not relevant to people's lives.
    What a silly thing to say on a debate and discussion forum.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '22 02:57
    @mchill said
    In this case that's a very big "If" These terms may reflect a candid and realistic take on the human condition to you, but I'd wager most people have little use for them.
    Nobody is claiming that "most people" should use them. Gosh. Where did you get that idea from?

You are bending yourself into a nothing-to-offer flavoured pretzel. If you don't want to or aren't capable of talking about the OP, then why do you keep posting?
  14. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Jul '22 02:59
    @fmf said
    What a silly thing to say on a debate and discussion forum.
    Perhaps not so silly. I'd be happy to have a discussion of a relevant topic, but if you're going to dig up abstract hypotheticals that have little relevance on planet earth, I'm going to call them what they are. 🙂
  15. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Jul '22 03:112 edits
    @fmf said
    Nobody is claiming that "most people" should use them. Gosh. Where did you get that idea from?

You are bending yourself into a nothing-to-offer flavoured pretzel. If you don't want to or aren't capable of talking about the OP, then why do you keep posting?
    If you don't want to or aren't capable of talking about the OP, then why do you keep posting?

I keep posting in an attempt to educate you on the necessity of staying on subjects that have some relevance in the real world, rather than stray off into La La land with your semi-interesting and semi-desperate attempts to bolster your case for atheism and/or agnosticism. In fact, there are some strong cases to be made for these, but your posts often don't qualify.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree