1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 15:56
    In light of a recent exchange with jaywill, how many Christians on this forum believe that unbelievers are in league with Satan?
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 16:174 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    In light of a recent exchange with jaywill, how many Christians on this forum believe that unbelievers are in league with Satan?
    Most unknowingly and yes.

John 8:44; 1 John 3:8
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 16:24
    RJHinds sometimes goes into a kind of mode where he accuses of me of being "Satanic" or "influenced by Satan" post after post after post, thread after thread after thread, regardless of what the topic is, or what comment I have made. But I'm not sure that there's any specific connection to 'spirituality', per se. It seems more to do with an apparent inability to process doubt, disagreement or diversity.
  4. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 16:36
    The whole idea of a Satan is like the Boogie Man is out to get you . It appears that a villian is needed in this drama.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 16:45
    It's a standard religious defence mechanism.

Anyone who isn't one of the 'true believers' is in league with that religions version of the boogie man.
    In the case of Christianity it's satan.

They define anyone not believing in god as being in league with satan so it doesn't matter that nobody
    outside of Christianity (and I would class Satanists who actually believe in and worship satan as being a
    part of the Christian mythos) actually believes that satan exists.

The onus is still on the theist to prove the existence of the boogie man in just the same way is it is incumbent on
    them to prove the existence of their god.

And just to be clear, a Satanist is someone who actually believes in the existence of the Christian god and in the
    existence of satan but has chosen to 'worship' satan rather than god.

An atheist doesn't believe in either and worships neither and thus is NOT a Satanist.

Neither are people of any other religious group who don't believe in the Christian mythology.
    Including Muslims.

This is a nice example of the danger and inherent divisiveness of religion and belief based on blind faith.

Such beliefs and religions are really really bad at conflict resolution.

If I have a disagreement about the nature of reality or about morality with another rationalist skeptic.
    Then we can sit down and through rational and logical argument debate the evidence and merits of
    the argument and sort out our differences. (possibly through experimentation and potentially coming
    to a conclusion that agrees with neither position either of us started with.)
    At no point do we have any need or desire to attack or insult let alone declare war on or kill the other side
    of the argument.
    Our views are based on the evidence and reason and can be changed by evidence and reason.
    (of course real people don't quite live up to this standard, at least not all the time but there is no inherent
    part of our belief system that would lead to conflict and in fact it is designed to defuse and solve conflicts)

However if you get two theists (or other purveyors of irrationality and faith based beliefs) of opposing doctrines
    or religions who get into a dispute then both stand there saying "no I'm right... NO I'M RIGHT..." both refusing to
    budge because belief in their doctrines is required to be blind and absolute and there is absolutely no mechanism
    for changing them. Serious disputes can, have, and often do, lead to violence and or war.

Claiming that anyone who disagrees with you is working for, or with, satan is just a manifestation of the fact that
    Christians can't win a rational argument and must resort to scare tactics and emotional blackmail and threats to
    bully people into agreeing with them.

It's juvenile, wrong, and dangerous.

It's a lot easier to kill people if your told over and over that they are evil and work for satan.
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 18:25
    better question would be, how many christians are in league with satan?
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 18:56
    The Bible clearly says "you cannot serve two masters". One is either serving God the way that God wants one too or you are not.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 19:00
    Originally posted by buckky
    The whole idea of a Satan is like the Boogie Man is out to get you . It appears that a villian is needed in this drama.
    But this villian is real. True you can't see him which is the way a villian would prefer but you can see the results of his existance including making ones think he's not real.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 19:15
    Originally posted by galveston75
    The Bible clearly says "you cannot serve two masters". One is either serving God the way that God wants one too or you are not.
    So that a yes?
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 19:191 edit
    So that a yes?
    It would seem so...
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 19:22
    It would seem so...
    It does seem so, but sometimes things aren't always what they seem. So can you state an unequivocal yes or no?
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 19:58
    It does seem so, but sometimes things aren't always what they seem. So can you state an unequivocal yes or no?
    Either one is serving God or one isn't. God does not tell us to worship him half way or as we please or in a what so ever way. He created us and has the right to ask that of us.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 20:11
    Either one is serving God or one isn't. God does not tell us to worship him half way or as we please or in a what so ever way. He created us and has the right to ask that of us.
    Is there anything God does not have the right to do?
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 20:26
    Originally posted by JS357
    Is there anything God does not have the right to do?
    Not really as long as it is within his righteous ways. God cannot do anything that would be wrong such as lying. The Bible says that at Numbers 23:19. So knowing he cannot do that would be assuring that he always tells us the truth in all matters.
    There are many, many things we do not understand about God but we can be completely assured that when he does an action that we don't understand it is for the good only of his purpose in dealing with mankind.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 20:33
    Not really as long as it is within his righteous ways. God cannot do anything that would be wrong such as lying. The Bible says that at Numbers 23:19. So knowing he cannot do that would be assuring that he always tells us the truth in all matters.
    There are many, many things we do not understand about God but we can be completely assured that when he d ...[text shortened]... action that we don't understand it is for the good only of his purpose in dealing with mankind.
    OK I always have to wonder when someone brings up an attribute of God's I hadn't ever thought of, which the idea of God having rights, made me do.

Carry on. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree