In praise of clever people

In praise of clever people

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
23 Dec 21

No, please don't do that -- it only encourages them.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Dec 21

@kevin-eleven said
No, please don't do that -- it only encourages them.
Quite often humans are led astray by their own cleverness.

Just because one can describe their own beliefs in a fairly cogent way, doesn't mean there's an ounce of truth to them. This forum is rife with examples.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Dec 21

@bigdogg said
Quite often humans are led astray by their own cleverness.

Just because one can describe their own beliefs in a fairly cogent way, doesn't mean there's an ounce of truth to them. This forum is rife with examples.
Well, beliefs are just that - beliefs.

We’re not arguing about the distance between the earth and moon or the diameter of the earth.

I think the key is whether evidence exists to support the beliefs. The more evidence, the more compelling the belief is, at least for me.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
24 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Well, beliefs are just that - beliefs.

We’re not arguing about the distance between the earth and moon or the diameter of the earth.

I think the key is whether evidence exists to support the beliefs. The more evidence, the more compelling the belief is, at least for me.
But everyone's going to say that. Everyone is pro-evidence. How could one not be? They'd sound like a loon.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Dec 21

@bigdogg said
But everyone's going to say that. Everyone is pro-evidence. How could one not be? They'd sound like a loon.
We have proofs in mathematics; the most significant portion of all other truths is more along the lines of assertions. Get a good narrative, and people run with them.