In pursuit of God

In pursuit of God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
04 Jun 08

Jer 29:13
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

I think the reason many of you who don't believe there is a God post in this forum because you would like to know there is a God if you could find proof. If the verse above is true and there is a God, then you will find all the evidence you will ever need. but only when you search with all your heart.

I'm not starting this thread to debate about evidence. My question is about what it means to "search with all your heart".

Is it possible that you think you have searched with all your heart and it didn't work, and now you are convinced there is no God? Or is it possible you missed something?

What do you think it means to " search with all your heart"?

Cape Town

Moves
04 Jun 08

Originally posted by josephw
I think the reason many of you who don't believe there is a God post in this forum because you would like to know there is a God if you could find proof.
Your wrong about that.

It usually means 'blind faith'. ie believe whatever you have to.
It is also quite a popular phrase to use to explain why some of us never seem to 'find' God. 'Well you didn't look hard enough!'.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jun 08

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

I think the reason many of you who don't believe there is a God post in this forum because you would like to know there is a God if you could find proof. If the verse above is true and there is a God, then you will find all the evidence you will ever need. but ...[text shortened]... ble you missed something?

In English, the phrase tends to mean "with all your strength" or "to your best capability". I encounter the expression on sports fields, such as when a coach exhorts his team to "play with all your heart in it." I think I have investigated the evidence to the best I can. The evidence is slight.

P

Moves
04 Jun 08

I think it simply means to be sincere in your search and to make every effort.

The problem is what "every effort" means. Does it mean that you have to make an effort to believe first? Does it mean that you have to read the bible all the way through?

A number of christians I have met and communicated with have simply said you just have to "open your heart and let Jesus in" and that's all you need.

I think twhitehead is right that it has been (and is) used to dismiss people who don't believe by simply using the excuse that they just didn't try hard enough.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
04 Jun 08

I think the reason many of you who don't believe there is a God post in this forum because you would like to know there is a God if you could find proof. If the verse above is true and there is a God, then you will find all the evidence you will ever need. but ...[text shortened]... ble you missed something?

What if god has decided to harden your heart? Like he did with Pharaoh, for example. That doesn't give you much a chance then, does it?

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
04 Jun 08

Originally posted by rwingett
What if god has decided to harden your heart? Like he did with Pharaoh, for example. That doesn't give you much a chance then, does it?
Indeed and what if you're not one of Gods chosen people?[Deuteronomy 7:6]
Then suerly your search will never be fruitful.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Jun 08

Originally posted by rwingett
God realised that was unfair and inspired Pope Gregory to reveal the existence of Purgatory. Pharaoh be singing Kumbaya time he's done.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
04 Jun 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
Your wrong about that.

[b]What do you think it means to " search with all your heart"?

It usually means 'blind faith'. ie believe whatever you have to.
It is also quite a popular phrase to use to explain why some of us never seem to 'find' God. 'Well you didn't look hard enough!'.[/b]
I think you have missed it altogether. Where's the relationship between "blind faith" and "searching with all your heart"?

I don't know why you have to take this personal. You don't have to take offence. I wasn't going to accuse anyone of failing to find God because they didn't look hard enough.

All I'm asking is what does "search with all your heart" mean.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
04 Jun 08

We have a problem here folks. The verse quoted is in the context of being addressed to a believing people. I think it is a misapplication of it's proper interpretation to use it for the purpose of directing an unbeliever to find God.

But still, if there is a God why would He hide Himself from someone who searched for Him with all their heart?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
04 Jun 08

Originally posted by yo its me
Indeed and what if you're not one of Gods chosen people?[Deuteronomy 7:6]
Then suerly your search will never be fruitful.
Wrong! If you knew and understood to whom and why God spoke these words you would realise you made an error in application.

Ro 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
Ro 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

The notion that God has chosen some to be saved and some to be lost is a false doctrine based on the same error of misinterpretation and application.

So unless you really know your Bible, if I were you I would refrane from quoting scriptue in support of an idea you're not sure about. 😉

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
05 Jun 08

Wrong! If you knew and understood to whom and why God spoke these words you would realise you made an error in application.

Ro 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ [b]unto all
and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
Ro 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same L ...[text shortened]... were you I would refrane from quoting scriptue in support of an idea you're not sure about. 😉[/b]
If God really is the god of all, why the commandment about not worshiping other gods? If no other gods exist, it seems pointless. Rather like the eleventh commandment, "thou shalt not worship invisible pink unicorns".

Likewise, why all the killing of emenies in the OT? Why the slaughter of enemies children (except virgin females, not-so-oddly)?? What's with all the "chosen people" nonsense?

Mr

Sasolburg

Moves
05 Jun 08

I think that to search God with all your heart has nothing to do with blind faith. Blind faith is to believe without any evidence at all, and that is surely a faith that will not stand the test of time. I believe that to search for God with all your heart implies first of all that you will be open to the probability that there is a God . Then you need to have some (correct) idea of what God is most likely to be. Once that is sorted out, you can start your search. If your conception of God is wrong, you may have to start again.
This will cost a lot of humility and perseverance, but that is how everything works. As an example of this it is said that Edison did more than 1000 experiments before he could get the first light bulb to work properly. If somebody may care so badly about worldly things, how much more should we care about things that relate to eternal things. This is what i think means to search with all your heart.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jun 08

I don't know why you have to take this personal. You don't have to take offence. I wasn't going to accuse anyone of failing to find God because they didn't look hard enough.

All I'm asking is what does "search with all your heart" mean.
I neither took it personal nor took offense, so don't worry. I merely gave my opinion as to what was meant by the phrase when people I know have used it in the past. If you don't believe me, thats fine. If you are only concerned with what the Bible meant and not what other people who use the phrase mean then thats fine too, but I suggest you ask someone to give us the Hebrew/Greek or whatever it was originally written in and take it from there.
Of course I am now wondering why you aren't using your secret decoder ring on this phrase. Surely the Holy Spirit can give you the definition better than any of us can?

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jun 08

Well why not explain it to us instead of being rude and quoting contradictory verses?

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
05 Jun 08

Ro 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ [b]unto all
and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
Ro 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same L ...[text shortened]... were you I would refrane from quoting scriptue in support of an idea you're not sure about. 😉[/b]
You are right. I don't know the Bible at all infact it is like a maize to me. The verse I quoted I looked up again and, yes it wasn't what I was thinking of. This might be;

Romans 8:28-30 (King James Version)

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

..Which I take to either mean that God has a purpose for everyone, or for everyone who he has chosen.

But back to your question maybe to search with all your heart is for it to be all you do. I beleive Jesus searched for God (I could well be wrong) for 40 days and 40 nights in the mountians. To really do anything the best you possiably can you'd have to olny be doing that one thing, wouldn't you?