1. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 09:44
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I brought this up and was blown off for saying it.
    Kelly
    Which bit did you bring up? Would you care to restate it and if I feel you are saying something different from me then I can explain where and why.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 14:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think you are correct that the term 'singularity' refers to a situation where the normal laws of physics 'break down' (a phrase we should be careful with- it really means 'poorly understood' or 'very different'😉 due to infinities in the mathematics.
    However, if the universe did start from a single point at the big bang then it would be a 'true singular ...[text shortened]... ay have stopped short of being a point and had a history prior to the projected point.
    I have said more than a few times how do you know it went all the
    way back to that point, why couldn't it start up some where else along
    the line?
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 14:04
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    You were NOT criticised for saying there may be a ’before’ the singularity for none of us (as far as I am aware and including myself) would totally rule out that possibility.
    You were criticised for implying that there is some kind of logical contradiction in saying there was NO ’before’ the singularity.
    You have yet to state exactly what any such ...[text shortened]... contradiction would be so your implied suggestion is apparently totally without any foundation.
    I suggest you read his post again, it has both, it started up before it
    reached the point of being a singularity and it had a history before
    hand as well, both points I covered. You it seems are a true believer
    because only you in this discussion seems to say you know what
    happened.
    Kelly
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 14:11
    I have said more than a few times how do you know it went all the
    way back to that point, why couldn't it start up some where else along
    the line?
    Kelly
    Who blew you off for saying that? I for one have agreed with you on that in the past.
    However, there is a big difference between not knowing whether it went back to that point and claiming that such a point is illogical or impossible.
    My stance is that a singularity is one possible hypothesis for the beginning of the universe. Until there is evidence that it didn't happen, it remains a viable hypothesis. Such evidence may be in the form of traces of information from some other scenario, or it may be in the form of knowledge of physics that rules out such a singularity.
  5. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 08:421 edit
    I suggest you read his post again, it has both, it started up before it
    hand as well, both points I covered. You it seems are a true believer
    because only you in this discussion seems to say you know what
    happened.
    Kelly
    …I suggest you read his post again, it has both, it started up before it
    hand as well,

How does that relate to what I just said in my last post?

twhitehead didn’t say nor implied that there is some kind of logical contradiction in saying there was NO ’before’ the singularity (if you are implying he DID say/imply this?)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree