1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 13:02
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm not sure, presumably you feel it is significant which is why you posted it.
    Well I'm quite interested in efforts to protect endangered species and that's one reason why I have done some work for WWF in Indonesia over the years, but in this thread I am curious about what people think of religious corporate entities taking a stance on an issue like this, and also in the spiritual dimension of aspirations and principles regarding animal welfare and topics like species extinction etc.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 13:141 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well I'm quite interested in efforts to protect endangered species and that's one reason why I have done some work for WWF in Indonesia over the years, but in this thread I am curious about what people think of religious corporate entities taking a stance on an issue like this, and also in the spiritual dimension of aspirations and principles regarding animal welfare and topics like species extinction etc.
    There is precedence of a sort: In the bible there are verses proscribing the eating of pork and such so there are rules in religion that go outside the normal realm of a religious nature.

It's too bad religious Fatwa's from all religions can't treat people with the same respect.

We say be kind to animals but with humans, anything goes.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 13:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We say be kind to animals but with humans, anything goes.
    It is your understanding that, when it comes to The Indonesian Council of Ulema (MUI), "with humans, anything goes"?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 13:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Could you imagine your organisation offering Bible-based guidance to its members to take an active role in protecting threatened species in the animal kingdom?
    Our literature is full of depictions of animals and humans living together in harmony, based on such Biblical depictions as Isaiah chapter 11.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 13:291 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Jihad", for almost all Muslims I've ever met (and got to know), means 'struggling to live a Godly of pious life', or words to that effect, and it is an internal struggle or striving of the spirit, as opposed to waging war against religious oppression or against people of other faiths. So, there are contradictions within Islam over things like the meaning of the ...[text shortened]... Jihad", in addition to contradictions between beliefs and behaviours regarding other activities.
    You don't say, that what Muhammad must of had in mind when he was raiding the caravans of the Qureshi! that struggle for a pious life!
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 13:44
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Our literature is full of depictions of animals and humans living together in harmony, based on such Biblical depictions as Isaiah chapter 11.
    Is there any guidance to its readers about protecting threatened species?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 13:501 edit
    You don't say, that what Muhammad must of had in mind when he was raiding the caravans of the Qureshi! that struggle for a pious life!
    Well as I understand it he saw himself and his followers as being in wars on behalf of the God of Abraham against "pagans". Quite a bit of the mess that is 'Islamic literature' seems to comprise a kind of rules of engagement for those military struggles. But you've lived among Muslims for a year, right? So you you will know about the inner, spiritual "jihad" regarding family, neighbours, community, righteous living, and all the other stuff.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 13:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is there any guidance to its readers about protecting threatened species?
    http://www.jw.org/en/search/?q=endangered+species
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 13:53
    http://www.jw.org/en/search/?q=endangered+species
    What does it say there, in brief?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 14:022 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well as I understand it he saw himself and his followers as being in wars on behalf of the God of Abraham against "pagans". Quite a bit of the mess that is 'Islamic literature' seems to comprise a kind of rules of engagement for those military struggles. But you've lived among Muslims for a year, right? So you you will know about the inner, spiritual "jihad" regarding family, neighbours, community, righteous living, and all the other stuff.
    Actually i have lived among Muslims for about two years intermittently and I have also preached to Muslims for about 15 years, mostly Pakistani. I learned to speak and read Urdu from a Muslim lady for about two and a half years. Essentially I came to the conclusion that Christianity was superior, because like Judaism, Islam is essentially a set of formalistic laws and rituals and is learned in the same way, with little intelligence and by rote. The Koran itself is a very cold book revealing essentially nothing about the character of God and quite frankly i don't know how anyone can lend merit to its contents. Muhammad himself being a very poor example of one worthy to emulate, considering his acts of war.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 14:041 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What does it say there, in brief?
    It covers many topics and its not possible to provide a summary of each. If you cannot be bothered to paste and copy the link then too bad for you.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 14:06
    Actually i have lived among Muslims for about two years intermittently and I have also preached to Muslims for about 15 years, mostly Pakistani. Essentially I came to the conclusion that Christianity was superior, because like Judaism, Islam is essentially a set of formalistic laws and rituals and is learned in the same way, by rote. The Koran itse ...[text shortened]... uhammad himself being a very poor example of one worthy to emulate, considering his acts of war.
    Be that is it may, robbie, but if you and I are wrong about Islam, and it turns out it is ~ after all ~ the true revelation to mankind by God, then your personal preference for Christianity, and me being unconvinced by either, are both rather irrelevant. 🙂
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 14:07
    It covers many topics and its not possible to provide a summary of each. If you cannot be bothered to paste and copy the link then too bad for you.
    OK, then. As a sample: what does it say about big cats, elephants and rhinos?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 14:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Be that is it may, robbie, but if you and I are wrong about Islam, and it turns out it is ~ after all ~ the true revelation to mankind by God, then your personal preference for Christianity, and me being unconvinced by either, are both rather irrelevant. 🙂
    Sure its roasty toasty for all enemies of Islam.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 14:091 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK, then. As a sample: what does it say about big cats, elephants and rhinos?
    You cannot be bothered to follow the link then I cannot be bothered to comment. Adios

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree