Innerrantcy

Innerrantcy

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jun 07

Originally posted by whodey
My question is posed to those of faith. How many believe the word of God is inerrant? If you do believe the word of God to be inerrant, what does this mean? Do you believe the original text to be inerrant, do you believe that EVERY translation made is inerrant or just certain ones etc.? We all know that the Bible claims to be the inspired word of God. So does this translate into inerrantcy?
Do you think those that believe their logic is inerrant are people of
faith?
Kelly

w

Moves
01 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Do you think those that believe their logic is inerrant are people of
faith?
Kelly
Yes, I guess I would. To say something or someone is inerrant, one is placing their faith in the notion of infallibility. As for me, I place my faith in God as being infallible. As for my logic, it is prone to error.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
01 Jul 07

Yes, I guess I would. To say something or someone is inerrant, one is placing their faith in the notion of infallibility. As for me, I place my faith in God as being infallible. As for my logic, it is prone to error.
Hold on a second.

Just because your logic sometimes fails doesn't mean that logic isn't inerrant. It just
means you applied it improperly.

In decimal mathematics, 5x5 always = 25. But if you miscalculate, it can be say 24. That doesn't
mean that mathematics isn't inerrant.

Nemesio

w

Moves
01 Jul 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Nemesio
Hold on a second.

Just because your logic sometimes fails doesn't mean that logic isn't inerrant. It just
means you applied it improperly.

In decimal mathematics, 5x5 always = 25. But if you miscalculate, it can be say 24. That doesn't
mean that mathematics isn't inerrant.

Nemesio
The problem is, however, that I am using logic. How does a fallible human being interpret or calculate data that is "infallible"? That is the question. At some point I am more than likely going to fail. Have you ever failed in this pursuit? Odds are you have or you are lying. However, each time you correct yourself you think you have "arrived" at perfection. At least, this has been my experience.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
01 Jul 07

The problem is, however, that I am using logic. How does a fallible human being interpret or calculate data that is "infallible"? That is the question. At some point I am more than likely going to fail. Have you ever failed in this pursuit? Odds are you have or you are lying. However, each time you correct yourself you think you have "arrived" at perfection. At least, this has been my experience.
I believe that every time I conclude that 5x5=25, I have arrived at perfection for that particular problem.

Don't you?

Nemesio

w

Moves
01 Jul 07
2 edits

I believe that every time I conclude that 5x5=25, I have arrived at perfection for that particular problem.

Don't you?

Nemesio
Yes, that is what I THINK. However, at one time in my life I would not have been sure. Also, there have been times in my life that I was right about other things, but later found it to be otherwise. However, as it stands today, I THINK that I am right in thinking 5x5=25.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Jul 07
2 edits

Don't you?

Nemesio
🙂 Depending on what the 5 is, but getting the same answer does
not always mean you are getting it right.
Kelly
edit: sheesh left a word out the first time.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Jul 07
1 edit

Yes, that is what I THINK. However, at one time in my life I would not have been sure. Also, there have been times in my life that I was right about other things, but later found it to be otherwise. However, as it stands today, I THINK that I am right in thinking 5x5=25.
How likely do you think it is that the equation is true?

What sort of evidence would increase or decrease your confidence in its truth?

Which do you have more confidence in: the truth of the equation, or God's existence?

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
01 Jul 07

Yes, that is what I THINK. However, at one time in my life I would not have been sure. Also, there have been times in my life that I was right about other things, but later found it to be otherwise.
That's not the fault of logic. That's the fault of your misapplication of it. Logic, like mathematics,
is by its very nature inerrant. The only fault is in applying it.

Nemesio

w

Moves
01 Jul 07

That's not the fault of logic. That's the fault of your misapplication of it. Logic, like mathematics,
is by its very nature inerrant. The only fault is in applying it.

Nemesio
Tell that to my wife. 😛

w

Moves
01 Jul 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
🙂 Depending on the 5 is, but getting the same answer does
not always mean you are getting it right.
Kelly
First you must have an accurate conception of the 5 means. 😉

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
01 Jul 07

...there are four gospels. Why four? Why not just one? Could it be that all four are not geared to be "perfect" in terms of details, rather, they are written to show the importance of Christ and his subsequent resurrection?
Well said.

w

Moves
01 Jul 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

What sort of evidence would increase or decrease your confidence in its truth?

Which do you have more confidence in: the truth of the equation, or God's existence?
I believe that the truth exists, whatever that may be. Therefore, it is within my ability to interact and accept/reject that truth. We, for the most part, are comfortable with accepting "truth" based upon past experience and knowledge. As for myself, the teachings of the Bible are based upon such truth based upon my past experiences and knowledge. For example, love is the greatest commandment and what ALL the other laws hang upon. Based upon my own experience love is indeed the greatest of pursuits and is what we REQUIRE. This is just one such truth as well as many, many others. Also the equation 5x5=25 is what I percieve as being the truth based upon past calculations and repeated reinforcement of this fact such as taking tests etc. Again, these truths are accepted based upon past experiences. However, when I was 2 years old I had no such expereinces. You could have told me 5x5=44 and I would have gladly believed you.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Jul 07

I believe that the truth exists, whatever that may be. Therefore, it is within my ability to interact and accept/reject that truth. We, for the most part, are comfortable with accepting "truth" based upon past experience and knowledge. As for myself, the teachings of the Bible are based upon such truth based upon my past experiences and knowledge. For exa ...[text shortened]... had no such expereinces. You could have told me 5x5=44 and I would have gladly believed you.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
01 Jul 07

I believe that the truth exists, whatever that may be. Therefore, it is within my ability to interact and accept/reject that truth. We, for the most part, are comfortable with accepting "truth" based upon past experience and knowledge. As for myself, the teachings of the Bible are based upon such truth based upon my past experiences and knowledge. For exa ...[text shortened]... had no such expereinces. You could have told me 5x5=44 and I would have gladly believed you.
I do not 'believe' that 5x5=25 is true in a decimal system because I've done the calculations before
or because of tests or whatever.

I know it is true because of the definition of numbers in a decimal system is clear and simple
and the definitions of multiplication and equality are simple, and that the numbers and arithmetic
arguments are applied in a proper fashion (unlike 5x5=44).

This is inerrant based on the definitions.

Nemesio