1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    02 May '06 14:54
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    What's arbitrary about it? Do we have good reasons to think that punishing a gay person to death (merely because he is gay) is a 'grave injustice'?
    Surely you have some underlying moral theory from which you would denounce such an action. If we differ in our moral theories, I have a suspicion we're comparing apples and pears.
  2. Cosmos
    Moves
    02 May '06 15:36
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]However, in this badly spelled rant within this post, you claim that: "we are all dying because of sin".
    This is incongruous with the concept of a merciful God.

Actually, this just reveals how ignorant you are of both the character of God as well as biblical doctrine. It is because of God's grace that we are preserved (spiritually) dead while (ph ...[text shortened]... rts your claim of an objective reasoning ability, itself a pre-requisite of any decent judge.[/b]
    "It is because of God's grace that we are preserved (spiritually) dead while (physically) alive."

What on EARTH are you talking about?

You may well be spiritually dead (being a mere parrot to the bible), however I am very much spiritually alive and able to think for myself.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 May '06 15:57
    Originally posted by howardgee
    "It is because of God's grace that we are preserved (spiritually) dead while (physically) alive."

What on EARTH are you talking about?

You may well be spiritually dead (being a mere parrot to the bible), however I am very much spiritually alive and able to think for myself.
    Everyone born enters into the world spiritually dead. Instead of being born as Adam was created, i.e., body/soul/spirit, every member of the human race is born body/soul, sans a spirit. We all receive the imputation of Adam's original sin, no relation to God humanly possible.

Despite claims otherwise, unless and until a person is born from above, they are spiritually dead.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 May '06 16:34
    Originally posted by howardgee
    I would make a fine judge.

I am objective in my judgement. Not tainted by religious ideology like you.
    I do not deny my perspective is skewed. What is funny is that you do not think your perspective is skewed. You think you are 100% objective. God's perspective is the only perspective that is not skewed. He sees all and knows all. What is even more funny is your plea for leniancy for the sinner. This is what Christ came to do and it is his message that you reject. You reject your own advocate. I don't want any one to have to pay for the sins they have commited which includes my worst enemy. I especially do not want to have to pay for the sins I have commited.
  5. Cosmos
    Moves
    03 May '06 00:57
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Everyone born enters into the world spiritually dead. Instead of being born as Adam was created, i.e., body/soul/spirit, every member of the human race is born body/soul, sans a spirit. We all receive the imputation of Adam's original sin, no relation to God humanly possible.

Despite claims otherwise, unless and until a person is born from above, they are spiritually dead.
    insane christian man!!!
  6. Cosmos
    Moves
    03 May '06 00:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    I do not deny my perspective is skewed. What is funny is that you do not think your perspective is skewed. You think you are 100% objective. God's perspective is the only perspective that is not skewed. He sees all and knows all. What is even more funny is your plea for leniancy for the sinner. This is what Christ came to do and it is his message that y ...[text shortened]... ncludes my worst enemy. I especially do not want to have to pay for the sins I have commited.
    insane christian man!!!
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    03 May '06 01:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    I understand how you feel. This is because I had similair thoughts at one time. Like it or not, however, we are all dying because of sin. You sin, you die. That was the warning that was ignored. It seems that for God there were certain sins that called for a persons death sooner than later. Granted, adultry is not a big deal in modern times. However, I ...[text shortened]... re hates all sin. Sin is a destructive force. Is it good to lie, cheat, commit adultry, ect..?
    Have you lost your mind? Are you actually trying to justify the methods of justice dictated in the OT? Somehow, in the minds of many it's fine and dandy to murder, pillage, and plunder just as long as thou art God. I have news for you: if God exists, He's 'just a slob like one of us'. He's just another moral agent. Maybe He's an unusually powerful and knowledgeable moral agent; but He's just another moral agent.

It seems that for God there were certain sins that called for a persons death sooner than later.

Who gives a sh*t? Why should I care what God thinks? Hitler thought that certain innocuous, incidental traits called for death sooner than later. Maybe God, like Hitler, is off his rocker. I am also not interested in being spoon-fed God's wacky ideas. If God feels He has some argument that demonstrates that such 'sins' as adultery and homosexuality merit the death penalty, then He can offer up the argument for discussion. I'm sick and tired of the idea that God somehow merely dictates morality; related to that is the other ridiculous notion that God's behavior is somehow automatically immune to ethical scrutiny.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 May '06 08:221 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    If you take the OT, literal or not, without the perspective given by the NT.
    Does this count for modern day Jews? Are they all like that woman? Is this what the OT does to people? If so, isn't that God's fault? How about the pre-Christian Jews? Were they all like this woman?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree