1. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:09
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Well I don't know if "persecute" is the right word but not listen to them, ban their books, sure.
    I'm curious to know whether you think the earth is the centre of the universe, and if you think the sun revolves around the earth. Galileo, essentially saying in his books and what he wrote on the subject, said and I may hasten to add, proved, that this was not the case, but this was banned by the chruch as heracy and you support that.
  2. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:19
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    I'm curious to know whether you think the earth is the centre of the universe, and if you think the sun revolves around the earth. Galileo, essentially saying in his books and what he wrote on the subject, said and I may hasten to add, proved, that this was not the case, but this was banned by the chruch as heracy and you support that.
    I think the Earth revolves around the sun, didn't prove but said, "Heresy" spell it right if at all, sure.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:202 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]"Intellectually impoverished."
    The phrase has been bandied about by both pseudo- and actual real-live intellectuals who consistently haunt these threads, as a supposed complaint against Christianity and/or the complete canon of Scripture.

In their view (although never with any type of substantiation), Christianity is inferior to their singular a teps possible. It makes one wonder exactly who the intellectually impoverished ones are.[/b]
    I would simply say that the teachings of Christ have influenced Western Civilization as well as the global civilization to a large extent. Of course, I only hear people attacking those who profess to follow Christ but NEVER those attacking the teachings of Christ himself.

I have also heard people say that religion is for the weak or the mentally inferior. Well I guess if you accuse Christ and his disciples as being weak and mentally inferior then you would have to say yes. Otherwise, button it spanky!! 😠
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    I would simply say that the teachings of Christ have influenced Western Civilization as well as the global civilization to a large extent. Of course, I only hear people attacking those who profess to follow Christ but NEVER those attacking the teachings of Christ himself.

I have also heard people say that religion is for the weak or the mentally inferior. ...[text shortened]... being weak and mentally inferior then you would have to say yes. Otherwise, button it spanky!!
    If Jesus were around today, and had access to all the scientific knowledge that we have, he would adjust this theology accordingly. But (many) contemporary Christians are determined to remain forever stuck in a first century mindset, forever fighting against the tide of progress.
  5. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:27
    Originally posted by rwingett
    [b]If Jesus were around today, and had access to all the scientific knowledge that we have, he would adjust this theology ac
    Jesus knows all things.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:28
    Jesus knows all things.
    And his followers seem to think they do as well.
  7. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:301 edit
    I think the Earth revolves around the sun, didn't prove but said, "Heresy" spell it right if at all, sure.
    Let's not let this degrade into a spelling competition.
    I will ask you then whether you consider the search for truth, real truth to be heretical; if not then if do you consider the banning by the church of Galileo's books on his discovery, with retrospect to be a mistake?
    We shouldn't blindly follow what the churches say and what they believe to be 'God's truth', because the churches can be proven to be wrong, especially important if they were given the power to ban books contrary to what they believe in, as this case demonstrates.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:30
    If Jesus were around today, and had access to all the scientific knowledge that we have, he would adjust this theology accordingly. But (many) contemporary Christians are determined to remain forever stuck in a first century mindset, forever fighting against the tide of progress.
    its not the first century that is the problem, its about the third of fourth.
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:33
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    Let's not let this degrade into a spelling competition.
    I will ask you then whether you consider the search for truth, real truth to be heretical; if not then if do you consider the banning by the church of Galileo's books on his discovery, with retrospect to be a mistake?
    We shouldn't blindly follow what the churches say and what they believe to be 'God' ...[text shortened]... e given the power to ban books contrary to what they believe in, as this case demostrates.
    No.

No, I don't think it was a discovery, but a mistake unto itself.

No it doesn't demonstrate (spelled that wrong too), I don't think all churches are right but the Catholic Church is ALWAYS right on Faith and Morals, Dogmatic.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its not the first century that is the problem, its about the third of fourth.
    I disagree. The "problem" started right away, in the first century. Although it was certainly made worse through the third and fourth centuries.
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:36
    I disagree. The "problem" started right away, in the first century. Although it was certainly made worse through the third and fourth centuries.
    CHRIST IS PERFECT.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:371 edit
    Lol, it was not a problem, but the emergence of a new and dynamic force, such as the world had never seen before, nor since. it became corrupted in the third/fourth centuries, and only fairly recently have attempts been made to restore its purity 😉
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:39
    CHRIST IS PERFECT.
    Thanks for that stimulating observation. 😴
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Lol, it was not a problem, but the emergence of a new and dynamic force, such as the world had never seen before, nor since. it became corrupted in the third/fourth centuries, and only fairly recently have attempts been made to restore its purity 😉
    The corruption started with Paul. I do not think Paul's theology is what Jesus had in mind.
  15. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '09 00:47

No it doesn't demonstrate (spelled that wrong too), I don't think all churches are right but the Catholic Church is ALWAYS right on Faith and Morals, Dogmatic.

Can you please elaborate.

I don't think all churches are right but the Catholic Church is ALWAYS right on Faith and Morals, Dogmatic.

I take it the pope is infallible then?

I'll have to continue this discussion tomorrow I think, it's late here and I think I should get some sleep; goodnight to you for when you go to bed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree