1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 22:43
    Originally posted by black beetle
    It seems you are obsessed with the …guard issue; and obviously you rely upon a literal reading of Matthew -however the Roman soldiers would not actually have gone to the Jewish authorities (as Matthew 28:11-15 reports) but to the Roman governor, Pilate, to whom they were responsible. And according to Peter (11:43-49) the guard reported to Pilate.
    In ad ...[text shortened]... ional position, methinks I can safely reject the guard story as just another religious myth😵
    The little you do know is irrevocably tainted by the beliefs you hold based on things you don't know. What a quagmire.

To date, I've not delved into any level of apologetics--- save on the most superficial basis.

If you seriously want to test the truth, test it in full and objectively study what has been covered repeatedly by real students of the topic. Start there and get back with me in a year or so once you've given it the time the topic deserves.
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 07:56
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The little you do know is irrevocably tainted by the beliefs you hold based on things you don't know. What a quagmire.

To date, I've not delved into any level of apologetics--- save on the most superficial basis.

If you seriously want to test the truth, test it in full and objectively study what has been covered repeatedly by real students of the to ...[text shortened]... there and get back with me in a year or so once you've given it the time the topic deserves.
    I leave aside the fact that once more you do not offer an argument because this attitude of yours goes hand in hand with your religionism, so I will cover further in a fast pace the issue regarding the probability that there is good reason to accept the Markan burial story. I assume that Paul did believe that Jesus was indeed buried, however he says nothing about Joseph of Arimathea, he says nothing about the time, the nature and the location of the burial, he says nothing about guards, he says nothing about the reaction of the Jews and he uses the Greek verb “etaphe” that is used for both burial in a tomb and burial in a common grave.

So, was Jesus indeed buried as described in Mark 15:42-47? I could accept that Joseph buried Jesus but I would dismiss the claim of the scribe/s of Mark that Jesus was buried alone in an unused tomb and wrapped in linen because this was unusual for criminals. Therefore, if the Jews gave indeed a dime and they were motivated to bury Jesus because of their specific religious regulations concerning the crucified criminals and because of the upcoming Sabbath, I conclude that they would also want to bury the two bandits that they were crucified with Jesus. And I dismiss the possibility that Jesus would have been buried alone because in such a case I would have to assume that Joseph was definitely a sympathizer of Jesus.

Since Joseph could have formally buried temporarily in his tomb all of them three bodies, the question whether Jesus' burial place contained any other corpses is the core issue that is relevant to the historicity of the burial story and of the empty tomb story written by the scribe/s of Mark. If Jesus was indeed buried with others, it would have been very hard for everybody to try to prove his so called resurrection by pointing to Jesus' burial place.
    If Joseph was forced to bury the three bodies quickly before the Sabbath and if his tomb was nearby, he could well have been forced to leave at least one body in his own tomb in order to gain time but I cannot assume that he intended to leave Jesus' body there permanently. And if Joseph reburied Jesus in the criminals' graveyard, the disciples would have not known where the body had been permanently buried -and not because a graveyard for the criminals was identical to a mass grave, due to the fact that at the common burial place provided by the court the bones of each specific criminal had to be recoverable. So Joseph could have identified the exact location of the body within the criminals' burial place, but in such a case there is no way for the disciples to know that a reburial had taken place at a specific location.

In addition Joseph had no reason at all to inform the disciples about the exact location of the rebury, and if he did rebury the body of Jesus he probably did it in Saturday night in order to be unobserved by the disciples. So the disciples would have had to suspect a reburial and ask Joseph about the exact location, and this means that we have to know how the disciples would have reacted upon discovering the empty tomb. If the disciples expected a reburial they could have asked Joseph what he did with Jesus’ body; or they simply went to the tomb, they saw it empty and they assumed that this was another insult against their teacher by the Jews. So I dismiss the probability that the disciples knew the location of the bodies.

Of course in such a case there is no problem with Mk. 15:27. 32 because, since Jesus' burial in Joseph's tomb would have been temporary, the bandits were probably buried alongside Jesus because if a Jew was motivated to bury Jesus, that same person would have been motivated to bury the two bandits too. So I assume that the claim of the scribe/s of Mark, ie that Joseph had permanently bury Jesus in his own tomb, is out of the blue because Joseph was a member of the very council that condemned Jesus. All in all, the scribe/s of Mark expect us to accept that an active member of the Sanhedrin would have permanently buried Jesus alone in his own expensive family tomb, and this is a bit hard to believe.

Therefore I assume that, contrary to the explanation offered in Mark 16:6, the tomb was empty because Jesus and the two bandits had been reburied by that pious Jew at another place -but since the scribe/s of Mark mention nothing about a reburial by Joseph, they do not provide facts and evidence that Jesus' permanent burial place was empty.

Due to the above methinks there is no good reason to accept the Markan burial story too, for there are indeed solid historical reasons for rejecting the resurrection story. If, just for a change, you would feel the need to bring up a solid argument to the above, it would be good to check amongst else Wedderburns’ “Beyond Resurrection” (Peabody, Massachussetts: Hendrickson, 1999), Amos Kloners’ "Did a Rolling Stone Close Jesus' Tomb?" Biblical Archeaology Review 25:5, Sept./ Oct. 1999, Oscar Holtzmann’s “The Life of Jesus” (translation by Bealby and Canney, London, Adam and Charles Black 1904), Michael Martins’ “Atheism: A Philosophical Justification and The Case Against Christianity” and J.J. Lowders’ “Historical Evidence and the Empty Tomb Story”
    😵
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 22:22
    I leave aside the fact that once more you do not offer an argument because this attitude of yours goes hand in hand with your religionism, so I will cover further in a fast pace the issue regarding the probability that there is good reason to accept the Markan burial story. I assume that Paul did believe that Jesus was indeed buried, however he says not ...[text shortened]... t Christianity” and J.J. Lowders’ “Historical Evidence and the Empty Tomb Story”
    😵
    On more levels than I care to devote the time to discuss, your 'analysis' is sorely lacking.

Instead of responding to my charges regarding your competency, you simply drone on about topics of which you know so little about. Your sources are all one sided, and lack any credibility other than incestual agreement.
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 08:33
    On more levels than I care to devote the time to discuss, your 'analysis' is sorely lacking.

Instead of responding to my charges regarding your competency, you simply drone on about topics of which you know so little about. Your sources are all one sided, and lack any credibility other than incestual agreement.
    Your "charges" are religious sophisms alone and so they are well dismissed; my sources are not one sided because I took into account the apologetics of the illustrious Craig, Geisler, Habermas, Collins, Lewis, McDowell and Montgomery amongst else -which they are all highly problematic and therefore easily falified. I assure you that I can also offer you that specific Christian bibliography on the spot.
    So go on. If you really believe I 'm wrong, kindly please educate me -bring up your sources instead of your usual ridiculous "charges" and try to debate honestly instead of bubbling your mambo-jumbo doctrines.

At this thread I always backed up my opinion with specific sources and I named them, so everybody can evaluate them. It is you that from the OP of this thread are talking out of the blue eager to promote your religious interests at this forum by means of preaching.

I clarify that I do not have the slightest problem with one's religion, yours included; however your religionism forces you to keep up offering intentionally false interpretations of given facts, and this attitude of yours is not only pathetic but also unacceptable.
    😵
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 10:06

Considering that the only credible authority you seem to accept is the Bible itself, I can only assume that you revel in looking ridiculous.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:24
    Your "charges" are religious sophisms alone and so they are well dismissed; my sources are not one sided because I took into account the apologetics of the illustrious Craig, Geisler, Habermas, Collins, Lewis, McDowell and Montgomery amongst else -which they are all highly problematic and therefore easily falified. I assure you that I can also offer you ...[text shortened]... of given facts, and this attitude of yours is not only pathetic but also unacceptable.
    😵
    Your "charges" are religious sophisms alone and so they are well dismissed...
    Oh are they? You mean the following charge is what you consider to be a "religious sophism?"

"For one, you cannot even name one "strict historical standard" without Googling it first."

I understand you wish to dismiss what so clearly exposes your lack of grasp on the subject, but heck: that's just plain ol' human nature, ain't it.

... my sources are not one sided because I took into account the apologetics of the illustrious Craig, Geisler, Habermas, Collins, Lewis, McDowell and Montgomery amongst else...
    Of course you did. You just didn't mention any of them by name, nor attribute any of their work specifically. Thanks for letting us know you took them into account, though.

That puts all minds at ease, to be sure.

-which they are all highly problematic and therefore easily falified.
    Well obviously they are easily "falified," since only you know the definition of the word. For most people...
    "Falsifiability (or refutability) is the logical possibility that an assertion can be shown false by an observation or a physical experiment. That something is "falsifiable" does not mean it is false; rather, that if it is false, then this can be shown by observation or experiment."

Now, what observation or physical experiment you have in mind which helps you conclude that the work of the cited apologetics is, indeed, falsifiable remains a mystery. But that just makes life fun, huh.
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 10:42
    [b]Your "charges" are religious sophisms alone and so they are well dismissed...
    Oh are they? You mean the following charge is what you consider to be a "religious sophism?"

"For one, you cannot even name one "strict historical standard" without Googling it first."

I understand you wish to dismiss what so clearly exposes your lack of gra ...[text shortened]... is, indeed, falsifiable remains a mystery. But that just makes life fun, huh.[/b]
    There are specific methodologies and practices regarding historiography that they must be conducted, along with specific and concrete evaluation, in order whatever is presented as an historical event to be indeed validated as such. Until today, the internally contradictory NT story of the resurrection of Jesus is considered a religious belief and not a validated historic fact, and I explained in detail the reasons why;

Regarding the Christian apologetics, of course I will not copy and paste the work of each author; I answer to your ridiculous posts and not to their arguments afterall, which in my opinion are anyway bonkers although they are by far more sensible than your “charges”. It is you, not me, the one who has to study in depth and quote the Christian apologetics of our days in order to become able to bring up a solid argument.
    Anyway, here you are, educate yourself about some of the strongest apologetics of your religion:
    Josh McDowell is famous amongst else for his “Evidence That Demands a Verdict Vol. I & II”, “The Resurrection Factor Answers to Tough Questions”, “More Than a Carpenter” and “The Resurrection Factor”; Craig tries very hard at his “The Son Rises”, “Knowing the Truth About the Resurrection” and “Apologetics: An Introduction”, and Gary Habermas conducts an effort with his “The Resurrection of Jesus: An Apologetic” and “Did Jesus Rise from the Dead?”. In addition, you can always entertain yourself with Geisler’s “Christian Apologetics”.

Finally, I evaluate your “charges” as false after having them checked according with the standards of the current science and philosophy;
    😵
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Nov '09 23:15
    There are specific methodologies and practices regarding historiography that they must be conducted, along with specific and concrete evaluation, in order whatever is presented as an historical event to be indeed validated as such. Until today, the internally contradictory NT story of the resurrection of Jesus is considered a religious belief and not a ...[text shortened]... fter having them checked according with the standards of the current science and philosophy;
    😵
    There are specific methodologies and practices regarding historiography...
    Holy crap.
    Are you serious? Do yourself a favor and look up the definition of "historiography." You will find it most illuminating, since the word refers to the history of history... not anywhere near how you are using it here.

Until today, the internally contradictory NT story of the resurrection of Jesus is considered a religious belief and not a validated historic fact, and I explained in detail the reasons why;
    "Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"
    News flash: you have no idea what a validated historic fact is, so don't go spouting off about things that just make you look, well, sillier and sillier.

If anything is interally contradictory, it is any one of your sentences. Within themselves.

Regarding the Christian apologetics, of course I will not copy and paste the work of each author; I answer to your ridiculous posts and not to their arguments afterall...
    Right. That's why you brought them up and argued against them.

It is you, not me, the one who has to study in depth and quote the Christian apologetics of our days in order to become able to bring up a solid argument.
    Why? So then I could argue against them?

Finally, I evaluate your “charges” as false after having them checked according with the standards of the current science and philosophy;
    Oh, no, please! Don't bring out such exacting standards! What will become of my sophist beliefs?
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    02 Nov '09 05:08
    [b]There are specific methodologies and practices regarding historiography...
    Holy crap.
    Are you serious? Do yourself a favor and look up the definition of "historiography." You will find it most illuminating, since the word refers to the history of history... not anywhere near how you are using it here.

Until today, the internally contrad ...[text shortened]... lease! Don't bring out such exacting standards! What will become of my sophist beliefs?
    Regarding historiography, I was referring to the reliability of the biblical sources once one supposes that they are amongst else an historical text, and I was talking about the biblical historiographical tradition and about whether or not the story of the resurrection really does constitute a historical event. I was also talking about the terms that they would enable us to claim that the scribes of the Gospels were indeed historians, and about the terms that they would enable us to claim that the objectivity of the scribes is well established.
    Well, the scribes are not reliable and the historicity of the myth of the resurrection is out of order due to the reasons I explained earlier.

I rest my case😵
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 01:47
    Regarding historiography, I was referring to the reliability of the biblical sources once one supposes that they are amongst else an historical text, and I was talking about the biblical historiographical tradition and about whether or not the story of the resurrection really does constitute a historical event. I was also talking about the terms that th ...[text shortened]... of the resurrection is out of order due to the reasons I explained earlier.

I rest my case😵
    As you should, since you clearly were never able to make one.
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 04:47
    As you should, since you clearly were never able to make one.
    As I should, since talking to an apologist on a mission is indeed funny but anyway a loss of time😀

Be well😵
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 23:52
    As I should, since talking to an apologist on a mission is indeed funny but anyway a loss of time😀

Be well😵
    If there was anything truly funny in the exchange, it was your misuse and abuse of the English language, as well as the straight-forward meaning of specific words and concepts.

The only thing you accomplished was to expose your own ignorance of the topic(s) at hand.

Be well-er.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree