1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 05:041 edit
    Bleak Atheism is the position on God's existence that says that the world is so painful, hopeless and bleak that it could not possibly be a perfect being's creation, nor would it continue to exist in its rut if it were truly in the care of a perfect overseer.

State whether you are a Bleak Atheist.
    State what bearing the General Argument from Evil has on the Bleak Atheist's position.
    Describe any relationships you find between Bleak Atheism and its bretheren Strong, Weak, and Meek Atheism.

Dr. S
  2. Not Kansas
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 05:20
    The World is fine with a bottle of wine. It's also good with a HEMI under hood. It doesn't suck with a pickup truck, I can forget George W with my BMW, I listen to Marley cruisin my Harley, the chicks dig me in my SUV, no such thing as a bummer in a Hummer, my Chevrolet is A-OK, never bored in my little red Ford.
    Sorry
    Carry on.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 05:22
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Bleak Atheism is the position on God's existence that says that the world is so painful, hopeless and bleak that it could not possibly be a perfect being's creation, nor would it continue to exist in its rut if it were truly in the care of a perfect overseer.

State what bearing the General Argument from Ev ...[text shortened]... nships you find between Bleak Atheism and its bretheren Strong, Weak, and Meek Atheism.

Dr. S
    I do not feel the world is hopeless. Therefore I am not a Bleak Atheist.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 08:06

State what bearing the General Argument from Ev ...[text shortened]... nships you find between Bleak Atheism and its bretheren Strong, Weak, and Meek Atheism.

Dr. S
    sounds to me like being a poor, pitiful, whiney wretch is a necessary condition for being a bleak atheist. that counts me out.

or maybe the bleak atheist would just say that he is realistic and brutally honest...i don't know.

i presume the bleak atheist would be in agreement with the conclusion of the general argument from evil; moreover he would have no qualms with accepting Premise 2 as true.

5. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 08:55

Dr. S
    I would put forth that some theists don't believe that the world will continue to exist in it's present state.

I think meak atheism sounds like a sort of cop out if you will. An excuse to give up in any regards.

If we don't believe in a theist argument, then we are personally responsible for our destinies, and therefore it is all really our fault.

Maybe one would believe in a theist argument where God does'nt become involved, and once again we are left to ourselves.

You could believe in the theist argument that God is in charge of all of it, and this is the plan, but then we take no responsibility upon ourselves at all.

The theist argument of God being a guide, like Jesus was, might have more bearing. Say God is perfect, and just can't be around this bleak existence because it is not perfect. The very introduction of a perfect being into this world may very well cause it's eventual demise. Jesus acting as a middle-man per se as part God/man, was able to try and bridge this gap, and show us how we could learn to get along and stop worrying about things so much. I think we know how that turned out.

I think I would rather a weak atheist argument, then a bleak one to be honest.

Nyxie

6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 09:35
    I thought you said Bleet Atheist at first.

Although I am a morose and cynical person with less hope than perhaps I should have, I don't believe this stems from any Atheist stance, I am therefore not a Bleak Atheist.
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 10:27

Dr. S
    Given the same set of known facts , isn't a bleak Atheist more of an realist than a theist that is really hoping that Theo isn't just a construct of wishful thinking?
  8. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 12:03

Dr. S
    I prefer Freak, Geek , Streak, Sneak and Reek Atheism.
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 14:52
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    I prefer Freak, Geek , Streak, Sneak and Reek Atheism.
    Be careful, RC: if you are too clever, DrS will accuse you of using a Thesaurus.

😛
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 16:07
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Be careful, RC: if you are too clever, DrS will accuse you of using a Thesaurus.

😛
    Oh please we all know dinosauruses don't exist any more. Even if they did such sauruses wouldn't let ANYONE use them. raarrrr.
  11. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 16:13
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Oh please we all know dinosauruses don't exist any more. Even if they did such sauruses wouldn't let ANYONE use them. raarrrr.
    Oh for fvck's sake people, we all know dinosaurs never existed; God just put the fossils here to tempt us into believing that crack-smoking darwin fellow 😉.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 16:13
    Originally posted by Nemesio

😛
    I'm sure that our young ovine friend will eventually be able to deduce that all atheisms are effectively synonymous without having to use such reference material.
  13. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 16:15
    Oh for fvck's sake people, we all know dinosaurs never existed; God just put the fossils here to tempt us into believing that crack-smoking darwin fellow 😉.
    You are evidently not a bleak atheist. Too d@mn cheery.
  14. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 16:21
    Originally posted by eagles54
    You are evidently not a bleak atheist. Too d@mn cheery.
    Hang on. Scribbles says all atheism is equivalent, so how can I be a Freak, Geek, Streak, Creek, Creak, Greek, Beak, Reek, Meek, Tweak and Peak atheist without being Bleak?

Does this also mean there cannot be a Unique Atheist if there exists a Bleak or Meek atheist, since there can only be one Unique atheist, but Unique atheism is equivalent to Mystique, Critique, Chic, Squeak and Leak atheism?
  15. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 16:25
    Hang on. Scribbles says all atheism is equivalent, so how can I be a Freak, Geek, Streak, Creek, Creak, Greek, Beak, Reek, Meek, Tweak and Peak atheist without being Bleak?

Does this also mean there cannot be a Unique Atheist if there exists a Bleak or Meek atheist, since there can only be one Unique atheist, but Unique atheism is equivalent to Mystique, Critique, Chic, Squeak and Leak atheism?
    Or perhaps unified, an Up The Creek Atheist (sans paddle). 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree