1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 16:16
    Wrong Atheism is the position held by any soul who has already died and been condemned to hell by God, who continues to insist that God does not exist, for no just God could condemn people to eternal torment.

Several interesting observations come to light when comparing Wrong Atheism with Strong Atheism, as well as with Bleak atheism. What are they?
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:09
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Wrong Atheism is the position held by any soul who has already died and been condemned to hell by God, who continues to insist that God does not exist, for no just God could condemn people to eternal torment.

Several interesting observations come to light when comparing Wrong Atheism with Strong Atheism, as well as with Bleak atheism. What are they?
    The words "Wrong" and "Strong" rhyme, while "Bleak" does not rhyme with the others.

3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:10

does the wrong atheist 'know' that he has been condemned to hell by god? i assume not, or he would reach a contradiction when he insists that god does not exist. so does the wrong atheist know where he is, and if so, how does he think he got there?

the wrong atheist position seems, to me, at first glance, to be contradictory -- the wrong atheist could not himself know that he is a wrong atheist (by your definition of a wrong atheist) or he would reach the above contradiction. so if a dead person told me 'i am a wrong atheist', i would conclude that he is just stubborn and deep down knows that he was wrong before when he was some other form of atheist.
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:12
    so if a dead person told me 'i am a wrong atheist', i would conclude that he is just stubborn and deep down knows that he was wrong before when he was some other form of atheist.

You're first conclusion should be that either you are dead as well or insane.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:12
    Originally posted by telerion
    The words "Wrong" and "Strong" rhyme, while "Bleak" does not rhyme with the others.

Bleak Atheism rhymes with its brothers Weak and Meek Atheism.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:15
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    does the wrong atheist 'know' that he has been condemned to hell by god? i assume not, or he would reach a contradiction when he insists that god does not exist. so does the wrong atheist know where he is, and if so, how does he think he got there?

the wrong atheist position seems, to me, at first glance, to be contradictory -- the wrong atheist co ...[text shortened]... st stubborn and deep down knows that he was wrong before when he was some other form of atheist.
    You have hit upon the main similarity between Strong and Wrong atheism.

Take a stab at Wrong and Bleak now.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:16
    Bleak Atheism rhymes with its brothers Weak and Meek Atheism.
    Meek Atheism? Isn't that kind of like classy feminism or altruistic capitalism?
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:25
    Meek Atheism? Isn't that kind of like classy feminism or altruistic capitalism?
    In the sense that it's an untenable position that tries to get the best of both worlds, yes.

Meek Atheism has been introduced here a couple months ago. It is best defined in contrast to Weak Atheism, by examining these two conversations.

Theist: I claim God exists. Do you believe in God?
    Weak Atheist: No, there is not sufficient evidence to convince me of his existence.
    Theist: So what? Why do you conclude God doesn't exist from that?
    Weak Atheist: I also believe that claims of existence should not be believed without observing sufficient evidence to support them. Thus, I deduce that I do not believe in God.

Meek Atheist: No.
    Theist: Do you believe that the claim of his existence lacks sufficient evidence?
    Meek Atheist: No.
    Theist: Well, why don't you believe in God?
    Meek Atheist: I don't assert any beliefs at all.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:33
    In the sense that it's an untenable position that tries to get the best of both worlds, yes.

Meek Atheism has been introduced here a couple months ago. It is best defined in contrast to Weak Atheism, by examining these two conversations.

Weak Atheist: No, there is not sufficient evidence ...[text shortened]... heist: Well, why don't you believe in God?
    Meek Atheist: I don't assert any beliefs at all.
    I think I need to do my homework on RHP Atheism.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:351 edit
    I think I need to do my homework on RHP Atheism.
    For this thread, you'll need to know about Bleak Atheism, which, in short, is the position that the world is so awful, hopeless, and bleak that it could not be under the control of a benevolent and omnipotent God, and thus such a God does not exist. You can think of it as one viewpoint that can result from accepting the General Argument from Evil.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:40
    You're first conclusion should be that either you are dead as well or insane.
    touche'
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 May '05 17:40

Take a stab at Wrong and Bleak now.
    i'm going to have to give this some thought...
  13. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    17 May '05 19:48

It is impossible for there to exist a wrong atheist, as no perfectly just God would condemn a soul to eternal torment.
  14. London
    Moves
    17 May '05 19:57
    Originally posted by bbarr
    It is impossible for there to exist a wrong atheist, as no perfectly just God would condemn a soul to eternal torment.
    Why not? The second proposition, I mean.
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    17 May '05 20:20
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Why not? The second proposition, I mean.
    Because it follows analytically from the notion of 'just'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree