Introducing Wrong Atheism

Introducing Wrong Atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
17 May 05

Originally posted by bbarr
Because it follows analytically from the notion of 'just'.
What notion of "just" are you referring to? And what do you mean by "condemn"?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 May 05
3 edits

Originally posted by bbarr
It is impossible for there to exist a wrong atheist, as no perfectly just God would condemn a soul to eternal torment.
This is not true. There very well may exist Wrong Atheists, if an unjust God has placed them in hell. The only claim the Wrong Atheist makes with regard to to justice is that no just God would have placed him in hell. There is nothing in the definition of Wrong Atheism that entails that wrong atheists cannot exist; their existence would lead to no contradiction based on the definition. It is not logically inconsistent that

1) An unjust God exists
2) That unjust God has placed a soul in hell
3) That soul holds the belief stated in the first post of this thread

Of course, the Wrong Atheist is wrong, because he claims God doesn't exist when even God does exist. I don't dispute that the wrong atheist is wrong. But holding a wrong belief doesn't mean you can't exist. Otherwise, we wouldn't have both Jews and Christians around us, would we?

x

NY

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by telerion
The words "Wrong" and "Strong" rhyme, while "Bleak" does not rhyme with the others.

MY GOD MA... YOUR CORRECT!
GENIOUS!!!!!

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
18 May 05
1 edit

If god exists then aren't all atheists wrong atheists?
If god has a half-life of some value, would the wrong atheist be a less-wrong-as-time-goes-by atheist?

L

Moves
18 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by KneverKnight
i don't think so. at least, not by the definition put forth by Scribs because the wrong atheist is dead and condemned already by defintion -- ie, a living atheist is by defintion not a wrong atheist. i still think the idea of being a wrong atheist is contradictory and confusing: suppose you are an atheist, and then you die and god condemns you to hell -- then to say you are now a wrong atheist is a contradiction because god has condemned you and therefore you know he exists. i am not sure how one could pass from being an atheist to being a wrong atheist without encountering this contradiction unless he were clueless as to why/how he was condemned.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 May 05
1 edit

No. Wrong Atheism is an arbitrary term. I could just as easily have called this belief Sribbletydibbletydoo. Being wrong about God not existing does not make one a wrong atheist. Being in hell and believing that God does not exist because no just God would send somebody to hell makes one a wrong atheist.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by LemonJello
i don't think so. at least, not by the defintion put forth by Scribs because the wrong atheist is dead and condemned already by defintion. i still think the idea of being a wrong atheist is contradictory and confusing: suppose you are an atheist, and then you die and god condemns you to hell -- then to say you are now a wrong atheist is a contradiction ...[text shortened]... without encountering this contradiction unless he were clueless as to why/how he was condemned.
Many theists hold logically untenable positions. That doesn't mean those theists don't exist. Why shouldn't the atheist be granted the same permission?

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
18 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
No. Wrong Atheism is an arbitrary term. I could just as easily have called this belief Sribbletydibbletydoo. Being wrong about God not existing does not make one a wrong atheist. Being in hell and believing that God does not ex ...[text shortened]... no just God would send somebody to hell makes one a wrong atheist.
Couldn't that say instead god is not just and the wrong atheist is wrong for assuming that god is just?
EDIT Nevermind, I'm muddying things up.

L

Moves
18 May 05

Many theists hold logically untenable positions. That doesn't mean those theists don't exist. Why shouldn't the atheist be granted the same permission?
i suppose that would only be fair.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 May 05
3 edits

Couldn't that say instead god is not just and the wrong atheist is wrong for assuming that god is just?
Wrong Atheism is a view that somebody willingly adheres to, like Strong Atheism. It's not an analytical judgment about somebody's belief. What you state is an analytical judgment of Wrong Atheism. Now, that belief could itself be given a name, such as Long Wrong Atheism. The Long Wrong Atheist believes that the Wrong Atheist is wrong for assuming that God is just. For the record, I'm not a Long Wrong Atheist, but I suspect that I have a better understanding of Wrong Atheism than you do, since I invented it, and thus I see a flaw with the Long Wrong Atheistic stance.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
18 May 05

Wrong Atheism is a view that somebody willingly adheres to, like Strong Atheism. It's not an analytical judgement about somebody's belief. What you state is an analytical judgement of Wrong Atheism. Now, that belief could itself be given a name such as Long Wrong Atheism. The Long Wrong Atheist believes that the Wrong Atheist is wrong for assuming that God is just.
Yup. Just edited my post because how can an atheist assume that god is just? My post made no sense.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 May 05
2 edits

Yup. Just edited my post because how can an atheist assume that god is just? My post made no sense.
No problem. Atheist taxonomies can be quite taxing.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
18 May 05

No problem. Atheist taxonomies can be quite taxing.
lol

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
What notion of "just" are you referring to? And what do you mean by "condemn"?
I'm using the standard notion; the notion people use when they say things like 'that was unjust', or 'justice will prevail' or 'being just is part of acting well'. I am not using some theistic fantasy notion of 'just' according to which punishing an entity for all eternity qualifies as 'just'. In general, I do not support stipulative definition when it comes to normative predicates.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
18 May 05

This is not true. There very well may exist Wrong Atheists, if an unjust God has placed them in hell. The only claim the Wrong Atheist makes with regard to to justice is that no just God would have placed him in hell. There is nothing in the definition of Wrong Atheism that entails that wrong atheists cannot exist; their existence would lead to no ...[text shortened]... an you can't exist. Otherwise, we wouldn't have both Jews and Christians around us, would we?
Nope, if God is by definition morally perfect (which is the case), and being just is a necessary condition for being morally perfect (which also is the case), then any entity that is unjust can't be God. An entity that would condemn another to eternal torment is unjust and therefore can't be God. Since is impossible for God to condemn an entity for eternity it follows that nothing could ever satisfy on of the necessary conditions for being a Wrong Atheist. So, there are no Wrong Atheists.