1. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jul '09 19:32
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Gedeon delivered Israel from their enemies, their battle cry was "The sword of the Lord and of Gedeon"
    You should read the lyrics of Bob Dylans song (I don't know who wrote it), "With God on our side"

http://www.bobdylan.com/#/songs/god-our-side

Nearly every war which included religious people had people on both sides chanting religious battle crys.
  2. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    26 Jul '09 19:36
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You should read the lyrics of Bob Dylans song (I don't know who wrote it), "With God on our side"

Nearly every war which included religious people had people on both sides chanting religious battle crys.
    Yeah but one side had to win, they aren't equal, something had to start it and one side had to be better.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jul '09 20:55

what about the battle of Stalingrad? did that well known advocate of religion, Joseph Stalin have religious chants, well actually no, although he did issue supreme soviet decrees, like 'not one step back' and sacrificed millions of lives in the process, a closet atheist I believe who used religion as a force for manipulation and control when it was expedient to do so.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 07:29
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Yeah but one side had to win, they aren't equal, something had to start it and one side had to be better.
    Of course that is usually true. But I was pointing out that chanting "Gods on our side" doesn't actually indicate that God supports war. People always claim God is on their side. I am still not convinced that you have given any Biblical evidence that God thinks war can be inherently good.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 07:30
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ... a closet atheist I believe ....
    ha ha ha. Aren't you the same person who doesn't believe that atheists actually exist? Or am I confusing you with someone else?
  6. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 21:10
    Of course that is usually true. But I was pointing out that chanting "Gods on our side" doesn't actually indicate that God supports war. People always claim God is on their side. I am still not convinced that you have given any Biblical evidence that God thinks war can be inherently good.
    Yes I have many times, He told Moses to go fight 3 times, they lost twice, because God was testing them (and him). They win the 3rd time, God's victory!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 21:363 edits
    ha ha ha. Aren't you the same person who doesn't believe that atheists actually exist? Or am I confusing you with someone else?
    oh they exist all right, but its getting them out of the closet thats the thing! to me they are simply in denial, the pain of life having exerted its influence upon them to such an extent that they are delirious and unconscious of their spiritual need.

actually i have completely changed my attitude towards atheism since coming to this forum, and while i myself do not adopt the stance, for to me God is an undeniable reality, i more fully understand why others may.
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 21:59
    what about the battle of Stalingrad? did that well known advocate of religion, Joseph Stalin have religious chants, well actually no, although he did issue supreme soviet decrees, like 'not one step back' and sacrificed millions of lives in the process, a closet atheist I believe who used religion as a force for manipulation and control when it was expedient to do so.
    Hitler was also someone who used religion as a force for manipulation and control when it was expedient to do so.

The german soldiers all had "God with us" on their belts. I guess at Stalingrad, not so much.
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 22:01
    oh they exist all right, but its getting them out of the closet thats the thing! to me they are simply in denial, the pain of life having exerted its influence upon them to such an extent that they are delirious and unconscious of their spiritual need.

actually i have completely changed my attitude towards atheism since coming to this forum, and ...[text shortened]... dopt the stance, for to me God is an undeniable reality, i more fully understand why others may.
    How has it changed?

Atheists have gone from not existing to just being theists in denial? So you've gone from denial to condescention.

I guess it's progress.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 22:08
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    How has it changed?

Atheists have gone from not existing to just being theists in denial? So you've gone from denial to condescention.

I guess it's progress.
    how has it changed? for being subject to so many views and differing opinions, naturally one assimilates those opinions, and while not accepting them as our own, for how could that be, for we have our own minds and our own evaluations, at least some type of mutual understanding may be reached. as for the condescension, it was said tongue in cheek, but you were not to know that, naturally.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 00:09
    how has it changed? for being subject to so many views and differing opinions, naturally one assimilates those opinions, and while not accepting them as our own, for how could that be, for we have our own minds and our own evaluations, at least some type of mutual understanding may be reached. as for the condescension, it was said tongue in cheek, but you were not to know that, naturally.
    Well, you described a process of change, but not so much how your view has truly changed.... I guess I might have phrased the question better.

I'm sorry I didn't get that it was tongue in cheek - text is a terribly poor medium for some things.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 08:13
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Well, you described a process of change, but not so much how your view has truly changed.... I guess I might have phrased the question better.

I'm sorry I didn't get that it was tongue in cheek - text is a terribly poor medium for some things.
    alas it is true, words can be such cumbersome vehicles, unless of course one is a wordsmith and able to forge and fashion them to his will. If such is the case i must be a spoon bender.
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 15:46
    alas it is true, words can be such cumbersome vehicles, unless of course one is a wordsmith and able to forge and fashion them to his will. If such is the case i must be a spoon bender.
    You're a regular Uri Geller 😛
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 19:36
    Now I am confused about which closet you want them out of. I am not even sure if you think I am in or out of the closet. Maybe I should go further back and see if I can find Narnia.

actually i have completely changed my attitude towards atheism since coming to this forum, and while i myself do not adopt the stance, for to me God is an undeniable reality, i more fully understand why others may.
    Good to know that we are at least learning from each other even if we are not convincing each other.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree