14 Jul '09 19:211 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    yet another reason why America is superior

Edit: USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
  2. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 19:57
    God Is Goodness itself, it is bad therefore to blasphemy, not that God can't defend Himself.

Don't you think murder needs legal protection?
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 20:062 edits
    It amazes me that so many supposedly astute adult thinkers cannot discern that preservation of civil peace seems to be the goal of the laws.

Sure, if someone gets a bull horn and blasts through the neighberhood that your wife is a whore, it is a victimless crime. You know better.

But if someone doesn't take kindly to it and a rioteous unrest or violent confrontation is instigated, a law may discourage such instigation.

You may say "well these religious people certainly are weak." That may be true. However the government may have concern to keep civil order and peace in society. Should a government not offer some protection to weak people too ?

"Don't go out of your way to aggravate religious people. Or demonstrate that education and not insult is your motive, please."
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 20:10
    Originally posted by duecer
    yet another reason why America is superior

Edit: USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    EU! EU! EU!

(Estados Unidos)
  5. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 20:56
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    EU! EU! EU!

(Estados Unidos)
    Why in Spanish?
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 22:242 edits
    Originally posted by jaywill
    It amazes me that so many supposedly astute adult thinkers cannot discern that preservation of civil peace seems to be the goal of the laws.

Sure, if someone gets a bull horn and blasts through the neighberhood that your wife is a whore, it is a victimless crime. You know better.

But if someone doesn't take kindly to it and a rioteous unrest or viole igious people. Or demonstrate that education and not insult is your motive, please."
    [/b]
    I prefer free speech. No group gets exceptions. There is no 'right not to be offended'.

If we did it your way, religious groups could spout whatever BS they wished without being challenged.

Government should step in once a violent act is committed. It is a waste of time and resources trying to step in every time someone gets offended in some silly argument.
  7. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I prefer free speech. No group gets exceptions. There is no 'right not to be offended'.

If we did it your way, religious groups could spout whatever BS they wished without being challenged.

Government should step in once a violent act is committed. It is a waste of time and resources trying to step in every time someone gets offended in some silly argument.
    1. So someone should always get offended?

2. Sounds like you, you just said you believe in free speech.

3. Then why are you arguing?
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:08
    Originally posted by daniel58
    1. So someone should always get offended?

2. Sounds like you, you just said you believe in free speech.

3. Then why are you arguing?
    1. Non-sequitur.

2. Go ahead, challenge me. Obviously, since I'm an atheist and you're a theist, we both believe the other's position is BS. This is to be expected.

3. You missed the point. Try reading more carefully next time.
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:18
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    1. Non-sequitur.

2. Go ahead, challenge me. Obviously, since I'm an atheist and you're a theist, we both believe the other's position is BS. This is to be expected.

3. You missed the point. Try reading more carefully next time.
    My point is, why are you posting?
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:27
    My point is, why are you posting?
    I'm becoming convinced of the veracity of generalissimo's diagnosis...
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:36
    Originally posted by jaywill

But if someone doesn't take kindly to it and a rioteous unrest or viole ...[text shortened]... igious people. Or demonstrate that education and not insult is your motive, please."
    [/b]
    I agree with what SwissGambit said.

Do you think an anti-blasphemy law preserves "civil peace"? What is "Civil Peace"?

If someone doesn't take kindly to the speech and instigates a violent confrontation then it's the one who is violent who is fault, not the one making the speech.

If you are so weak that you get so offended at free speech that you are prone to be violent then you don't deserve the protection of violating someone else's right of free speech.
  12. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:50
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I agree with what SwissGambit said.

Do you think an anti-blasphemy law preserves "civil peace"? What is "Civil Peace"?

If someone doesn't take kindly to the speech and instigates a violent confrontation then it's the one who is violent who is fault, not the one making the speech.

If you are so weak that you get so offended at free speech that y ...[text shortened]... then you don't deserve the protection of violating someone else's right of free speech.
    What is free speech? Does threats count as free speech?
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:53
    What is free speech? Does threats count as free speech?
    What kind of threats? Blasphemy isn't a threat.

It is true that death threats - if a reasonable person would consider them to be serious is illegal in many places.

Blasphemy, however, is not a threat.
  14. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 23:55
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    What kind of threats? Blasphemy isn't a threat.

It is true that death threats - if a reasonable person would consider them to be serious is illegal in many places.

Blasphemy, however, is not a threat.
    It's not a threat, it's wrong.
  15. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 01:12
    It's not a threat, it's wrong.
    It being wrong in your opinion or even if a majority thinks it's wrong doesn't mean it should be illegal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree