1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 18:22
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If I accept that God is the author of the Bible then, of course, Christianity is true. If that's all you're trying to prove then you win. The question is really can you logically prove that God is the author of the Bible? And secondly, as I presume you are talking about your fundamentalist cult brand of Christianity and not say, the Christianit ...[text shortened]... ree in anything you assert as part of your doctrine.But it's a free forum; knock yourself out.
    I didn't ask you to accept it, I asked you to pretend. In other words, the logical possiblity God exists? Embrace it for the purposes of this post. When I debate an athiest, I normally try and see things from his point of view so I can present good points to him (or her). That includes thinking as if God doesn't exist. It doesn't affect my beliefs one bit, but it opens up my mind to new insight.

My focus is on presenting Christ to you, not any particular denomination. I happen to believe that one should base their Christianity on the Bible and the Bible alone, but I feel that once someone accepts Jesus, that is the natural step they take eventually.

I can admit the possiblity of error, if someone were to point it out to me. 'God appears mean in this instance' isn't very convincing when I'm aware they don't understand God's motives in the first place.
  2. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 18:40
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I didn't ask you to accept it, I asked you to pretend. In other words, the logical possiblity God exists? Embrace it for the purposes of this post. When I debate an athiest, I normally try and see things from his point of view so I can present good points to him (or her). That includes thinking as if God doesn't exist. It doesn't affect my beliefs on ...[text shortened]... isn't very convincing when I'm aware they don't understand God's motives in the first place.
    You should have named this thread "I'm Darfius and I think Christianity is true...."

If you did that you could argue from opinion and emotion. The way you set yourself up in addressing the issue is that you take material that is subjective, emotional and opinionated, presented as a provable fact which it is not, it is a faith.

RTh
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 18:50
    I didn't ask you to accept it, I asked you to pretend. In other words, the logical possiblity God exists? Embrace it for the purposes of this post. When I debate an athiest, I normally try and see things from his point of view so I can present good points to him (or her). That includes thinking as if God doesn't exist. It doesn't affect my beliefs on ...[text shortened]... isn't very convincing when I'm aware they don't understand God's motives in the first place.
    I misunderstood. I accept the logical possibility that God exists, so I don't have to pretend or accept it for the sake of this argument. I'm also not an atheist as I've pointed out many times. I've explained before that I am open to evidence supporting theism of any sort, including Christianity. So, please proceed.
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 18:51
    Originally posted by Ringtailhunter
    You should have named this thread "I'm Darfius and I think Christianity is true...."

If you did that you could argue from opinion and emotion. The way you set yourself up in addressing the issue is that you take material that is subjective, emotional and opinionated, presented as a provable fact which it is not, it is a faith.

RTh
    Perhaps you should retract that statement and realize that everything we think and perceive is bias because of our opinion. Would you like me to present one of my opinions that is closer to 'fact'?

Just because you do not agree with me does not give you the right to be rude or off-topic. If you wish to participate, then do so, if not then kindly leave.
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 18:52
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I misunderstood. I accept the logical possibility that God exists, so I don't have to pretend or accept it for the sake of this argument. I'm also not an atheist as I've pointed out many times. I've explained before that I am open to evidence supporting theism of any sort, including Christianity. So, please proceed.
    Great to hear. 😀

I'm just waiting for Starr to check in before I continue.
  6. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 19:07
    Perhaps you should retract that statement and realize that everything we think and perceive is bias because of our opinion. Would you like me to present one of my opinions that is closer to 'fact'?

Just because you do not agree with me does not give you the right to be rude or off-topic. If you wish to participate, then do so, if not then kindly leave.
    My statement was not in agreement or disagreement with you.

Fact is fact.

Faith is faith.

You cannot argue faith as fact.

Main Entry: 1faith
    Pronunciation: 'fAth
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural faiths /'fAths, sometimes 'fA[th]z/
    Etymology: Middle English feith, from Old French feid, foi, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust -- more at BIDE
    1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
    2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

I thought when I opened this thread that this was going to be an open minded debate Based on it's title "is Christianity true?" I am dissapointed. I see that it is not an open minded debate after all.
    You should be less misleading with your thread titles.

RTh
  7. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 19:08
    Would you humor me and think of God as the author of the Bible, no1? Just for the purposes of the thread? Don't worry, I don't think pretending gets you in danger of getting theist juice on you. 😉
    I thought that God only inspired the Bible, and did not personally write it. Honestly, Darfius, you always seem to alter your opinion on this matter to suit the argument at hand. Perhaps I will start a seperate thread on this subject to try and nail it down once and for all.

... --- ...
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 20:55
    Let me ask you a few questions, Darfius:

Is it your opinion that 2+2=4? Or would you say that this is
    a fact?

What if my opinion was that 2+2=3? What would you say to
    that? Would you say that it was an opinion worthy of respect simply
    by virtue of my holding it?

Nemesio
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 21:172 edits
    Since Heaven is where God is, it is pure happiness, love and eternal life with none of the opposites of those.
    How then would you respond to Kreeft's sloppy response to the argument from evil and the argument from suffering in "The Case for Faith" by Lee Stobel (which you recommended to me)?

Kreeft basically argues that evil is necessary for free will, and free will is necessary for true love. Pain is necessary in order to value happiness. In Kreeft's words, "a world without suffering appears more like hell than heaven."

From his words, it sounds like you are really describing Hell.

But then I always thought you agreed with Kreeft on this.

"If He had made us unable to choose evil, we would be slaves, would we not? Would you rather be a slave then enjoy such things as love, goodness and happiness? Because those things don't exist unless we have hate, evil, and sadness." - Darfius (Thread: Is There A God? page 1)

"If He had made us unable to choose evil, what basis would we have to enjoy something as good?" - Darfius (Thread: Is There A God? page 4)

Do you just make this stuff up as you go, espousing whatever doctrine bests suits the situation?

10. Joined
    01 Oct '03
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 22:02
    I'd like to know what you think of this quote, Starr. Please bear with me, it's a Bible verse, but I promise not to be circular. 🙂

1st Corinthians 1:20-25 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did ...[text shortened]... of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.
    wow... i've just been convinced... bye
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 22:21
    Originally posted by telerion
    How then would you respond to Kreeft's sloppy response to the argument from evil and the argument from suffering in "The Case for Faith" by Lee Stobel (which you recommended to me)?

Kreeft basically argues that evil is necessary for free will, and free will is necessary for true love. Pain is necessary in order to value happiness. In Kreeft's words ...[text shortened]... stuff up as you go, espousing whatever doctrine bests suits the situation?

We make our choice using free will on Earth. Heaven is our reward.

No, I don't make things up, it's clearly in Scripture. Do you sacrifice babies and howl at the moon, tel? Don't ask stupid questions.
  12. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 22:291 edit

No, I don't make things up, it's clearly in Scripture. Do you sacrifice babies and howl at the moon, tel? Don't ask stupid questions.
    Stupid questions are tels way of getting you upset. (I know, it's hard not to). 😉
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Apr '05 00:182 edits

I don't think these questions are stupid at all. I think you are as usual making grand declarations and then sweeping the implications under the rug.

When it is necessary you argue that your god could not have created a world where people choose not to do evil and do not experience pain because this would have deleterious effects on our experience of love and happiness.

Then when it is convenient, you claim that the very best world we could live in (i.e. Heaven) is a place where there is no suffering or evil but instead is full of love and happiness.

So the question is if it was possible for your god to create a better world where people choose not to do evil, endure no pain, and have a fuller understanding of love and happiness, then why did he make this place instead. And if it was impossible, then how is that he created heaven?

The reason I accuse you of making things up is that when I give you sincere, well-researched objections, you usually hide behind incendiary statements like the ones above, claiming to have the clear truth from scripture, but never actually backing yourself up with truth. So rather than clear the issue up, you ignore the question or dismiss it with aggressive language.

Even, Coletti, who apparently has once again become sympathetic to your position, had to comment on the weakness of your posts in the "How can a God of love send somebody to hell?" You made grandeous professions of clear truth from the Bible, but never backed it up. Instead you reverted to insults and distorted fragments of the Psalms.
  14. London
    Moves
    23 Apr '05 00:19
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Let me ask you a few questions, Darfius:

Is it your [b]opinion
    that 2+2=4? Or would you say that this is
    a fact?

What if my opinion was that 2+2=3? What would you say to
    that? Would you say that it was an opinion worthy of respect simply
    by virtue of my holding it?

Nemesio[/b]
    What if it was 2+2=10?
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Apr '05 00:22
    True. 2+2 need not equal four. It could for instance equal 1.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree