1. Wat?
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 15:59
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    a Mind has personally engaged us.

That is the humane fragmented part of embarrassment within.

We seem to think we are being watched, some of us, that is!!!!

Tell me of any body who has never been momentarily fearful of their own thoughts, and abilities, of a downward side??

It is meeting our own mind that may be our failure, before our animal death!

I believe there is nothing but, within me, to have a second or third attempt... after that I cease and carry nothing.

I am interested in your thoughts of why I would like to think that!

I'm also interested to know where the energy, as heat leaving my body, goes.....

'cos I feel warmth from the sun each day... but know it is burning out!
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 16:24
    Originally posted by mikelom
    That is the humane fragmented part of embarrassment within.

We seem to think we are being watched, some of us, that is!!!!

Tell me of any body who has never been momentarily fearful of their own thoughts, and abilities, of a downward side??

It is meeting our own mind that may be our failure, before our animal death!

I believe there is nothing but ...[text shortened]... my body, goes.....

'cos I feel warmth from the sun each day... but know it is burning out!
    Metaphysically-speaking, everything you say here is valid. However...

We know that we've been engaged because of His interactions (interruptions, if you will) into human history. We have the Flood, the Jew, the Cross, the Empty Tomb; really, more pointing toward this other reality than anything pointing away.

I know we think that energy is eternal, but I'm not quite as sure--- at least not necessarily in the manner we consider energy to be.
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 16:39
    Metaphysically-speaking, everything you say here is valid. However...

We know that we've been engaged because of His interactions (interruptions, if you will) into human history. We have the Flood, the Jew, the Cross, the Empty Tomb; really, more pointing toward this other reality than anything pointing away.

I know we think that energy is eternal, but I'm not quite as sure--- at least not necessarily in the manner we consider energy to be.
    We seem to be agreeing on somethings here.

I ask, aren't those floods, crosses etc. just icons of an own internal desire, as an animal instinct, not to fail at our own instinctive desire to live on?

To me, it points inwards not outwards. We better ourselves to give the survival instinct to our off-spring, don't we? Don't all animals?

Or, because we believe we are a master of an icon, or subservient to one, we aren't animals - but a party to a much higher being?
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 22:441 edit
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    Respect to you for trying, but you are not sure are you.

This is what I find laughable about the idea that God looks like a person, it's just silly and I think you agree. A lot of people have never considered this. If "He" is omnipresent, he presumably has no physical form other than possibly the shape of the universe which "He" occupies in it's ent ...[text shortened]... unsure. Actually I find the issue very interesting because I enjoy unanswerable questions.
    ===========================
    ========================

No. I am not sure I fully appreciate what the Scripture means in all its depth that God created man in His own image.

But I am pretty sure about man being a vessel to contain God and that he is unique in this regard. It logically follows that if God fits into man that man must be created in a corresponding manner.

At any rate, I don't find myself giggling about the whole thing.

==================================
    This is what I find laughable about the idea that God looks like a person, it's just silly and I think you agree. A lot of people have never considered this. If "He" is omnipresent, he presumably has no physical form other than possibly the shape of the universe which "He" occupies in it's entirety.
    ======================================

I have to consider that a man walked the earth who acted like God, and that convincingly. All that comes into my considerations.

=========================
    The glove analogy was a sterling effort (thanks) but sadly failed to clarify things for me.

I am not discouraged in the least. Some people just get the help from that analogy.

Do you think some people just laugh at things they don't understand ? I do.

This area of religion, you must admit, is full of confusion, contradiction and impossibility. You who have studied it for many years are still unsure. Actually I find the issue very interesting because I enjoy unanswerable questions.
    ================================

When I ask "free thinkers" or athiests why they are here, why they exist, I don't get very satisfactory answers either.

Many say "Why does there have to be a reason anyway?" But I find this apathetic or at best evasive.

So all things considered I think being a Bible believing Christian puts me way ahead of the problem. In human history there is an example of a God-man. That goes a long way to plumbing the depths of the mystery for of man's design and existence.

For me it beats the pop notion of man as a freak accident.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 23:27
    Originally posted by jaywill
    God is a bachlor who is lonely and wants to be married.

In the eternal future God's wife is a corporate female [b]New Jerusalem

In other words the culmination of human history is discribed in the Bible as a collective, aggregate, corporate female as a Bride and Wife of God.

"And I saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heav ...[text shortened]... a big female. God is the male, the bridegroom and husband in this eternal romance.
    What in the world are you talking about? God is lonely?
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 00:46
    Originally posted by galveston75
    What in the world are you talking about? God is lonely?
    I think God was a bachlor and desired to have a companion.

Why else would the Bible conclude with a marriage ?

Adam looked at all the animals and not one was found that could match him until God built his wife from Adam's rib. I think this is a little window into the heart of God Himself.

Adam replied with delight "This time it is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh. She shall be called woman."

Maybe it is too much to say that God was lonely. However, I do think this picture of Adam finally gaining a counterpart that came out of him to match him, is a window into the eternal purpose of God Himself.

He desires a counterpart, a romantic other which matches Him in life and in nature. Through Christ's salvation that is what He gains - a romantic counterpart the New Jerusalem as His Bride and Wife. I do not think it is an accident that this touches our human sense of completion.
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 00:47

No. I am not sure I fully appreciate what the Scripture means in all its depth that God created man in His own image.

Not in "His" image. "Our" image.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 03:49
    Originally posted by mikelom
    We seem to be agreeing on somethings here.

I ask, aren't those floods, crosses etc. just icons of an own internal desire, as an animal instinct, not to fail at our own instinctive desire to live on?

To me, it points inwards not outwards. We better ourselves to give the survival instinct to our off-spring, don't we? Don't all animals?

Or, because we ...[text shortened]... r of an icon, or subservient to one, we aren't animals - but a party to a much higher being?
    Again, there are many agreeable nuances--- nearly sensual in nature--- when we examine and explore the multiple applications and resonating themes truth weaves in and out of our own experiences and existence.

Melodic, harmonic as any of these may be, its a path divergent from the cold-hard facts of history. Furthermore, I don't see God entreating us to follow wisps of smoke in hopes of eventually finding a warm fire. His directions are very straight-forward, very reliant/referential upon the historicity of certain events in history.

Don't get me wrong: I enjoy jazz like nobody's business. But my appreciation for it stems from my knowledge of the underlying disciplines required to play it well.
  9. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 11:49
    Again, there are many agreeable nuances--- nearly sensual in nature--- when we examine and explore the multiple applications and resonating themes truth weaves in and out of our own experiences and existence.

Melodic, harmonic as any of these may be, its a path divergent from the cold-hard facts of history. Furthermore, I don't see God entreating us to ...[text shortened]... iation for it stems from my knowledge of the underlying disciplines required to play it well.
    We are all sensual, in all natures. Even murderers are reacting to sensual indiscipline, in most cases..... unless the murder is by accident.

I also know, as a professional guitarist at times of my choice, how disciplined the likes of Heifetz are at playing with sensual emotion. That skill, albeit from the heart (once the play is mastered), is factual and a well encountered skill - recognisable and measurable..... by our own very sensual natures of realistic understanding.

Please point me to an event, with which you make reference to, that shows me a factual and sensual historic direction in which God played a part. A straight forward and ascertained one please, as you say there are.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 12:25
    [b]===========================
    ========================

But I am pretty sure about man being a vessel to contain God and that he is unique in this regard. It l ...[text shortened]... sign and existence.

For me it beats the pop notion of man as a freak accident.[/b]
    When I ask "free thinkers" or athiests why they are here, why they exist, I don't get very satisfactory answers either.

The bottom line is that nobody knows. Some people feel comfortable enough to admit it, others feel more comfortable following a man-made narrative. God is just something to 'fill in the gaps' of mankinds knowledge.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 12:302 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]When I ask "free thinkers" or athiests why they are here, why they exist, I don't get very satisfactory answers either.

The bottom line is that nobody knows. Some people feel comfortable enough to admit it, others feel more comfortable following a man-made narrative. God is just something to 'fill in the gaps' of mankinds knowledge.[/b]
    ask me! ask me! it is to live a happy and purposeful life! Naturally this cannot be done without reference to the divine, never the less perhaps atheists and free thinkers can adopt the saying and utilise it to their own circumstances. Existing is hardly purposeful.
  12. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 12:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ask me! ask me! it is to live a happy and purposeful life! Naturally this cannot be done without reference to the divine, never the less perhaps atheists and free thinkers can adopt the saying and utilise it to their own circumstances. Existing is hardly purposeful.
    The Buddha just held up a single flower. Kasyapa, who was capable of great magic, realized he was not happy and began to follow the Buddha. There was no god involved. Humans are quite capable of walking around without claiming to know more than we really do.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 12:57
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    The Buddha just held up a single flower. Kasyapa, who was capable of great magic, realized he was not happy and began to follow the Buddha. There was no god involved. Humans are quite capable of walking around without claiming to know more than we really do.
    i am sure they are, but why limit ones search for truth to unintelligent causes or merely human explanations?
  14. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 13:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i am sure they are, but why limit ones search for truth to unintelligent causes or merely human explanations?
    Why not worship the Venusians?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 14:18
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Why not worship the Venusians?
    who are they?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree