1. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 17:45
    I happened on this debate between Christopher Hitchens vs John Lennox. What are your thoughts, does Hitchens or Lennox make the point? The video is nearly 2 hours.

YouTube
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 19:38
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    I happened on this debate between Christopher Hitchens vs John Lennox. What are your thoughts, does Hitchens or Lennox make the point? The video is nearly 2 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p1mDPQw1Yk
    Oh, this thread again.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 19:44
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Oh, this thread again.
    My apologies if this has run it's course, I didn't know. I will look back a little farther the next time, certianly wonldn't want to bore anyone. 😉
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 19:491 edit
    My apologies if this has run it's course, I didn't know. I will look back a little farther the next time, certianly wonldn't want to bore anyone. 😉
    Well, you are only approaching the idea from a different direction.

My apologies if this thread is not intended to eventually be "how can God be great when he's obviously a vicious lying murderous bastard"?
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 20:38
    Well, you are only approaching the idea from a different direction.

My apologies if this thread is not intended to eventually be "how can God be great when he's obviously a vicious lying murderous bastard"?
    Well given that the god described in the OT IS "obviously a vicious lying murderous bastard" it's a reasonable question.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 20:441 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well given that the god described in the OT [b]IS "obviously a vicious lying murderous bastard" it's a reasonable question.[/b]
    Reasonable question or not, my point is that this type of thread has been done to death and the theists and the atheists will never agree.

Anyways, your "given" is false. Therefore...
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 21:09
    Reasonable question or not, my point is that this type of thread has been done to death and the theists and the atheists will never agree.

I would second a motion that "...this type of thread has been done to death..." should be a criterion for not starting or replying to a thread, except that this forum would fall silent. 😉
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 21:14
    Originally posted by JS357
    I would second a motion that "...this type of thread has been done to death..." should be a criterion for not starting or replying to a thread, except that this forum would fall silent. 😉
    Hmmm, yeah, true, but I can still offer my eye-rolling opinion on this particular topic. 🙂
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 14:112 edits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p1mDPQw1Yk
    Thanks kd2acz. I watched 80% or so of one video.
    I've had hours and hours of hearing Hitchens debate.

There are some other good debates with Christopher Hitchens.
    As a Theist, these are some responders whose debates with Hitchens I would recommend: (that does not mean these are all Christian Theists necessarily)

John Lennox
    William Lane Craig
    Denish D'souza
    Frank Turek
    David Berlinski
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:07

And here lies the rub...

Your god is the one described in the OT.

In the OT god creates hell (a place of eternal torture for those he doesn't like),
    commits genocide and incites genocide multiple times, approves and sanctions
    torture and rape, denigrates women, and IS "obviously a vicious lying murderous bastard"

ANY literal reading of the acts ascribed to god in the OT can come to no other conclusion.

And a non-literal reading of the OT simply means that you are making stuff up.

The god AS DESCRIBED IN THE BIBLE is evil pure and simple.

If you don't read it literally then you are not believing in the god of the bible you are believing
    in something else.

So my given is not false.

And yes I can easily provide verses to support ever single one of those statements should you
    be incapable of reading your own bible to find them.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:481 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    And here lies the rub...

Your god is the one described in the OT.

In the OT god creates hell (a place of eternal torture for those he doesn't like),
    commits genocide and incites genocide multiple times, approves and sanctions
    torture and rape, denigrates women, and IS "obviously a vicious lying murderous bastard"

ANY literal reading of the a le one of those statements should you
    be incapable of reading your own bible to find them.
    No. Your given IS false. You judge God through the narrowest lens imaginable (and yet you would also call out God for using a narrow lens to judge you), expect Him to live up to YOUR human/materialist value system (while complaining about God's value system) and call Him evil (even while denigrating Him for presumably making the same judgement about you).

Nice. Continue complaining about the speck in God's eye while ignoring the beam in your own. Good show.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:50
    Originally posted by sonship
    I've had hours and hours of hearing Hitchens debate.
    I'm dreadfully sorry.

I can't stand listening to arrogant people. It makes my skin crawl.
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 16:04
    No. Your given IS false. You judge God through the narrowest lens imaginable (and yet you would also call out God for using a narrow lens to judge you), expect Him to live up to YOUR human/materialist value system (while complaining about God's value system) and call Him evil (even while denigrating Him for presumably making the same judgement about you). ...[text shortened]... inue complaining about the speck in God's eye while ignoring the beam in your own. Good show.
    Yes I judge the god of the bible using secular morality because secular morality is superior to religious morality.

And your god apparently wishes to punish me for all eternity simply for not worshipping your god.

What I do other than that is irrelevant.

That makes your god the greatest evil imaginable.

Your god is a piece of filth. And fortunately also non-existent.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 17:52
    I'm dreadfully sorry.

I can't stand listening to arrogant people. It makes my skin crawl.
    I agree. I did it to hear the replies.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 18:01
    Originally posted by sonship
    I agree. I did it to hear the replies.
    Welcome to the forums, then.

😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree