Is god just a myth or a way to control people?

Is god just a myth or a way to control people?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
19 Jun 07

Religion and fear from what i've seen seem to go hand in hand.Is it not possible that god was invented to control the masses?

JJ

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by steponup
Religion and fear from what i've seen seem to go hand in hand.Is it not possible that god was invented to control the masses?
God wasn't invented for that...and people naturally fear what they dont understand....i think that applies somewhat to christians as well!!!

JE

Moves
19 Jun 07

No one invented religion. Its just a perfect way to explain things we don't understand.

As humans evolved and developed self awareness, and then soceity and culture they would imediatly be faced with some difficult questions. With the development of language increasing the complexity of soceity its not going to take long before a self aware being questions its existance and the existance of things around it. Religion develops from this basic human nature. A lack of knowleage of purpose ('why are we here?'😉 and origin ('how did we get here?'😉 leads over time to ideas of Gods and creators. Sun worship is an obvious place to start, a light and life giving sphere in the sky. How do you explain its existance? Maybe its a God or many its controled by God.

Another difficult quesiton is 'what happens when we die?' With self awarness it becomes difficult to imagine what a lose of awarness would be like. How can it just be oblivion? Fear and a lack of understanding of death leads to the afterlife. And a seperat afterlife develops for the good and bad, because isn't it so incredibly unfair that some good people suffer when some bad people lead great lives? We don't like to accept the unfairness and indifference of the universe. We like to find comfort in the thought that something is watching over us and protecting us. As human beings, we hate to be alone. Religion can fill that particular human need.

After all trhis its just culture. Human groups become isolated and various cultures and creationstories and ultimatly religions spring up all based on varying myths. If one were really true then which? All peoples of all the hundreds of faiths that have existed throughtout all of human history ardently believed that they were right.

But to summerise, religion is not invented (except maybe scientology) it evolves. It comes from basic human nature, a fear of death, a fear of the unknown, a need for comfort and a need for meaning in life. Religion is perfect. It dose anything we want. It explains all, it brings ultimate justice to the oppressed and it gives us something to kill and die for, another brilliant human trait.

s

Moves
19 Jun 07

you've obviously ginen it some thought but do you believe in god in any form?

JE

Moves
19 Jun 07

you've obviously ginen it some thought but do you believe in god in any form?
Nope. I used to though. But I never had blind faith, I questioned my religion. Like you said, I gave it a lot of thought. I am now an atheist.

w

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by Jake Ellison
Nope. I used to though. But I never had blind faith, I questioned my religion. Like you said, I gave it a lot of thought. I am now an atheist.
So what thought led you to becoming an atheist?

JE

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by whodey
So what thought led you to becoming an atheist?
Well I never had some sudden revelation, but yeah, thought, over a long period of time, and reading.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
God wasn't invented for that...and people naturally fear what they dont understand....i think that applies somewhat to christians as well!!!
Ahhhh, but he was invented, right!?!

Illinois

Moves
19 Jun 07

No one invented religion. Its just a perfect way to explain things we don't understand.

As humans evolved and developed self awareness, and then soceity and culture they would imediatly be faced with some difficult questions. With the development of language increasing the complexity of soceity its not going to take long before a self aware being que ...[text shortened]... oppressed and it gives us something to kill and die for, another brilliant human trait.
Why do human beings have a need for meaning in the first place? Or a need for God? Have you ever asked yourself whether or not the reason we might have these needs is because we were meant to? After all, if we were created for fellowship with God, without him would we not eventually in some way or another sense our incompleteness?

w

Moves
19 Jun 07

Well I never had some sudden revelation, but yeah, thought, over a long period of time, and reading.
I realize you lost your faith over thinking. My question is about what specifially if anything?

U
All Bark, No Bite

Playing percussion

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by epiphinehas
Why do human beings have a need for [...] God? [...] The reason we might have these needs is because we were meant to? After all, if we were created for fellowship with God, without him would we not eventually in some way or another sense our incompleteness?
That logic seems rather circular.

On top of that, I've seen no evidence that humans as a species have a need for God anyway. We have a need for explanation. We want things to happen for a reason, which is a natural extension of our curiosity and intelligence. We created various myths and stories to explain nature, nothing more.

JE

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
That logic seems rather circular.

On top of that, I've seen no evidence that humans as a species have a need for God anyway. We have a need for explanation. We want things to happen for a reason, which is a natural extension of our curiosity and intelligence. We created various myths and stories to explain nature, nothing more.
But when we don't have an explaination, God is good at filling the gaps and providing the explaination. At varying times in human history God has filled gaps that there is no way people of the time could have solved scientifically. So yeah we need an explantion, but that need is often what creates God.

U
All Bark, No Bite

Playing percussion

Moves
19 Jun 07

But when we don't have an explaination, God is good at filling the gaps and providing the explaination. At varying times in human history God has filled gaps that there is no way people of the time could have solved scientifically. So yeah we need an explantion, but that need is often what creates God.
Basically what I said.

JE

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
Basically what I said.
Yeah but you said humans don't need a God. I don't think they do now, but when God is the explaination you could say humans need a God.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
19 Jun 07

Wrong, I know for fact that they were not controled becasue they always rebeled.