1. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 19:331 edit
    .. or do atheists know the Bible better than professed Christians.

Too often you would ask a Christian who makes a statement of doctrine, for Biblical support and references for statements made, and none are produced. The only conclusion one can make about that is that he does not know. On the contrary atheists have often told Christians what statements are contained in the bible.

Or maybe atheists are more honest and forthright about the contents of the Bible.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 20:43
    Originally posted by @rajk999

Too often you would ask a Christian who makes a statement of doctrine, for Biblical support and references for statements made, and none are produced. The only conclusion one can make about that is that he does not know. On the contrary atheists have often told Christians what statement ...[text shortened]... the bible.

Or maybe atheists are more honest and forthright about the contents of the Bible.
    A sweeping statement but you are correct that a lot of people don't know about
    their own religion. I have had to tell some (in real life and on here) what the
    Immaculate Conception is and many do not know how the bible came into existence.

I know very little about Christianity but it is still more than some Christians.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 21:36

Too often you would ask a Christian who makes a statement of doctrine, for Biblical support and references for statements made, and none are produced. The only conclusion one can make about that is that he does not know. On the contrary atheists have often told Christians what statement ...[text shortened]... the bible.

It's your imagination.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 21:38
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    A sweeping statement but you are correct that a lot of people don't know about
    their own religion. I have had to tell some (in real life and on here) what the
    Immaculate Conception is and many do not know how the bible came into existence.

I know very little about Christianity but it is still more than some Christians.
    So you are saying most Christians do not know that Jesus was born to the virgin Mary?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 23:07
    Originally posted by @eladar
    So you are saying most Christians do not know that Jesus was born to the virgin Mary?
    See, moron, this is what he is talking about. It surprises no one that you do not know that the Immaculate Conception is a Catholic concept about the conception of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and not Jesus himself.

As I've told you before, stop embarassing Christians with your lack of knowledge. People start thinking all Christians are as dumb as a sack of hammers, like you.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 23:13
    Geez, I don't really know if that is true at all. That is something that you would hear a lot of people saying in the mid 2000s, but I think that we have sloughed off a lot of the people who were mere cultural Christians. They do not actively try to claim association with Christianity anymore and instead talk about how like friendship & love are their religion...

I go to the Orthodox Church and in my meeting group I think most people are not just familiar with the Bible but also familiar with the Church fathers. We are usually covering theological issues and Church fathers each Sunday in this group in addition to hearing a passage both from the Epistles and the Gospels each Sunday.

We aren't hot shots or anything, but most of the people at Church can tell you about St. John Chrysostom or St. Basil the Great or Fr. Seraphim Rose, let alone speak extensively about the meaning of certain passages and what we have to believe as Christians. Of course, this is not necessary knowledge for salvation... but I think what you are saying above isn't very true.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 23:16
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    Geez, I don't really know if that is true at all. That is something that you would hear a lot of people saying in the mid 2000s, but I think that we have sloughed off a lot of the people who were mere cultural Christians.
    You are saying that there has been some kind of major shift in Christianity since the mid-2000s or are you talking about something that happened in the last 10 years in your own church and community?
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 23:28
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    See, moron, this is what he is talking about. It surprises no one that you do not know that the Immaculate Conception is a Catholic concept about the conception of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and not Jesus himself.

As I've told you before, stop embarassing Christians with your lack of knowledge. People start thinking all Christians are as dumb as a sack of hammers, like you.
    I thought he said Christian not Catholic.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 02:35
    More comedy 😀
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 02:52
    More comedy 😀
    Point out in the Bible any place that mentions anything special about Mary's birth.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 03:33
    Point out in the Bible any place that mentions anything special about Mary's birth.
    This thread is not about Mary.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 03:51
    This thread is not about Mary.
    It is about Christian beliefs. One pagan belief has evidently been associated with being Christian. Then one who likes to pretend she is a christian went off on it as if it is Christian.

Perhaps your observation is based on beliefs espoused as some to be Christian but really are not.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 03:54
    Originally posted by @fmf
    You are saying that there has been some kind of major shift in Christianity since the mid-2000s or are you talking about something that happened in the last 10 years in your own church and community?
    I think, from what I have observed, that there are less people who are just cultural Christians wandering around and are incapable of mounting any kind of argumentation or demonstrating that they know what they are talking about...

I would also say that adult Orthodox & Catholics are generally rather knowledgeable of the basic tenets.

I think that there are even some Protestant sects that could be said to know the Bible more than u s, but there are also Protestant sects which do not even truly emphasize the Biblical or church traditions in their services, and perhaps they still are producing people who do not have a solid theological basis.

I do not mean to offend Protestants, though. I think they might actually agree with me.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 04:26
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    I think, from what I have observed, that there are less people who are just cultural Christians wandering around and are incapable of mounting any kind of argumentation or demonstrating that they know what they are talking about...

I would also say that adult Orthodox & Catholics are generally rather knowledgeable of the basic tenets.

I think ...[text shortened]... asis.

I do not mean to offend Protestants, though. I think they might actually agree with me.
    Jesus warned against the traditions of man. He referred to it as the yeast of the Pharisees.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 09:13
    😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree