1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 15:44
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 15:58
    Yes, the only grounds for divorce is infidelity on the part of ones wife or husband, yet,
    they may choose to forgive them, if its possible. There are other grounds for
    separation, but not divorce.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 19:541 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes, the only grounds for divorce is infidelity on the part of ones wife or husband, yet,
    they may choose to forgive them, if its possible. There are other grounds for
    separation, but not divorce.
    Edit: Consider two cases:

1. A same-sex civil union.
    2. A opposite sex civil union.

Is secular dissolution of a civil union banned by the Bible?
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 21:44
    God will honor that marriage just as he honors the believers marriage. God hates divorce.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 22:031 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    God will honor that marriage just as he honors the believers marriage. God hates divorce.
    You make me wonder about this: What if the marriage is a civil ceremony at the courthouse with a certificate of marriage, but there is no religious content in the ceremony or vows? Does God honor that kind of marriage?

A closely related question, does God honor marriage between nontheists? Non-Christian theists?

(Edit: That last question is for the Christians.)
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 22:10
    Originally posted by JS357
    You make me wonder about this: What if the marriage is a civil ceremony at the courthouse with a certificate of marriage, but there is no religious content in the ceremony or vows? Does God honor that kind of marriage?

A closely related question, does God honor marriage between nontheists? Non-Christian theists?

(Edit: That last question is for the Christians.)
    i would say yes.

would the couple still fell some guilt of having sex before marriage?
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 22:41
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    i would say yes.

would the couple still fell some guilt of having sex before marriage?
    I don't know this hypothetical couple well enough to know what they've been up to or how they feel about it. 😉
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 11:591 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Edit: Consider two cases:

1. A same-sex civil union.
    2. A opposite sex civil union.

Is secular dissolution of a civil union banned by the Bible?
    a same sex civil union has no legitimacy as far as Biblical standards are concerned, a
    heterosexual civil union i suspect is still viewed as a marraige and must be honoured,
    the only grounds for divorce being fornication on the part of one or both of the
    marraige mates. Customs differ from culture to culture.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 12:28
    the only grounds for divorce being fornication on the part of one or both of the marraige mates. Customs differ from culture to culture.
    I think women should be able to divorce husbands who subject them to physical violence or rape them. Wouldn't you agree?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 12:41
    Also, what about abandonment?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 14:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think women should be able to divorce husbands who subject them to physical violence or rape them. Wouldn't you agree?
    the Bible makes the argument that in the case of either physical abuse or negligence a
    Christian sister is free to separate, the only grounds for divorce are fornication, what I
    think is irrelevant, as the question was, on what grounds does the Bible prohibit
    divorce, or words to that effect.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 14:27
    what I think is irrelevant, as the question was, on what grounds does the Bible prohibit divorce, or words to that effect.
    Well, OK, those Biblical "words to that effect" aside, in reality and as a matter of personal conscience, do you think women should be able to divorce husbands who subject them to physical violence or rape them? This is a different question from the one about "on what grounds the Bible prohibits divorce". This is a question about what you think.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 14:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, OK, those Biblical "words to that effect" aside, in reality and as a matter of personal conscience, do you think women should be able to divorce husbands who subject them to physical violence or rape them? This is a different question from the one about "on what grounds the Bible prohibits divorce". This is a question about what you think.
    I uphold the Biblical standards set by Jesus Christ, under such circumstances a
    Christian sister should separate, the only grounds for divorce are fornication.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 14:50
    I uphold the Biblical standards set by Jesus Christ, under such circumstances a
    Christian sister should separate, the only grounds for divorce are fornication.
    I accept that this may possibly be a "biblical standard" but it doesn't strike me as a moral approach to marriage.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 15:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    I accept that this may possibly be a "biblical standard" but it doesn't strike me as a moral approach to marriage.
    Of course it doesn't, you have your own morality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree