1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 15:212 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Of course it doesn't, you have your own morality.
    Well, I find your attitude to divorce doctrinaire and little else. Your stance does not seem "moral" at all. It sounds like something you have taken from a book, and it sounds like the fact you have taken it from a book is more important to you than the physical violence or the marital rape we are ostensibly discussing.

What moral or virtuous outcome is there from not allowing a woman, who is victimized by a man in these sorts of ways, to divorce him? I get it that there is something written in your book which says something about "fornication" but fails to mention physical violence and marital rape, but the fact that it is written in a book, in and of itself, does not make adhering to it moral.

What is the good that is created by disallowing a beaten or raped woman from divorcing her tormentor, and marrying someone else?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 16:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, I find your attitude to divorce doctrinaire and little else. Your stance does not seem "moral" at all. It sounds like something you have taken from a book, and it sounds like the fact you have taken it from a book is more important to you than the physical violence or the marital rape we are ostensibly discussing.

What moral or virtuous outcome is ther ...[text shortened]... disallowing a beaten or raped woman from divorcing her tormentor, and marrying someone else?
    its your morality, you justify it.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 16:09
    Don't accept it if you don't want to. We all have to make our own way in this world. You say you took a look at some religious groups, shopped around a bit and finally chose the group and beliefs that you now profess. I would not have settled for what you have settled for, robbie.

Finding that a book insisted that divorcing a wife beater or marital rapist was "immoral", while it is "moral" to divorce in the case of infidelity, would cause me, as a free moral agent - just as you are, or claim to be - to doubt, and - as a matter of the same personal conscience that you often mention - to question the book's validity as an authority or arbiter of morality.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 16:40
    the Bible makes the argument that in the case of either physical abuse or negligence a Christian sister is free to separate
    Can you provide scripture to support this please?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 16:42
    the Bible makes the argument that in the case of either physical abuse or negligence a Christian sister is free to separate
    Can you please define "physical abuse" and "negligence" (do you mean neglect?) within this contex?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 17:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Can you please define "physical abuse" and "negligence" (do you mean neglect?) within this contex?
    yes, but quite frankly, i cannot be bothered, I have given the Biblical stance, its good
    enough for me.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 17:12
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    i would say yes.

would the couple still fell some guilt of having sex before marriage?
    I perhaps flippantly answered about the couple having premarital sex, but I want to see if I understand your "yes" answer about the couple's civil marriage.

It seems to me that the Christian view on this is that a marriage exists when God deems it to exist. Under this view, so far it seems that two opposite-sex adults who enter into a civil marriage with the agreed intention that God will deem it to be a marriage, satisfy God's requirement. Basically they ask for God's blessing of their marriage. The required outward signs are minimal. In the extreme, the last two people in the world could marry with no one else around except God. (Same as the first two people.🙂)

As for these believers, it is not clear to me how far their belief in God may deviate from "correct" Christian beliefs about God, and still satisfy God's requirement. I suppose if the couple wants recognition of their marriage by members of a particular faith, they need to meet the requirements of that faith, and God is the judge of that faith.

But this way of saying it requires that they be sincere believers in God, so that non-believers' civil marriages are not marriages in the eyes of God and for that matter non-believers who do a church wedding aren't married in the eyes of God. Can that be right?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 17:20
    yes, but quite frankly, i cannot be bothered, I have given the Biblical stance, its good
    enough for me.
    It is revealling of your nature that you are willing to make claims but "can't be bothered" to substantiate them.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 17:21
    Bumb for robbie.

Just in case you "can't be bothered"...
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '12 21:461 edit

Another bump for robbie
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '12 06:00
    I'm guessing this is your new strategy for avoiding questions you don't like. Interesting.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Aug '12 02:012 edits
    Of course it doesn't, you have your own morality.
    ..which is better than just having to accept the one already thought out for you?

(very classy 😛 )

edit: I just realized I have stumbelled into some sort of stand off technique from RC,(ignoring? ). Otherwise he'd be all over you on this subject, Dive!!
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '12 08:33
    I asked you "What is the good that is created by disallowing a beaten or raped woman from divorcing her tormentor, and marrying someone else?"

Your answer was: "its your morality, you justify it."

But disallowing a beaten or raped woman from divorcing her tormentor and marrying someone else is your "morality", not mine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree