1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 18:021 edit
    Just a question for all of you out there regardless of your religious persuasion. In regards to most every Christian I talk to in my inner circles, there is a resounding "yes". In fact, it is accepted more as a fact than a mere possibility.

In addition, if the "end" is near, what is the end in your estimation. If I am not mistaken every religion deals with "end of days" issues. Also, for you atheists out there, do you see mankind ending as a species in the near future?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 18:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    Also, for you atheists out there, do you see mankind ending as a species in the near future?
    No, unless there is a perhaps a major nuclear exchange.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 18:18
    Just a question for all of you out there regardless of your religious persuasion. In regards to most every Christian I talk to in my inner circles, there is a resounding "yes". In fact, it is accepted more as a fact than a mere possibility.
    Do they offer any evidence for this claim, or is the resounding due to the claim being issued in an otherwise empty room without any supporting premises to interfere with the soundwaves?

Further, how does the fact that they have been claiming this for a couple thousand years affect their credibility?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 18:18
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    No, unless there is a perhaps a major nuclear exchange.
    I think that most, if not all, apocalyptic scenarios in the Christian version of "the end" involves a nuclear exchange of some sort. The suspected culprits, of course, include Russia/Iran/Pakistan/North Korea/terrorists and the US/Israeli counter measures after being attacked.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 18:283 edits
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Do they offer any evidence for this claim, or is the resounding due to the claim being issued in an otherwise empty room without any supporting premises to interfere with the soundwaves?

Further, how does the fact that they have been claiming this for a couple thousand years affect their credibility?
    Biblical prophetic evidence is often applied to this belief. You may laugh all you want at these prophesies but the fact of the matter is that Israel seems to be in the middle of the whole mess today, which is reflective of Biblical indications as to how the end will come about. Possibilities for this phenomenon that I can think of include, blind luck, people constructing reality to mirror their own beliefs, or it is the real deal.

Of course there are other Biblical prophesies that strike a cord in Christians. Specifically regarding the mark of the beast that is on your right hand and/or your forehead and without it you will be unable to buy or sell anything. Christians are often bombarded by stories of how cattle and such are being tagged electronically and how even people are being tagged with chips embedded in their hands or forehead that simply send cold chills up their respective backs.

All in all, I would say these are the two motivating evidences that drive such speculations. However, we also now have a world economic crisis on our hands that also driving such speculation. It amazes me just how fragile this little world is and how easy it is to burst every ones little bubble.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 19:50
    Was someone speaking to Pat Robertson today?

Whodey, are you a pre, mid or post-tribber? How will you be preparing for the tribulation?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 00:392 edits
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Was someone speaking to Pat Robertson today?

Whodey, are you a pre, mid or post-tribber? How will you be preparing for the tribulation?
    I don't listen to Pat Robertson. Additionally, I don't concern myself with the whole pre, mid, post debate. All I am concerned with is that there is a resurrection. Therefore, the only thing I prepare is my heart. I don't worry about the tribulation.

So how about you? How do you see it all ending, or had you even contemplated it?

Edit: The bomb shelter buried in the back yard with a 2 year food supply to boot is not being recognized in the above statement. 😛
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 01:10
    The end is near. Or the end is far. In any case I only live until my next breath and everything after that is uncertain.
  9. Earth
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 06:22

In addition, if the "end" is near, what is the end in your estimation. If I am not mistaken every religion deals w ...[text shortened]... so, for you atheists out there, do you see mankind ending as a species in the near future?
    We should not be so literal. The Bible is speaking of spiritual renewal.

For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. ISA 65:17

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2COR 5:17

Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. 2 Peter 3:13

Every once in a while, God's teaching (usually represented as the sun) gets currupted by the clergy, mullah, pundit... The sun gets darkened. So God send new Messengers to destroy the old and establish the sun of truth again.

Thou sendest forth thy spirit, they are created: and thou renewest the face of the earth. PSA 104:30
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 06:25

In addition, if the "end" is near, what is the end in your estimation. If I am not mistaken every religion deals w ...[text shortened]... so, for you atheists out there, do you see mankind ending as a species in the near future?
    The end will probably be in around 10 to 30 years.
    That's when I'll probably die.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 06:41
    When I was at university, several Christians assured me that the end would come within a year or two. I believe that one of the pastors at the university preaches that message every year to the gullible new students.
    The curious thing is that however sure a Christian may sound when making such proclamations, I am yet to meet one who will put his money where his mouth is.
    Can you find a single Christian who will make a sizable monetary bet that the end will come within say the next 10 years? Maybe the 'accepted more as fact' is not quite as certain as you might think. Observe the Christians you are talking about and you will find that they are not actually living as if the end is near.
    I will admit that there have been various suicide cults which did actually live up to the claim ie they made major life decisions based on the firm belief that the end was near, for example they gave all their worldly goods to their leader.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 07:43
    I think that most, if not all, apocalyptic scenarios in the Christian version of "the end" involves a nuclear exchange of some sort. The suspected culprits, of course, include Russia/Iran/Pakistan/North Korea/terrorists and the US/Israeli counter measures after being attacked.
    you forgot to include china on your list of possible maniacs

and of course its a little odd that only the us and the israelis are listed as innocent countries not possibly able to start the light show
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 07:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    When I was at university, several Christians assured me that the end would come within a year or two. I believe that one of the pastors at the university preaches that message every year to the gullible new students.
    The curious thing is that however sure a Christian may sound when making such proclamations, I am yet to meet one who will put his money wh ...[text shortened]... m belief that the end was near, for example they gave all their worldly goods to their leader.
    a cult mass suicided because the pastor convinced them that the end was comming within a year.

rumor coz i didn't find it on the web so treat it as such.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 07:56
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    The end will probably be in around 10 to 30 years.
    That's when I'll probably die.
    can you say "earth becomming a lump of hot strange matter"?

but then again, that will skip a few steps from the apocalypse so this is conclusive proof that the LHC wont go bust.
  15. Joined
    08 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 08:51

Yes. the end is near. however things change depends on how God works in His Ways.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree