Is the end near?

Is the end near?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Oct 08

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
a cult mass suicided because the pastor convinced them that the end was comming within a year.

rumor coz i didn't find it on the web so treat it as such.
I did find references to cult suicides:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_suicide

but but you could be right that none of them did it because they thought the world would end. It is possible that the Ugandan group did, but there is suspicion that that was mass murder not mass suicide.

I find it odd that you find failure to find something on the web to be convincing evidence that it is rumor. Surely rumors are as prevalent on the web as factual accounts?

Z

Moves
08 Oct 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
I did find references to cult suicides:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_suicide

but but you could be right that none of them did it because they thought the world would end. It is possible that the Ugandan group did, but there is suspicion that that was mass murder not mass suicide.

I find it odd that you find failure to find something on the w ...[text shortened]... incing evidence that it is rumor. Surely rumors are as prevalent on the web as factual accounts?
no, i just said that it is a rumor until proven otherwise.

w

Moves
08 Oct 08

When I was at university, several Christians assured me that the end would come within a year or two. I believe that one of the pastors at the university preaches that message every year to the gullible new students.
The curious thing is that however sure a Christian may sound when making such proclamations, I am yet to meet one who will put his money wh ...[text shortened]... m belief that the end was near, for example they gave all their worldly goods to their leader.
These gullible Christians and cult followers obviously did not heed the warning of Christ who said that NO man knows the day. However, he also said that we can know the season we are in by looking at our environment.

In short, anyone who pinpoints a specific date is "full of it", however, that does not mean we cannot understand the season we are in.

w

Moves
08 Oct 08

Originally posted by Varqa
We should not be so literal. The Bible is speaking of spiritual renewal.

For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. ISA 65:17

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2COR 5:17

Nevertheless we, according t ...[text shortened]... sendest forth thy spirit, they are created: and thou renewest the face of the earth. PSA 104:30
Interesting. So you don't see this present world EVER ending, rather, we are only to renew ourselves spiritually?

Do you believe in a heaven or is this it?

w

Moves
08 Oct 08

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
you forgot to include china on your list of possible maniacs

and of course its a little odd that only the us and the israelis are listed as innocent countries not possibly able to start the light show
Egads you are right, I forgot to include China!!

As for the part about the US or Israel starting things, I was speaking to the view of how most Christians see it being initiated. Of course, anything is possible. I guess that is what makes life so interesting, no?

Cape Town

Moves
08 Oct 08

Originally posted by whodey
These gullible Christians and cult followers obviously did not heed the warning of Christ who said that NO man knows the day. However, he also said that we can know the season we are in by looking at our environment.

In short, anyone who pinpoints a specific date is "full of it", however, that does not mean we cannot understand the season we are in.
I have not claimed that any of them knew the specific day. The problem with the 'season' thing is that you cannot define for me what a 'season' is can you?
In other words, if I say, well we are in the season of the end times and seasons are no longer than 10 years, you may counteract that with, "well we don't know for sure whether or not it will be 10 or 20 or 100 years".
In other words, even knowing what season we are in, actually tells us nothing.

s

England

Moves
08 Oct 08

its easy to say at any time we are in the end of times, early christians belived that as the saviour had been then the time of judgement was at hand. But stay awake do not let the deciver of the world gain your soul your life is short anyway and even if you do not see the times end you will see your own.
p.s awake meaning gaurd your soul.

v

Moves
08 Oct 08

Just a question for all of you out there regardless of your religious persuasion. In regards to most every Christian I talk to in my inner circles, there is a resounding "yes". In fact, it is accepted more as a fact than a mere possibility.

In addition, if the "end" is near, what is the end in your estimation. If I am not mistaken every religion deals w ...[text shortened]... so, for you atheists out there, do you see mankind ending as a species in the near future?
Well in all of history the end has never been as near as it is today. But then again, tomorrow it will even be a day closer.

w

Moves
09 Oct 08
1 edit

I have not claimed that any of them knew the specific day. The problem with the 'season' thing is that you cannot define for me what a 'season' is can you?
In other words, if I say, well we are in the season of the end times and seasons are no longer than 10 years, you may counteract that with, "well we don't know for sure whether or not it will be 10 or ...[text shortened]... 0 years".
In other words, even knowing what season we are in, actually tells us nothing.
Perhaps this will give you a taste.

Matthew 24:4 "...take heed that no man deceive you. For many will come in my name saying, I am Christ, and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you be not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and the earthquakes in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows......except those days be shortened, there would be no flesh saved.....But of that day and hour no man knows, no man, no not even the angels of heaven, but my Father only. But as the days of Noah were, so will also the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage until the day that Noah entered the ark. And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away, so will also the coming of the Son of Man be.....Therefore, be ready, for in such an hour as you think not the Son of Man comes"

So in essence you are correct. This tells us next to nothing as to when Christ will return except that, on the one hand, everything continues as it always has but, on the other, if he does not return when he does mankind would destroy himself entirely. I guess the viability of mankind being capable of destroying himself for the first time in human history for me is a sign that the end is very near indeed. In this sense, the prophetic words of Jesus have meaning for myself.

w

Moves
09 Oct 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
The end will probably be in around 10 to 30 years.
That's when I'll probably die.
I would have to agree. You see, either we come to the end of the world or the end of the world comes to us. Both have the same effect and one or the other is nearer than we would like to admit.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
09 Oct 08

Just a question for all of you out there regardless of your religious persuasion. In regards to most every Christian I talk to in my inner circles, there is a resounding "yes". In fact, it is accepted more as a fact than a mere possibility.

In addition, if the "end" is near, what is the end in your estimation. If I am not mistaken every religion deals w ...[text shortened]... so, for you atheists out there, do you see mankind ending as a species in the near future?
It strikes me as more than a little bizarre that there are people who seriously believe this. In fact, it scares the crap out of me that there are people who truly believe the end of the world is near.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
09 Oct 08

Originally posted by amannion
It strikes me as more than a little bizarre that there are people who seriously believe this. In fact, it scares the crap out of me that there are people who truly believe the end of the world is near.
It could get worse.
They might be right.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
09 Oct 08

Originally posted by Rajk999
It could get worse.
They might be right.
Nah, I'm pretty confident I live in a world that is not governed by fairy tales and by ghosts and goblins and gods.
We'll be okay - unless these people get into power.
I'm thankful I live in a nation that avoids this sort of stuff ...

w

Moves
09 Oct 08

Originally posted by amannion
Why are you so fearful?

Cape Town

Moves
09 Oct 08

So in essence you are correct. This tells us next to nothing as to when Christ will return except that, on the one hand, everything continues as it always has but, on the other, if he does not return when he does mankind would destroy himself entirely. I guess the viability of mankind being capable of destroying himself for the first time in human history f ...[text shortened]... e end is very near indeed. In this sense, the prophetic words of Jesus have meaning for myself.
I must have missed it. Where did Jesus say that man having the capability to destroy himself was a sign that the end was near?

And when you say "very near indeed", do you mean days, weeks, years, centuries? What would you actually bet that it will happen in say the next 10 years?