1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '11 19:171 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    But doing that would spoil the value of the eternal prize devout followers are promised for spreading the sacred word of the [have yet to give my upcoming Holy book a name]

an eternal supply blow up dolls! (double eternal supply if they're ugly)
    an eternal supply blow up dolls,

you could promise your inflatable Christians that as an incentive, just think inflatable lads, everlasting blow up dolls for you!
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 May '11 20:25
    Originally posted by divegeester
    This is allegedly from a source from over a decade ago - look at the bottom, line. Where does this money come from?

"A few financial figures that happen to have fallen into my sweaty palms. While only a small piece of the WT's financial jigsaw puzzle, they effectively illustrate the level of $ under the society's control."

Watchtower Bible a ...[text shortened]... ...0 / 8,402,426

NET ASSETS AT END OF PERIOD............[b]$634,223,848
    / 557,404,351[/b]
    In all fairness, I do not think that these statistics show any avarice on the part of the JWs. Galvo is right. There are significant costs for any religious organisation. Although, given the small number of JWs, these revenues are quite unexpected. I don't think the Vatican draws that much from its worldwide collection.

Perhaps JWs are just more generous. Or, more likely, most JWs are just working middle-class with the money to spare. JWs do seem to target only particular neighborhoods.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '11 20:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    considering we dont sell magazines but they are distributed without charge how is it
    possible that the more we hand out the more money we make? are you fronting
    another big fat lie? again?
    I think he was suggesting that if you give out magazines, you get new members who donate. But then I could be wrong, he might have thought that you sell the magazines.

As for the actual figures, I have no idea what a typical Church has in terms of finances. Does anyone here have anything to compare it with?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '11 20:36
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I don't think the Vatican draws that much from its worldwide collection.
    But the Catholic Church, probably does. The Catholic Churches books would certainly have much higher figures than that, but then they run hospitals, schools and many other organizations.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 May '11 21:02
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But the Catholic Church, probably does. The Catholic Churches books would certainly have much higher figures than that, but then they run hospitals, schools and many other organizations.
    There isn't really such thing as 'Catholic Church books'. The Catholic Church has nothing comparable to the Watchtower magazines. Nor does the Catholic Church have an official publishing house. There are certainly many publishers affiliated with the Catholic Church in some way; there are definitely many Catholic publications and many books which bear the imprimatur of a bishop. But no revenue is collected centrally. The Daughters of St Paul, for example, who run many Catholic bookshops (Catholic in the sense that they sell Catholic-associated literature), keep the profit entirely to themselves. I suspect too that most Catholic books run at a loss. The Catholic Truth Society, for example, which publishes a number of tracts on traditional Catholicism around the world, cannot exist off the sale of its books but rather relies on charitable donations.
  6. St. Peter's
    Moves
    07 May '11 21:34
    considering we dont sell magazines but they are distributed without charge how is it
    reading comprehension isuues? or did I hit the nail on the head again?
  7. St. Peter's
    Moves
    07 May '11 21:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think he was suggesting that if you give out magazines, you get new members who donate. But then I could be wrong, he might have thought that you sell the magazines.

As for the actual figures, I have no idea what a typical Church has in terms of finances. Does anyone here have anything to compare it with?
    the people who give out the magazines pay for them, hence they are encouraged to give out as many as possible.
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 May '11 22:011 edit
    nvm
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 May '11 22:083 edits
    I think that Doward's argument as twhitehead points out goes as follows:
    Alice wants to donate £100 to her favourite kingdom hall, but then she thinks better of it and reasons that if she purchases 100 watchtower books from Bob the watchtower publisher, and then distributes these to 100 people; the chances are that
    a) More money will be denoted to said kingdom hall on aggregate should she succeed in converting enough people (such that they donate)
    b) Some of them will copy Alice and generate even more money for Bob, and the Kingdom Hall in the long run (at their own expense)

Whether this is what actually happens I don't know.
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    08 May '11 01:17
    Yeah this is one I don't have a problem with per se they have to make revenue some how to keep the Kingdom Hall open ect

Manny
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 May '11 04:38
    Originally posted by Doward
    the people who give out the magazines pay for them, hence they are encouraged to give out as many as possible.
    Where do you get this info from? Whoever it is, is lying to you as we do not pay for the magazines at all never ever.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '11 08:41
    reading comprehension isuues? or did I hit the nail on the head again?
    yeah thats right the more free literature we give to interested people the more money
    we make. Perhaps you have figures for a particular area, lets say Sweden, which has
    a revenue deficit of the number of books, magazines, tracts, bibles and brochures
    distributed to the amount of revenue generated through donations? feel like a total
    idiot yet? dont worry, you will if you keep it up.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '11 08:45
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Where do you get this info from? Whoever it is, is lying to you as we do not pay for the magazines at all never ever.
    why do simple facts evade them continually? they have asserted that the more magazines we distribute the more money we make from the more persons that respond (Doward). I have been a witness for fifteen years, i have literally distributed thousands of magazines and not one person that i know of has become a witness as a direct consequence of one of those magazines. When confronted with this FACT his lie is once again exposed. What is so hard to comprehend that the upkeep and building of Kingdom halls, the printing of Bibles, books, magazines, brochures, tracts etc is accomplished through voluntary contributions? Is it so hard to understand? You have divesgeester who it seems cannot read a balance sheet, indeed, a balance sheet is the last place one should look for if one is looking for a profit to loss ratio, for a balance sheet is merely a list of assets and liabilities, not of profit and loss. He then from his inability to read one makes a statement that we may encourage tithing??? how does that figure?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '11 08:461 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    Yeah this is one I don't have a problem with per se they have to make revenue some how to keep the Kingdom Hall open ect

Manny
    Well well the great light shining in a dark place has spoken. What is so hard to
    comprehend that the upkeep and building of Kingdom halls, the printing of Bibles,
    books, magazines, brochures, tracts etc is accomplished through voluntary
    contributions? Is it so hard to understand?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '11 08:481 edit
    another big fat lie! why is it so hard for you to understand that our whole organisation
    works upon voluntary donations, please note that word, voluntary, as of ones own
    violation, as in not coerced by anyone? Is it really so hard for you to grasp?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree