1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 10:49
    Originally posted by Starrman

No, since there is no proof Jesus rose from the dead, and his entire huan existence is also debateable.

The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ has been more carefully examined than the evidence for any other fact of history! It has been weighed and considered by the greatest of scholars, among them Simon Greenleaf, the Royal Professor of Law at Harvard from 1833 to 1848 who helped bring Harvard Law School to preeminence and who has been called the greatest authority on legal evidences in the history of the world. When Greenleaf turned his mind upon the resurrection of Christ and focused upon the light of all the laws of evidence, he concluded that the resurrection of Christ was a reality, that it was a historical event, and that anyone who examined the evidence for it honestly would be convinced this was the case.

Simon Greenleaf, The Testimony of the Evangelists (1847; reprinted., Grand Rapids, Mich: Baker House, 1965), 28-30.
  2. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 10:58
    Originally posted by dj2becker

[b]No, since there is no proof Jesus rose from the dead, and his entire huan existence is also debateable.

The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ has been more carefully examined than the evidence for any other fact of history! It has been weighed and considered by the greatest of scholars, among th ...[text shortened]... stimony of the Evangelists (1847; reprinted., Grand Rapids, Mich: Baker House, 1965), 28-30.[/i][/b]
    Is it that there are those who chose just not to believe?
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 11:14
    What you're doing is simply being rude.
    answer the man in the thread you were debating him in.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 11:34
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    What you're doing is simply being rude.
    answer the man in the thread you were debating him in.
    I did. I am just opening it for further debate... Sorry man I didn't mean to offend you.
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 11:37
    I did. I am just opening it for further debate... Sorry man I didn't mean to offend you.
    no offence taken, but I did inform starrman for you .lol
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 11:55
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    no offence taken, but I did inform starrman for you .lol
    Oh, thanx! But I am still continuing the debate on the other forum with Starman. This one was simply to get a greater variety of views.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 12:00
    So, since I have not read Greenleaf, would you care to elaborate on some of the evidence he provides to support this claim.
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 12:00
    Oh, thanx! But I am still continuing the debate on the other forum with Starman. This one was simply to get a greater variety of views.
    you must agree that since you started the thread with a quote from starrman. he needed to be informed about those views.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 13:081 edit
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    Is it that there are those who chose just not to believe?
    Well there are quite a few who chose not to believe but when they critically examine the evidence they change their mind...

It was the case with Frank Morison, a British lawyer who set out to write a book repudiating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. He wrote his book, but it is not the book he set out to write. As he examined the evidence for the resurrection of Christ, this sceptical lawyer found it so overwhelming he was forced to accept it and became a believer. The book he did write, titled Who moved the Stone?, sets forth the evidence of the resurrection of Christ, and its first chapter is called "The Book That refused to be Written." Lew Wallace also set out to write a book disproving the deity of Christ and His resurrection and ended up writting a famous book defending it. The book was titled Ben Hur.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 16:37
    Well there are quite a few who chose not to believe but when they critically examine the evidence they change their mind...

It was the case with Frank Morison, a British lawyer who set out to write a book repudiating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. He wrote his book, but it is not the book he set out to write. As he examined the evidence for the resur ...[text shortened]... is resurrection and ended up writting a famous book defending it. The book was titled Ben Hur.
    Please actually present some evidence, rather than saying somebody else believed it to be true.
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 17:231 edit

[b]No, since there is no proof Jesus rose from the dead, and his entire huan existence is also debateable.

The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ has been more carefully examined t ...[text shortened]... 47; reprinted., Grand Rapids, Mich: Baker House, 1965), 28-30.[/i][/b]
    Over 100 years ago, a lawyer named Simon Greenleaf said it's true?

Well shucks, that settles it!

12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 17:26

It was the case with Frank Morison, a British lawyer who set out to write a book repudiating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. He wrote his book, but it is not the book he set out to write. As he examined the evidence for the resur ...[text shortened]... is resurrection and ended up writting a famous book defending it. The book was titled Ben Hur.
    Wait! Now Frank Morison and Lew Wallace, too?

I'm bowled over. 🙄
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 17:27
    Here's a link for ya, dj2becker:

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/authorit.html
  14. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 17:50
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Please actually present some evidence, rather than saying somebody else believed it to be true.
    I agree. Supply some actual evidence. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets tired of all the name dropping, especially when I've never heard of them. You guys keep saying that if I were to honestly examine the "evidence" then I could not help but believe, but continually fail to actually supply this evidence! Stop wasting space.

... --- ...
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 18:051 edit
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    I agree. Supply some actual evidence. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets tired of all the name dropping, especially when I've never heard of them. You guys keep saying that if I were to honestly examine the "evidence" then ...[text shortened]... actually supply this evidence! Stop wasting space.

... --- ...
    Expect a lot of "where is Jesus' body" tripe that has already been endlessly hashed out in other threads. Expect also a bunch of references to the Bible. Expect references to Tacitius and Josephus, although neither said Jesus was resurrected; only that Christians believed he was (Tacitus called such a belief a "pernicious superstition"😉. I think that's about all they've got and we've been all through it; it is not exactly proof "that would stand up in any court of law" as Darfius once claimed. And "The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ has been more carefully examined than the evidence for any other fact of history!" is complete BS unless you call the Bible "the evidence" and consider that because a lot of people have read it they've "carefully examined" this "evidence".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree