1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:21
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I have to finally chime in here and side with jaywill.

He's covered a lot of stuff that reflects my own belief on the subject.
    I am close to Jaywill spiritually. I don't accept three distinct and separate persons in the Godhead, never will. Jaywill doesn't either, so I believe.

The Lord is one.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:23
    An interesting read, RJ.

It covers a few angles I hadn't thought about.
    Could you elaborate - what angles?
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'd like elaboration on this:

Page 2 top - "People are humans. Persons do not have to be humans."

Next post - "This may be a similiar idea, however, in God's case there is order
    verses disorder and there is no mental illness or amnesia since
    each person is completely aware of the others and thus they
    work in harmony.

Woz dat all aboot? 😀 😀

I never saw 2 simple contradictions in closely following posts, or did I miss the plot?? 😕

-m.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:351 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom

each [b]person
    is completely aware of the others and thus they
    work in harmony.

Woz dat all aboot? ...[text shortened]... saw 2 simple contradictions in closely following posts, or did I miss the plot?? 😕

-m.[/b]
    I'm not sure why I'm bothering either tbh.

My 2nd and 3rd persons in my head tell me I'm dealing with a troll anyway.

Edit: But hey the guy is a virtual GM so who am I to argue...
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:41

Can't argue with God, mate. 🙁
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:43
    Can't argue with God, mate. 🙁
    Let's not get carried away, it's just RJHinds. Isn't it...?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:57
    I am close to Jaywill spiritually. I don't accept three distinct and separate persons in the Godhead, never will. Jaywill doesn't either, so I believe.

The Lord is one.
    He said, he believes the three persons of God are distinct, but NOT separate. I agree.

I must say, reading more of your postings since I arrived here, I think of you as having a more fundamentalist bent at heart, and yet you do say some things which are off the beaten path of fundamentalism, like the idea that Trinity is a pagan concept. I'd expect that more from the JWs, actually.
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:58
    Isn't it...?
    Feck nose. 😉
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 23:00
    Like when it compares the concept of God to the concept of Love and how Love can easily have three distinct facets. Interesting, like I said.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 23:01

RJH is a "virtual GM"? What does this mean?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 23:041 edit
    He said, he believes the three persons of God are distinct, but NOT separate. I agree.

I must say, reading more of your postings since I arrived here, I think of you as having a more fundamentalist bent at heart, and yet you do say some things which are off the beaten path of fundamentalism, like the idea that Trinity is a pagan concept. I'd expect that more from the JWs, actually.
    I'm genuinely surprised that so many Christians accept the trinity doctrine; I've never met one who came to that conclusion without being taught it in a denomination. There is stacks of evidence that trinities are pagan in origin, like christmas days of the week, months of the year and other secular icons.

I am a fundamentalist. One day when I have the energy I will mount a campaign to reclaim the word for the faith, a bit like "born again", hijacked and stereotyped to mean something derogatory. The fundamentals of the Christian faith are what we should be contending for - we should all be fundamentalists in the true sense.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 23:05
    RJH is a "virtual GM"? What does this mean?
    grandmaster
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 23:06

each [b]person
    is completely aware of the others and thus they
    work in harmony.

Woz dat all aboot? ...[text shortened]... saw 2 simple contradictions in closely following posts, or did I miss the plot?? 😕

-m.[/b]
    Sounds kinda reasonable to me.

1. "Persons do not have to be humans."

Then,

2. "In God's case there is order verses disorder and there is no mental illness or amnesia since each person is completely aware of the others and thus they
    work in harmony."

Now I'm probably one of the last persons to defend RJH at times, but I see no discrepancy between these two statements. "Each person" in #2 refers to God, which validates #1.

I see no contradiction here.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 23:08
    grandmaster
    ahhhh, of course. Sometimes I forget this is a chess site. 🙂
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 23:32
    I'm genuinely surprised that so many Christians accept the trinity doctrine; I've never met one who came to that conclusion without being taught it in a denomination. There is stacks of evidence that trinities are pagan in origin, like christmas days of the week, months of the year and other secular icons.

I am a fundamentalist. One day when I have ...[text shortened]... h are what we should be contending for - we should all be fundamentalists in the true sense.
    When I first became a Christian, I wondered about this Trinity business also. I must admit, I did not piece it together from my readings. But when I did learn more about it, the more sense it made, given what I had read in numerous spots in the Bible and it did just fall together at that point. I do not claim a denomination, and I was not raised within a denomination. Unfortunately, my walk in Christ has been mainly a solo effort.

And yes, there are stacks of "written documents" ("evidence" seems to be too generous) claiming trinitarianism is pagan in origin, but like jaywill says, I also believe this is because of the insufficiency of human language to describe God. People jump on the whole "three persons" idea and scream "multi-theism". I'm not convinced God can be pigeonholed like that. (For the record, I agree about Christmas, the days and months, and other secular icons, as you say.)

I also admit to being somewhat short-tempered with those who call themselves "fundamentalist". I've used the word in a derogatory manner as well. I admire your desire for Christians to get more "back to basics" (or >gasp< "fundamental" ), but the fact is that "fundamentalists", whether Christian or Islam, are firmly in the American subconscious as being a bad thing. Not without some reason, for in my short experience on this planet, those who call themselves "fundamentalists" are ignorant, ill-mannered, self-important "soldiers for God" who don't care who gets hurt as long as they uphold "God's will", the true understanding of which usually eludes them. They are the people who kill abortion doctors, who disallow their kids to get proper medical attention, who think we should eliminate science from our schools, thus handicapping our kids forever. I know. I understand this is all part of the stereotype, but I've seen it with my own eyes in the media and in the flesh. As a Christian, it's very troubling. Perhaps people like you need to coin a new phrase for what should be a noble cause.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree