1. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '05 22:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Nope I don't but I don't pretend I do. I remain at this time a shaky agnostic willing to look at whatever evidence is presented.
    This isn't evidence, no1, but I'd like to know what you thinkof a scrip ture like this one from Romans chapter 1.

18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
    21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Apr '05 22:55
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Could you elaborate on this? What evidence are you talking about? And why do you think I do not understand it?
    Well everything around you, and I do mean everything around you
    is understood by you? You grasp it all, the seen and unseen, that
    which is known and unknown, and because of your grand
    understanding you can tell there is no creator? It is all evidence.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Apr '05 23:521 edit
    Originally posted by chinking58
    [b/]This isn't evidence, no1, but I'd like to know what you thinkof a scrip ture like this one from Romans chapter 1.

18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the ...[text shortened]... darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools
    [/b]
    I think Paul had a very dim view of human nature that I do not share. I don't think "God's wrath" as been clearly revealed against "wickedness" or anything else. If what can be known about God "invisible qualities" can be known by "what has been made", then I find it far from "plain".

And I think for Paul to criticize others for "claiming to be wise" is hubris. And I think that those who insist that a patched together collections of ancient writing is an inerrant, literal Word of God is pure arrogance masquerading as "wisdom".
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 00:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Well everything around you, and I do mean everything around you
    is understood by you? You grasp it all, the seen and unseen, that
    which is known and unknown, and because of your grand
    understanding you can tell there is no creator? It is all evidence.
    Kelly
    He didn't say 'I know there are no gods'. If he had, your challenge would be appropriate. He actually said this:

Looking at the evidence and using Occam's Razor I decide this is the most likely of stances to be correct.

He made a probabalistic estimate based on his limited knowledge. Therefore your criticism is not appropriate to what he said.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 08:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    He didn't say 'I know there are no gods'. If he had, your challenge would be appropriate. He actually said this:

[b]Looking at the evidence and using Occam's Razor I decide this is the most likely of stances to be correct.

He made a probabalistic estimate based on his limited knowledge. Therefore your criticism is not appropriate to what he said.[/b]
    Also, I was talking specifically about the afterlife, not a belief in god.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 18:31
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

[b]Looking at the evidence and using Occam's Razor I decide this is the most likely of stances to be correct.

He made a probabalistic estimate based on his limited knowledge. Therefore your criticism is not appropriate to what he said.[/b]
    That is true we have nothing but limited knowledge, but even with
    that have you seen a universe created, or one that simply sprang
    from nothing, or one without beginning? What does occur is people
    basically find what they want and attempt to fit the evidence to
    meet their ideas or faith. Just lke someone who hates anothers
    because they are of a different race or color, the hate basically
    colors everything they see to fit what they want to believe.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree