1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 10:52
    Except the one we're in. It can't possibly be true that we aren't in an age. Maybe our current name for the age we're in won't stick, but I bet it will.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 17:41
    Originally posted by JS357
    The point I wanted to make is that all ages, so far, have come to an end.
    Understood. It doesn't make make much sense, an age that never ends. Or does it? Why must all ages end, and what may follow our current scientific age?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 18:191 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    Understood. It doesn't make make much sense, an age that never ends. Or does it? Why must all ages end, and what may follow our current scientific age?
    Some people say we are in a post-modern age, or age of postmodernism.

"Postmodernism is largely a reaction to scientific or objective efforts to explain reality. ...In essence, postmodernism is based on the position that reality is not mirrored in human understanding of it, but is rather constructed as the mind tries to understand its own personal reality....Postmodernism is therefore skeptical of explanations that claim to be valid for all groups, cultures, traditions, or races, and instead focuses on the relative truths of each person or within each paradigm, therefore having a relativistic view on reality." (wikipedia)

But if you look up modernism (which the logical mind thinks would precede postmodernism) you don't get the sense that modernism ia all about science and objectivity. You also find the term "pre-modern"referring to what I would call the age of faith. This would fit with the idea that there is no room for faith in either the modern or post-modern world. Given this, it does seem like science is an element of modernism or vice-versa, but we may be leaving the age of modernism and science.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree