1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 00:17
    Every religion claims they have access to the truth. We live in the scientific age, the time of facts. Examine any religion for facts, and discover how hard they are to come by.

1 Abrahamic religions

1.1 Babism
    1.2 Bahá'í Faith
    1.3 Christianity
    1.3.1 Other groups
    1.4 Druze
    1.5 Gnosticism
    1.6 Islam
    1.7 Judaism
    1.8 Rastafari movement
    1.9 Black Hebrew Israelites
    1.10 Mandaeans and Sabians
    1.11 Samaritanism
    1.12 Shabakism

2 Indian religions

2.1 Ayyavazhi
    2.2 Bhakti movement
    2.3 Buddhism
    2.4 Din-i-Ilahi
    2.5 Hinduism
    2.6 Jainism
    2.7 Meivazhi
    2.8 Sikhism

3 Iranian religions

3.1 Manichaeism
    3.2 Mazdakism
    3.3 Mithraism
    3.4 Yazdânism
    3.5 Zoroastrianism

4 East Asian religions

4.1 Confucianism
    4.2 Shinto
    4.3 Taoism
    4.4 Other

5 African diasporic religions
    6 Indigenous traditional religions

6.1 African
    6.2 American
    6.3 Eurasian
    6.4 Oceania/Pacific
    6.4.1 Cargo cults

7 Historical polytheism

7.1 Ancient Near Eastern
    7.2 Indo-European
    7.3 Hellenistic

8 Mysticism and Occult

8.1 Esotericism and mysticism
    8.2 Occult and magic

9 Neopaganism

9.1 Syncretic
    9.2 Ethnic

10 New religious movements

10.1 Creativity
    10.2 New Thought
    10.3 Shinshukyo

11 Left-hand path religions
    12 Fictional religions
    13 Parody or mock religions
    _______

That's from Wiki, and it's not a complete list. If the gods want us to believe in this way or that way, I bet they can let us know directly. They are all-powerful gods, after all, and not mere figments of our imagination, right?
    _______

My personal belief is that religion shouldn't be automatically rejected just because we like science. Religion can be a powerful and positive force in human behavior, and science doesn't claim to have all the answers.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 00:22
    Originally posted by apathist
    Every religion claims they have access to the truth. We live in the scientific age, the time of facts. Examine any religion for facts, and discover how hard they are to come by.

1 Abrahamic religions

1.1 Babism
    1.2 Bahá'í Faith
    1.3 Christianity
    1.3.1 Other groups
    1.4 Druze
    1.5 Gnosticism
    1.6 Islam
    1.7 Judaism
    1.8 Rastafari movement
    1.9 Black ...[text shortened]... ul and positive force in human behavior, and science doesn't claim to have all the answers.
    I wonder about "We live in the scientific age, the time of facts."
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 01:04
    Originally posted by JS357
    I wonder about "We live in the scientific age, the time of facts."
    Your complete lack of facts or reasons has convinced me.

Or maybe you are slow?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 01:164 edits

Or maybe you are slow?
    JS357 did not present any facts, he merely questioned whether we are living in a so called, 'scientific age'. You see its an assumption to state that we are. To respond the way you have is to have missed the intent of his question, to insult him, was to betray a lack manners on your part.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 01:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    JS357 did not present any facts, he merely questioned whether we are living in a so called, 'scientific age'. You see its an assumption to state that we are. To respond the way you have is to have missed the intent of his question, to insult him, was to betray a lack manners on your part.
    Did he give any evidence, and reason at all, to assume my so-called 'assumption' was incorrect?

I tossed the bones, I read the stars, they say he's wrong. That's valid, right? Bone-tossing is valid, star-reading is valid, right?
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 01:57
    We have robots crawling around the solar system. We crack atoms with multi-billion dollar facilities. We beat most cancers. Exactly when are we supposed to decide we are in a scientific age?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 03:24

1 Abrahamic religions

1.1 Babism
    1.2 Bahá'í Faith
    1.3 Christianity
    1.3.1 Other groups
    1.4 Druze
    1.5 Gnosticism
    1.6 Islam
    1.7 Judaism
    1.8 Rastafari movement
    1.9 Black ...[text shortened]... ul and positive force in human behavior, and science doesn't claim to have all the answers.
    http://www.godsaidmansaid.com/topic3.asp?Cat2=244&ItemID=562
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 04:18
    We have robots crawling around the solar system. We crack atoms with multi-billion dollar facilities. We beat most cancers. Exactly when are we supposed to decide we are in a scientific age?
    http://galatiansfour.blogspot.com/2011/02/knowledge-will-increase-world-gone-mad.html
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 05:48
    According to Kardashev, we have to wait a bit more😵
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 05:49

1 Abrahamic religions

1.1 Babism
    1.2 Bahá'í Faith
    1.3 Christianity
    1.3.1 Other groups
    1.4 Druze
    1.5 Gnosticism
    1.6 Islam
    1.7 Judaism
    1.8 Rastafari movement
    No religion😵
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 11:143 edits
    Did he give any evidence, and reason at all, to assume my so-called 'assumption' was incorrect?

I tossed the bones, I read the stars, they say he's wrong. That's valid, right? Bone-tossing is valid, star-reading is valid, right?
    your post is full of assumptions, for example, the one pointed out by JS357, 'we live in a
    scientific age', who lives in a scientific age, the Indian farmer who ploughs his fields
    with oxen, who grows cabbages and cremates his dead like his forefathers did three
    thousand years ago, in what sense is he living in a scientific age. You have not provided
    any evidence that we, whoever the we are, you have not stated, are living in a so
    called, scientific age or even what it is supposed to mean? One can point out the
    horrendous human cost of the use of technology, over fishing and depleted fishing
    stocks, greed on an unprecedented scale, environmental issues depletion of natural
    forests, unprecedented destructive power in the hands of fiends, landslides, dead
    lakes and in some cases, entire lakes disappearing, all the benefits of living in a so
    called scientific age. It appears incredible to me, that those who cite scientific
    advancement fail to also cite its detrimental side, the problems we are facing are
    spiritual in nature, greed, corruption, meism, all ignored by the spiritually myopic,
    blinded by the God of science.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 11:161 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    No religion😵
    Holy blade of grass, you know its true!😵
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 12:17
    Is that because he left the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society out?
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 13:50
    posted by apathist

Or maybe you are slow?
    I'm not alone:

quote:

Experts say the “low hanging fruit” of scientific knowledge, such as the laws of motion and gravity, was attained using simple methods in previous centuries, leaving only increasingly impenetrable problems for modern scientists to solve.

Uncharted areas of science are now so complex that even the greatest minds will struggle to advance human understanding of the world, they claim.

In addition, the remaining problems are becoming so far removed from our natural sensory range that they require increasingly powerful machines, such as the Large Hadron Collider, even to approach them.

Russell Stannard, professor emeritus of physics at the Open University, argues that although existing scientific knowledge will continue to be applied in news ways, "the gaining of knowledge about fundamental laws of nature and the constituents of the world, that must come to an end”.

He said: “We live in a scientific age and that’s a period that’s going to come to an end at some stage. Not when we’ve discovered everything about the world but when we’ve discovered everything that’s open to us to understand.”

In his new book The End of Discovery, which is released on Thursday, Professor Stannard argues that it is impractical to go on building ever larger and more powerful machines to keep seeking new breakthroughs. M-Theory – Stephen Hawking’s preferred explanation of the content of the universe – could not be tested without a particle accelerator the size of a galaxy.

His views are shared by George Johnson, a US science author whose most recent book, The 10 Most Beautiful Experiments, documents the groundbreaking discoveries that were once made using the simplest methods.

The book describes how Galileo discovered the laws of motion by rolling marbles down a plank and Isaac Newton used prisms to grasp the nature of colour.

“I felt a need to get back to basics, to the time when one person with one mind and one pair of hands could design an apparatus that would pose a question to nature and then receive a crisp, unambiguous answer,” he told the Today Programme on BBC Radio 4.

But he believes that such fundamental discoveries are moving ever further out of reach because it is impossible to probe the remaining mysteries of the universe without assembling a vast team and having access to increasingly complex technology.

Not all experts agree that the sun is setting on the age of scientific discovery. Lord Rees, president of the Royal Society, believes that there are still big questions to be asked about the content of the universe, human genetics and how life began on earth.

“All these things depend on more data and they are also helped a lot by computers,” he told the programme. “But I think there may be some aspects of reality we can’t understand or some questions we can’t pose.

“Just as a monkey doesn’t worry about how it evolved whereas we understand Darwinism, there may be a problem which we haven’t been able to conceive.

“So I agree with Russell to the extent that there may be some aspects of reality that are beyond human brains, but maybe computers can help”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8020211/Is-the-age-of-scientific-discovery-ending.html
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 14:03
    Nothing Holy😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree