1. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 13:051 edit
    or a forum for Christian propaganda, this forum is full of Christians stating the so called truth of their faith,stop it!
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 13:431 edit
    Originally posted by Serendipity
    or a forum for Christian propaganda, this forum is full of Christians stating the so called truth of their faith,stop it!
    I take it you are not one of those, I may not agree with what you
    say, but I defend your right to say it kind of people, uh?
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 13:49
    There are many different forms of spirituality. Christianity is one of the predominant beliefs, especially in the English-speaking world. Many of them feel it's their duty to witness to others. What entertainment would this forum offer otherwise?
  4. London
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 14:40
    Originally posted by David C
    There are many different forms of spirituality. Christianity is one of the predominant beliefs, especially in the English-speaking world. Many of them feel it's their duty to witness to others. What entertainment would this forum offer otherwise?
    Atheists who feel it's their duty to witness to others?
  5. Upstate NY
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 14:47
    It was my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the "Spirituality" forum was a place for people to ask and debate the real penetrating questions concerning life's ultimate purpose (if any), the existence of God, etc. and theological/existential implications of such. It follows, then, does it not, that, the internet being an otherwise pluralistic environment, such a forum may be treated as a place to express one's position which may then be subject to examination?

I realize that hostility on both sides is possible, but I hope I can speak for everyone that we would like to generate more "light" than "heat." Granted such issues are emotionally affecting, but if a Hindu, Muslim, Atheist, Buddhist or Christian wishes to state their position clearly, especially when one's profession carries with it a desire for answers to the tough questions of life, is it not our duty in the name of tolerance to allow them to voice it?

Warm regards,
    R
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 14:55
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Atheists who feel it's their duty to witness to others?
    Most of the free-thinkers here are merely responding to the witness of the witless (I'll exclude myself, because I fit your stereotype). There's some interesting philisophical debate every now and then. Should all the atheists and agnostics stop posting leave you to your own devices? It would become one great, big circle jerk of the circular. Where's the fun in that?
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 15:04
    The title of the forum is "Spirituality"

I don't see it say "All Spirituality except that of Christians"

You can still debate. You are not strapped in a pew and forced to passively listen.

You can heckle, make wise cracks, debate, examine ideas, challenge statements, even turn the conversation to a whole new direction.

So we're here. Get use to it.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 15:09
    Originally posted by Ristar
    It was my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the "Spirituality" forum was a place for people to ask and debate the real penetrating questions concerning life's ultimate purpose (if any), the existence of God, etc. and theological/existential implications of such. It follows, then, does it not, that, the internet being an otherwise pluralisti ...[text shortened]... t not our duty in the name of tolerance to allow them to voice it?

Warm regards,
    R
    You well rite some. You muss be a satanust. JESUS luvs you. 😉
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 15:11
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The title of the forum is [b]"Spirituality"

I don't see it say "All Spirituality except that of Christians"

You can still debate. You are not strapped in a pew and forced to passively listen.

You can heckle, make wise cracks, debate, examine ideas, challenge statements, even turn the conversation to a whole new direction.

So we're here. Get use to it.[/b]
    AMEN. stand up two the pursikooshun.
  10. London
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 15:141 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    I always find it amusing when so-called defenders of Reason resort to such cheap shots.
  11. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 15:16
    I always find it amusing when so-called defenders of Reason resort to such cheap shots.
    Ah but what reason? A metaphysical reason of logocentrism?
  12. London
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 15:37
    Ah but what reason? A metaphysical reason of logocentrism?
    I'm not sure Derrida identified logocentrism in the ambit of classical metaphysics.
  13. Upstate NY
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 15:391 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    Thank you and yes He does. 😉

I hope I did not express myself badly. I just wanted to clarify my stance.

For the record, I am a follower of Christ (I somewhat dislike the term "Christian" myself even though I am not completely averse to using it). I make no apologies for my faith (which is not antithetical to reason) or the person of Christ, whom I defend rather than Christianity (which has often been perniciously politicized). At the same time, I find that whether one believes in a transcendant first cause or no, one's worldview is akin to the life preserver that one desperately clings to when the storms of life buffet.

In desperate times, which come even to quiet suburbanites, what holds you up? What ultimately comforts you when you cry yourself to sleep? Passionate indulgence only gives transient surcease of sorrow. Ultimately it is one's worldview that must give ultimate meaning, and all human beings, studied or unstudied in philosophy, hold a view (right or wrong) which they expect to conform to reality as they understand it.

In view of this, I hope that we'll see that to trample upon the human heart, i.e. to make them live in fear of expressing their most heartfelt beliefs must not be countenanced.

Hope my verbosity has not offended. Just wanted to be clear.

Truly warm regards,
    R
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 15:41
    I undurstand why you are rood I am savd and you a catholick. you wurshup mary she cant save you frum yur sins.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 15:43
    Originally posted by Ristar
    Thank you and yes He does. 😉

I hope I did not express myself badly. I just wanted to clarify my stance.

For the record, I am a follower of Christ (I somewhat dislike the term "Christian" myself even though I am not completely averse to using it). I make no apologies for my faith (which is not antithetical to reason) or the person of Christ, whom I d ...[text shortened]...

Hope my verbosity has not offended. Just wanted to be clear.

Truly warm regards,
    R
    win did vistesd becum savd .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree