1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 00:00
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Why is this the preferable state, given the amount of lives which are stake?
    I 'ld rather burn than disappear😵
  2. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 00:44
    FreakyKBH,
    Are you asking for only a human reasoning answer that has nothing to do with God? If you are asking what does God say about it, then you can read about it. If you want a purely human reasoning answer, then it no longer becomes moral does it? The only thing that matters then, is will some human group hold you accountable.

The problem exists, however, in that God will judge man individually. Even if a human group does not hold a person or few people accountable, God will judge on His own holiness.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 01:03
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    FreakyKBH,
    Are you asking for only a human reasoning answer that has nothing to do with God? If you are asking what does God say about it, then you can read about it. If you want a purely human reasoning answer, then it no longer becomes moral does it? The only thing that matters then, is will some human group hold you accountable.

The problem exi ...[text shortened]... uman group does not hold a person or few people accountable, God will judge on His own holiness.
    Was there an answer in there, somewhere?
  4. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 02:44
    Freaky,
    Seek God's opinion about killing a human and not man's opinion about his own kind.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 03:20
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    It's a miracle. Sometimes your jokes actually work. 🙂
    Whose joking? 😠
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 15:28
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Freaky,
    Seek God's opinion about killing a human and not man's opinion about his own kind.
    Not sure if you know how this thing works there, buddy.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 07:01
    In another twist to the story, it turns out that that people hiding are in fact bank robbers, and the people chasing them the police.
    If the baby cries, the bank robbers will live the rest of their live in Jail and suffering, whereas if they escape they will live lives of freedom, happiness and wealth.
    Is it good to kill the baby?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 16:30
    In the OP scenario, you object to the baby being killed, but another in your party wishes to kill the baby. Is it good to kill this other party member in order to save the babys life?
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 17:154 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The two in OP.
    I think it is clear that there can be cases in which the right course of action is intentionally killing, say, an otherwise healthy infant (with some caveat as hinted below). Your opening hypothetically surely ain't one of them, though. But others here in this thread are trying to put forth better ones.

A typical setup (highly contrived, but...) I have seen in moral dilemma essays is that of a runaway trolley car. There is a site below that gives some background on such dilemmas. Throw an infant in there someone and season the dilemma description to taste; I'm sure you will end up with something better than your original hypothetical offering.

However, I still think it will be difficult for you to show that the intentional killing of the infant (in which such killing is per se the primary or main intention of the agent) is called for. Check out, for example, the Doctrine of Double-Effect. You seem extraordinarily sloppy in how you treat intentionality in these dilemmas, which is very unfortunate since your initial opening question seems to deal materially with intentionality.

http://rintintin.colorado.edu/~vancecd/phil1000/Trolley.pdf

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/double-effect/
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 23:55
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I think it is clear that there can be cases in which the right course of action is intentionally killing, say, an otherwise healthy infant (with some caveat as hinted below). Your opening hypothetically surely ain't one of them, though. But others here in this thread are trying to put forth better ones.

A typical setup (highly contrived, but...) I ha ...[text shortened]... n.colorado.edu/~vancecd/phil1000/Trolley.pdf

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/double-effect/
    Great answer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree