1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 12:45
    Is it ever a good thing to knowingly, purposely cause the death of a viable, healthy six-month old infant?

Is it ever a moral thing?

Seven people have been on the run from a band of Nazi soldiers, intent on hunting them down and killing four within the group.
    The four in question are responsible for the construction and ongoing maintenance of relaying vital information to the Allies from inside the German interior.
    Two men, two women, with the each of the men married to either woman.
    The other three are the children of the second couple: two adolescents and one six-month old infant.
    After some cat-and-mouse chasing, the Nazi's have unknowingly trapped the seven in the basement of a house they have temporarily appropriated, which necessitates the absolute silence on the part of the seven.
    Any sound from the basement will surely initiate a search by the soldiers, which would guarantee the death of all seven people.

The baby starts to cry.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 13:01
    Before making my decision, I need to know, is the baby a conservative or liberal? 😛
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 13:48
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Is it ever a good thing to knowingly, purposely cause the death of a viable, healthy six-month old infant?

Seven people have been on the run from a band of Nazi soldiers, intent on hunting them down and killing four within the group.
    The four in question are responsible for the construction and ongoing maintenance of relayi ...[text shortened]... by the soldiers, which would guarantee the death of all seven people.

The baby starts to cry.
    For an answer, watch the final episode of MASH.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 14:13
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    For an answer, watch the final episode of MASH.
    Don't be a chicken: answer the dilemma.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 14:20

The four in question are responsible for the construction and ongoing maintenance of relayi ...[text shortened]... by the soldiers, which would guarantee the death of all seven people.

The baby starts to cry.
    What if the baby was going to grow up and find a cure for Alzheimer's and or cancers?
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 14:34
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    What if the baby was going to grow up and find a cure for Alzheimer's and or cancers?
    Can't do that if she cries, causing the Nazi's to find/kill the entire group, can she?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 15:06
    Morality questions where the death of one individual may save the lives of other individuals are always tricky. I think that one must handle such cases on a case by case basis.
    I am not sure about morally good, but morally excusable? Maybe. If someones actions have a significant chance of causing my imminent death I think it is morally excusable for me to kill them. Whether I would do so or not is another matter - and I think I would have to be faced with the situation to find out.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 15:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Morality questions where the death of one individual may save the lives of other individuals are always tricky. I think that one must handle such cases on a case by case basis.
    I am not sure about morally good, but morally excusable? Maybe. If someones actions have a significant chance of causing my imminent death I think it is morally excusable for me t ...[text shortened]... or not is another matter - and I think I would have to be faced with the situation to find out.
    You're the father of the six month infant here.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 15:29
    Originally posted by whodey
    Before making my decision, I need to know, is the baby a conservative or liberal? 😛
    It's a miracle. Sometimes your jokes actually work. 🙂
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 15:32
    Don't be a chicken: answer the dilemma.
    Actually, you asked two questions in your OP, to which the answer in both cases is clearly yes.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 15:32

The baby starts to cry.
    Legend is that Native American women used to cover the mouths of their infants to avoid detection. Those men were able to endure great pain without making a sound later.

Whether this is true, or just wishful thinking on the part of frustrated parents of infants, the point remains that you try every other viable option before resorting to killing.

I'm not going to say that it can never be justified, because, as twhitehead said, every case must be evaluated individually. I am not comfortable imposing hard and fast rules on people in difficult situations like this.
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 15:51
    I'd have to give it some more thought, but it's difficult to see how being the father of the infant makes any difference to whether it's the morally correct course of action.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 16:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am not sure about morally good, but morally excusable? Maybe. If someones actions have a significant chance of causing my imminent death I think it is morally excusable for me t ...[text shortened]... or not is another matter - and I think I would have to be faced with the situation to find out.
    Just like Jesus death.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 16:10
    One factor that might play a role here is whether or not you consider a six month old a full human being. In some cultures with high infant mortality, children are not named before their first birthday in an effort to reduce the morning should the infant die. Whether such cultures consider it less of a crime to kill a child prior to naming it I am not sure. I know many modern societies consider a child a human from the moment of birth and disagree about its status prior to birth.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 16:14
    An interesting twist to moral situations like this is to look at how your decision changes depending on who does the killing.
    Suppose the baby was left out in the open. You are given a choice, leave the baby there and the Nazi's will kill it when they find it, but not harm you and your companions. Or go out and claim ownership of the baby, in which case the Nazi's will kill you and your companions but not harm the Baby. Does your decision change now that it is the Nazi's that kill the Baby not you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree