1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 19:29
    I was lying in bed drooling over my Johnny Depp poster when a thought suddenly came to me...

Isn't it amazing that a being so powerful that he created the WHOLE WIDE UNIVERSE, so omni-present that he's ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE, so great that everything he's done is sacred and so all knowing that he knew what was going to happen before he even started it would be worried about gay marriage?

I mean out of all the billions of life-forms in the universe, the billions of planets and the millions of life-forms on earth...he has a problem with two men marrying each other?

Isn't that just a little bit nit-picky for one so great?
    Is it just me, or does he have his priorities wrong? Shouldn't he be off stopping whole civilisations being sucked into black holes or something?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 19:46
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I was lying in bed drooling over my Johnny Depp poster when a thought suddenly came to me...

Isn't it amazing that a being so powerful that he created the WHOLE WIDE UNIVERSE, so omni-present that he's ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE, so great that everything he's done is sacred and so all knowing that he knew what was going to happen before he even started it ...[text shortened]... g? Shouldn't he be off stopping whole civilisations being sucked into black holes or something?
    Johnny Depp did all this? Sure, he's cute and all...

P
  3. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 20:07

Both rather surprising admissions. 😉

Isn't it amazing that a being so powerful that he created the WHOLE WIDE UNIVERSE, so omni-present that he's ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE, so great that everything he's done is sacred and so all knowing that he knew what was going to happen before he even started it would be worried about gay marriage?

No. If everyone were gay, we'd go extinct. I find that something to worry about.

I mean out of all the billions of life-forms in the universe, the billions of planets and the millions of life-forms on earth...he has a problem with two men marrying each other?

Billions of life-forms in the universe? Uhhhh. Maybe you were staring a bit too hard at Depp and fell into a fantasy world. We're the only life in this universe, kiddo, sorry to disappoint. Unless of course you have proof of your assertion??? And yes, He has a problem with that, and rightly so. Extinction.

I don't think you graps how huge a problem extinction would be. I mean, we'd all be dead.

Is it just me, or does he have his priorities wrong? Shouldn't he be off stopping whole civilisations being sucked into black holes or something?

It's just you. All sin is atrocious to Him, He hates thievery as much as homosexuality. Again, what "whole civilizations" are you talking about? If you mean ours, I think He's been doing a great job of that.
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 20:431 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    [b]I was lying in bed drooling over my Johnny Depp poster when a thought suddenly came to me...

Isn't it amazing that a being so powerful that he created the WHOLE WIDE UNIVERSE, so omni-p ...[text shortened]... f you mean ours, I think He's been doing a great job of that.[/b]
    Funny, just thought of the following when reading your reply.

I don't think you graps how huge a problem extinction would be. I mean, we'd all be dead.

Once each of us is gone it won't really matter that much what everyone else gets upto.
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 20:44
    No. If everyone were gay, we'd go extinct. I find that something to worry about.

Are you serious? You think that homosexuality would become the
    dominant form of sexuality over heterosexuality?

So what? If there were a mass extinction (say a meteor slammed
    into the earth and caused it to float into the sun), would the Christians
    all go to heaven and the heretics all go to hell, just like any other
    time? How is this different than the Second Coming?

It's just you. All sin is atrocious to Him, He hates thievery as much as homosexuality. Again, what "whole civilizations" are you talking about? If you mean ours, I think He's been doing a great job of that.

I think that Shav's argument is that he finds it non-credible to believe
    that God would consider homosexuality a sin in the first place. He
    rejects your axiomatic acceptance of the Bible as literally God's Word
    and, as such, rejects the consequent premise that homosexuality is a
    sin.

Why do you think God cares whether the occasional pair of men or
    women share an intimate and loving relationship with each other? Do
    you believe that two men or women are unable to find God in their
    relationship?

Nemesio
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 22:41
    Billions of life-forms in the universe? Uhhhh. Maybe you were staring a bit too hard at Depp and fell into a fantasy world. We're the only life in this universe, kiddo, sorry to disappoint. Unless of course you have proof of your assertion??? And yes, He has a problem with that, and rightly so. Extinction.
    What's wrong with extinction?

You do know that every second you live you are nearing your own extinction and that every second EVERYONE lives the earth spins ever closer to the sun, don't you?
    It really isn't a matter of "if", but more a matter of "When."

Dodo's became extinct because of humans (introducing non-native animals). Surely even the irony doesn't escape you.

As for us being the only life forms in the universe....mhmmmm....
    What are the chances of that then?
    Besides, it will only be a few more years and they'll have microbes (or whatever) from Mars and that moon around Saturn (or wherever). Get used to the fact, it is nearly PROVEN there is life outside of earth!

7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 23:08
    What's wrong with extinction?

You do know that every second you live you are nearing your own extinction and that every second EVERYONE lives the earth spins ever closer to the sun, don't you?
    It really isn't a matter of "if", but more a matter of "When."

Dodo's became extinct because of humans (introducing non-native animals). Surely even t ...[text shortened]... urn (or wherever). Get used to the fact, it is nearly PROVEN there is life outside of earth!

I find if very conceited for someone to think we are the only life in the whole entire vast limitless infinite universe.

If it is true we are... and God is behind all this... I will have to call God a slacker.

P
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 06:58
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I find if very conceited for someone to think we are the only life in the whole entire vast limitless infinite universe.

If it is true we are... and God is behind all this... I will have to call God a slacker.

P
    He would be a bit pathetic, wouldn't he?

Probably just couldn't cope with intergalactic gayness or something...
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 07:07
    Probably just couldn't cope with intergalactic gayness or something...
    You know it is morally impermissible to have conjugals with the
    Trochiads of Gorbuli XVI, whether they male, female, hydromale,
    or spasmofemale.

You heathen 😛

Nemesio
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 07:251 edit

Isn't it amazing that a being so powerful that he created the WHOLE WIDE UNIVERSE, so omni-pres ...[text shortened]... ? If you mean ours, I think He's been doing a great job of that.
    There are billions of us. We're life forms. Right?

The idea that homosexuality would ever end reproduction is a laugh. You really think males are so much more attractive than females that you would never have sex with women again if God gave you the choice? Not all of us men feel that way, Darfius.
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 07:26
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

P
    The stars were created for signs, nothing more, nothing less.

And are you aware of how unique Jupiter is? All other gas giants are found much closer to their star. If Jupiter were closer, we would have been flung out into space. Instead, Jupiter protects us from catastrophic impacts every 10k years.

12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 08:211 edit
    The stars were created for signs, nothing more, nothing less.

And are you aware of how unique Jupiter is? All other gas giants are found much closer to their star. If Jupiter were closer, we would have been flung out into space. Ins ...[text shortened]... piter protects us from catastrophic impacts every 10k years.

Add astronomy to the things you don't know jack about; the gas giant planets that have been discovered in other solar systems are closer to their star because it makes them easier to find as they make a more pronounced effect on the star (in fact, I don't believe one has ever been seen; they can tell they exist by observing the gravitional effects on the star). It's highly doubtful that Jupiter is unique; the odds against that are astron ...... well, you figure it out.
    And "Jupiter protects us from catastrophic impacts every 10k years" ??? Two questions: catastrophic impacts of what (Jupiter's nowhere near us; 600 million miles away if memory serves) AND I thought you boys didn't believe we had been around for 10k years?

EDIT: 5.2 AU or about 485 million miles from the Sun or 400 million miles from us.

13. Graceland.
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 10:38

I'm trying to picture this. A dude lying on his bed, getting high staring a JDepp and thinking about the Great God Pokka, the Red Sphere in the sky that doesn't like Bananas !

Dude, you don't believe in God, you're not even an agnostic. Why would you possibly give a pile about what something you don't even believe in likes or dislikes ?

14. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 10:46

[/b]
    But Darfius my friend. In many of your posts you have told us how much better off we would be by being dead. We'd be with your god! Afterall, you have told me heaps of times that the Midianite kiddies were far better off being slaughtered in the name of your god than being left alive.

15. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    15 Mar '05 11:37
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Add astronomy to the things you don't know jack about; the gas giant planets that have been discovered in other solar systems are closer to their star because it makes them easier to find as they make a more pronounced effect on the star (in fact, I don't believe one has ever been seen; they can tell they exist by observing the gravitional effe ...[text shortened]... ars?

EDIT: 5.2 AU or about 485 million miles from the Sun or 400 million miles from us.

I must be bored to be posting here... Anyway,

No1 is correct - we have discovered gas giants close to their suns, because those are the only ones we can easily discover. Quite likely that MOST gas giants are not close, as the graivty of the star would have scooped up most of the available material nearer to the star, leaving not much to make a planet out of.

And the argument by Darfius that IF jupiter were in a different place we would not be here, is self evidently true. If we were NOT here, because Jupiter was not where it is, we would not be here to be having this conversation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree