1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 12:21
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, let us pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

[b]Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.

(Psalm 122:6 KJV)[/b]
    I know Jerusalem and Israel pretty well, having lived there for 4 years and one son graduate from HS there. The problem with the Israeli government is they are doing two bad things: 1 is keeping 99% of the water from the Jordan river for their own agriculture and leaving the dregs for Gaza and when I say dregs I mean exactly that, the water is unfit for cultivation much less drinking, it is downright toxic. As a result, there was a US led initiative (cost, 50 million US) to build Red Sea evaporative water reclamation plants to help supply water to Gaza.

Not many people know about the water problem.

The second is the blatant takeover of Palestinian lands to build Jewish communities there, just come in with bull dozers and knock down any existing Palestinian structure and build their own, not just one or two here and there but whole villages, hundreds of home scattered on these barren hillsides.

Exactly how is that going to inculcate peace and security in the region?

Don't get me wrong, I am no antisemitic frothing at the mouth bastard, literally some of my best friends, life long friends, we met in Israel and l loved my time there but this is the direct result of the actions of the Israeli government and not some aspect of Judaism.

These actions are strictly political and you can't blame the Palestinians for being suspicious of any peace talks while such building is going on right in land set aside for Palestinians, much like the Indian reservations in the US.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 20:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I know Jerusalem and Israel pretty well, having lived there for 4 years and one son graduate from HS there. The problem with the Israeli government is they are doing two bad things: 1 is keeping 99% of the water from the Jordan river for their own agriculture and leaving the dregs for Gaza and when I say dregs I mean exactly that, the water is unfit for cul ...[text shortened]... going on right in land set aside for Palestinians, much like the Indian reservations in the US.
    Only two bad things? Maybe you should read up on the history of what happened long before you lived there before you criticize the Israeli goverment for two bad things. After world war two, it was the British government that had control of this area. Start there.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 03:09
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    [quote]Israel is angered by the boycott calls, and alarmed at the movement's momentum. The prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, recently launched an attack on Europe and its dark history. "I think the most eerie thing, the most disgraceful thing, is to have people on the soil of Europe talking about the boycott of Jews. In the past, antisemites boycotted Je ...[text shortened]... looking at what could be the beginning of Kristallnacht all over again but on a different level?
    75% of Israelis are Jewish and 40% of those are secular Jews.

That leaves 45% practising Jews ... in other words a minority.

Sanctions will be against the Israeli state not any religion!
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 05:20
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    75% of Israelis are Jewish and 40% of those are secular Jews.

That leaves 45% practising Jews ... in other words a minority.

Sanctions will be against the Israeli state not any religion!
    The sanctions have always been against the Jewish people as a race, so that is nothing new.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 07:53
    Only two bad things? Maybe you should read up on the history of what happened long before you lived there before you criticize the Israeli goverment for two bad things. After world war two, it was the British government that had control of this area. Start there.
    I know all about the history, I was talking about post 1948. The Israeli's forced Jordanians and Palestinians out of their homes, just kicked them out in 48 and moved in. Two of the places we lived in contained houses that originally belonged to Palestinians.

Most of the atrocities of the 19th century were against Jews, whole villages slaughtered and such.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 16:50
    I know all about the history, I was talking about post 1948. The Israeli's forced Jordanians and Palestinians out of their homes, just kicked them out in 48 and moved in. Two of the places we lived in contained houses that originally belonged to Palestinians.

Most of the atrocities of the 19th century were against Jews, whole villages slaughtered and such.
    Maybe they were not paying there rent and taxes to the Israeli government.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 17:05
    Maybe they were not paying there rent and taxes to the Israeli government.
    Er, it was the spoils of war, not rent. In 1948, most of the countries surrounding the nascent Israel attacked and were beaten back. I think it was the backlash of those attacks that caused Israeli's to react the way they did, kicking out Palestinians and Jordanians out of their houses and taking them over.

I would have felt weird moving in to a former Palestinian house 3 hours after they vacated.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 03:16
    Er, it was the spoils of war, not rent. In 1948, most of the countries surrounding the nascent Israel attacked and were beaten back. I think it was the backlash of those attacks that caused Israeli's to react the way they did, kicking out Palestinians and Jordanians out of their houses and taking them over.

I would have felt weird moving in to a former Palestinian house 3 hours after they vacated.
    Okay, I was just joking. It is true that the British gained the land as a result of war and gave some of it to the Arabs and they also promised some of the land to the Jews. They eventually turned the decision of dividing the land over to the United Nations. All the Arabs had to do was accept the United Nation Partition plan like the Jews had and there could have been peace. But they rejected the plan and stated they would never accept a Jewish state there. It seems it has been that way ever since.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 17:411 edit
    Okay, I was just joking. It is true that the British gained the land as a result of war and gave some of it to the Arabs and they also promised some of the land to the Jews. They eventually turned the decision of dividing the land over to the United Nations. All the Arabs had to do was accept the United Nation Partition plan like the Jews had and there cou ...[text shortened]... stated they would never accept a Jewish state there. It seems it has been that way ever since.
    And it seems, will be that way till the last Arab, Jordanian, Palestinian, whatever, and the last Jew there dies.

How can Israel have peace with the Palestinians when it is in their constitution they want to destroy the state of Israel?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 01:112 edits
    And it seems, will be that way till the last Arab, Jordanian, Palestinian, whatever, and the last Jew there dies.

How can Israel have peace with the Palestinians when it is in their constitution they want to destroy the state of Israel?
    The Jordanians were already given their land. Below is important points in the history:

The original problem goes back to 1922. Palestine had been a small part of the Turkish Ottoman Empire. But in World War I the British and French defeated Germany and the Ottoman Empire and stripped them of their colonies. Thus the League of Nations had to decide what nations should become sovereign in Palestine and the rest of the vast lands lost by the Turks. The League awarded more than 90% of these lands to Arab states, with Britain and France as temporary trustees.

The British government, following the policy it had announced 5 years earlier in the Balfour Declaration, urged that Palestine be set aside as the site for a homeland for the Jewish people. They added that while the Arabs had a number of countries, with millions of square miles, the Jews suffered from having no homeland at all. Also the small numbers of Jews who had come to Palestine in previous decades had begun to build up the country – attracting many Arabs from neighboring countries – and that the Jews could be expected to provide economic development and a lawful society which would help the development of the whole region.

The League of Nations ruled that Great Britain should become the Mandatory government of Palestine to provide for Jewish settlement of the land so that it could again become the site of a Jewish homeland.

The Arab countries and the local Arab residents did not accept the decision of the League of Nations – although they did not deny the authority of the League from which they had received so much benefit. Concerning Palestine the Arabs have never accepted any international decision. Nor have they been willing to negotiate or to accept any division or compromise. From the beginning their position has been that this is all “Arab land” or “Palestinian land” and they have refused to negotiate or to recognize any ruling to the contrary. (As part of the Oslo process they said that they were willing to make a compromise, but when negotiations came to a head at Camp David in 2000 they refused to make any counter-offers and instead began the current terror offensive three months later.)

Whether or not the League of Nations was wrong to decide that Palestine should become a Jewish homeland, the effect of that decision is that the hundreds of thousands of Jews who came to Palestine from the creation of the Mandate in 1922 until the birth of the State of Israel in 1948 came pursuant to the international law that existed at the time. They came not as colonials, and not to take land away from another people, but to fulfill the decision of the League of Nations that Jews should be encouraged to settle in Palestine. And they bought the land on which they settled. The Arabs who fought against the Jewish settlers and refugees may have thought of themselves as protecting their own country from invaders, but according to international law it wasn’t their country (and it never had been in the past) and they were fighting against the existing law.

In 1945 after the end of World War II great pressure was put on Britain to allow the Jewish survivors of the holocaust to come to Palestine, but because of their political interests the British continued to obey the Arab demand to exclude the Jews despite the provisions of the Mandate. The Palestinian Jews began a guerrilla war against the British government and by 1947 the British decided that they would give up their Mandate and go home. To deal with the potential vacuum of authority the UN General Assembly recommended that Western Palestine be divided into two new states, one Jewish and one Arab, with Jerusalem to be an international territory for ten years. (Eastern Palestine had earlier been separated and given to King Abdullah to become Jordan.)

Palestine had been established as a Jewish homeland by the League of Nations a generation earlier. After the Holocaust the UN suggested a smaller territory for the survivors of the Holocaust and for the Jewish people than had been set by the League. And Israel actually got only the land its forces succeeded in holding in the fighting against the Arab armies.

The Jewish community in Palestine accepted the UN recommendation to divide Palestine and declared the State of Israel and its willingness to give its Arab inhabitants equal rights and to live in peace with its Arab neighbors. But from its first day Israel had to fight to exist. It was under attack by Arab armies who took whatever land they could, regardless of the UN partition recommendation, and killed or removed all Jews from whatever land they occupied.

The fighting continued, off and on, for over a year until the UN finally succeeded in negotiating an armistice along the lines the forces held when the fighting stopped. These borders lasted from 1949 until 1967 and are called the ’67 borders. The Armistice left Western Palestine divided into three pieces: Israel, the Gaza strip, which is a small piece of land along the Mediterranean shore which was occupied by the Egyptian army but not incorporated into Egypt, and “the West Bank,” the part of the Mandate territory between Israel and the West of the Jordan River, which was occupied by Jordan. Jordan tried to incorporate the West Bank into Jordan – changing its own name from Transjordan, but none of the Arab countries recognized the area as part of Jordan. The only countries which recognized Jordan’s claim were Britain and Pakistan, and later Jordan gave up its claim.

During the 1948-9 war, between Israel and the Arab states which attacked Israel, about 600,000 Arabs who had been living in the area which became Israel left their homes for neighboring Arab countries. Some were forced to leave by the Israeli army, but the majority left to avoid the fighting and because they were urged or even forced to do so by the Arab governments and their own leaders, despite the fact that many were urged by their Jewish neighbors to remain and live in peace in Israel. These 600,000 were the start of “the Arab refugee problem.”

The Arab countries, with a population of over 50 million and an area bigger than the U.S., refused to accept any Arab refugees, even though they spoke the same language, shared the same culture, and practiced the same religion.

In the Spring of 1967 the Arab countries, led by Gamal Abdul Nasser of Egypt, prepared to attack Israel and, in their own words, “throw the Jews into the sea.” The UN forces stationed between Egypt and Israel in the Sinai desert obeyed Nasser’s demand to get out of his way, and the Egyptian military moved into the Sinai toward Israel. Egypt closed the Tiran Straits to ships going to or from Israel, refusing all diplomatic efforts by the US to fulfill the US commitment to Israel to keep its sea lanes open.

Before the Egyptian attack was launched Israel preempted with air attacks that destroyed most of the Egyptian air force, and with armored attacks into the Sinai. At the same time Israel notified the King of Jordan that Israel would not attack the territory he occupied and urged him to maintain peace with Israel. Jordan, however, yielded to Arab pressure and joined the attack against Israel sending its army against Jewish Jerusalem.

The result was that in six days Israel’s armies threw Egypt out of Gaza and the Sinai, threw Jordan out of Jerusalem and the West Bank, and threw Syria out of the Golan Heights, from which they had been shooting at Israel from time to time since 1949, and very heavily during the six-day war, thus the area controlled by Israel was more than tripled.

The UN Security Council effort to resolve the war resulted in UNSC Resolution 242. To this day the Palestinians and all the Arab countries insist that UNSC Res. 242 requires that Israel get out of all the territories acquired in 1967, just as they continue to insist that the League of Nations Mandate to create a Jewish homeland in Palestine was invalid. But Lord Caradon of England, and Eugene Rostow of the U.S., two of the principal diplomats responsible for negotiating the Resolution, and most independent international legal experts, have written that Res 242 was not intended to, and does not, require Israel to return to the ’67 borders. Such a requirement would be inconsistent with the phrase “secure and recognized” borders, both because those borders are not secure and because no description of the borders would be needed if the Resolution were referring to the preexisting borders.

After the Security Council passed Res. 242 the Arab countries met at Khartoum and issued their famous “three noes:” no negotiations, no recognition, and no peace. But ten years later, in 1977, President Sadat of Egypt, after being secretly assured by Israel that it was willing to return the Sinai to Egypt, came to Israel and proposed that Egypt and Israel make peace with each other. The following year in negotiations at Camp David a peace treaty was negotiated and Israel returned the entire Sinai to Egypt, and Egypt became the first Arab state to recognize Israel and to comply with Res. 242.

The Palestinian demand that Israel restore the ’67 borders would require that more than half a million people give up their homes and the neighborhoods and schools and synagogues they have built and lived in, on formerly empty land, most of them for more than 20 years, including more than half the Jewish population of Jerusalem.

At the end of September 2000 after rejecting the proposal by Israel and the US to create a Palestinian state on more than 95% of the West Bank and Gaza plus the part of Jerusalem where Arabs now live, the Palestinians started a campaign of murder and terror against Israel.

To prevent terrorism Israel at various times prevented Palestinians from moving from one town to another, or established check points on roads that had been used to attack Israelis, or prevented Palestinians from comin...
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 01:14
    Continuation:

To prevent terrorism Israel at various times prevented Palestinians from moving from one town to another, or established check points on roads that had been used to attack Israelis, or prevented Palestinians from coming into Israel. These and similar actions imposed great hardships on many Palestinians. And often checkpoints and inspections and other security measures were implemented by Israeli soldiers with disrespect or insults to Palestinians.

The war seems likely to continue at least as long as the Palestinians continue to get political and financial support from the democracies and from Iran and the Arab countries.

http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/what-the-fight-in-israel-is-all-about/
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 08:46
    The History of the Middle East Conflict in 11 Minutes

YouTube

“For behold, in those days and at that time,
    When I bring back the captives of Judah and Jerusalem,
    I will also gather all nations,
    And bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat;
    And I will enter into judgment with them there
    On account of My people, My heritage Israel,
    Whom they have scattered among the nations;
    They have also divided up My land.

(Joel 3:1-2 NKJV)
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 10:21
    Continuation:

To prevent terrorism Israel at various times prevented Palestinians from moving from one town to another, or established check points on roads that had been used to attack Israelis, or prevented Palestinians from coming into Israel. These and similar actions imposed great hardships on many Palestinians. And often checkpoints and inspections ...[text shortened]... countries.

http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/what-the-fight-in-israel-is-all-about/
    Palestinians have always been viewed by Arab countries as second class citizens or third class. Jordan has a lot of unused territory but refuses to give any to the Palestinians because of the prejudice inherent in the Arab culture towards Palestinians. So they are basically a homeless people, somewhat like the Bedouins.

And so it will continue.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 18:12
    Palestinians have always been viewed by Arab countries as second class citizens or third class. Jordan has a lot of unused territory but refuses to give any to the Palestinians because of the prejudice inherent in the Arab culture towards Palestinians. So they are basically a homeless people, somewhat like the Bedouins.

And so it will continue.
    “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
    Destruction and misery are in their ways;
    And the way of peace they have not known.”
    “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

(Romans 3:15-18 NKJV)

But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them...

(1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 NKJV)
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 18:56
    [b]“Their feet are swift to shed blood;
    Destruction and misery are in their ways;
    And the way of peace they have not known.”
    “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

(Romans 3:15-18 NKJV)

But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the ...[text shortened]... eace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them...

(1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 NKJV)[/b]
    What kind of BULLSHTYE answer is that to my statement that in Arab eyes, Palestinians are trash?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree