1. Wat?
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 02:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I dunno about that. I was guessing that Mike was a guy.
    I can prove it to you, if you like, Suzianne???? 😛

-m.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 04:04
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I dunno about that. I was guessing that Mike was a guy.
    Generic, Babe. (ha,)
  3. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 05:003 edits
    mikelom: It amuses me that y'all argue day in and day out, getting nowhere, about what they believe or don't believe about a God.

More than being amusing, I think it should be very telling.

You don't see people who don't believe in the FSM or Santa Claus dedicating minutes/hours everyday trying to tear down others' belief in such entities. So what does it mean that people who don't believe in God, spend so much time trying to argue against Him?
  4. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 05:092 edits
    Originally posted by sumydid
    mikelom: [b]It amuses me that y'all argue day in and day out, getting nowhere, about what they believe or don't believe about a God.

You don't see people who don't believe in the FSM or Santa Claus dedicating minutes/hours everyday trying to tear down others' belief in such entitie ...[text shortened]... mean that people who don't believe in God, spend so much time trying to argue against Him?[/b]
    How do you argue against something that doesn't exist? I think the argument is with those that mistakenly believe one does.

More telling is arguing against something that does exist - like science.

I do like your analogy comparing god to Santa Claus though 😉
  5. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 05:442 edits
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    How do you argue against something that doesn't exist? I think the argument is with those that mistakenly believe one does.

More telling is arguing against something that does exist - like science.

I do like your analogy comparing god to Santa Claus though 😉
    No one I know of argues against science. The scientific community however, is strikingly similar to the early Church with its inquisitions and eliminating those who don't believe precisely as they do.

As soon as a scientist even mentions the possibility of God... their reputation is tarnished and they are run out of the community on a rail, cut off, and defunded.

Today, a scientist looking at a DNA strand and suggesting a Master Programmer might have created it, is treated about the same as Galileo was 400 years ago. He was forced to withdraw his claim, and so are today's scientists by the established community -- else go underground and lose all credibility.

FYI - your first question "how does one argue against something that doesn't exist?" is based on a false premise. You see, for all the supporting of scientific method, it's quite strange, if not hypocritical, that someone would blurt out as fact that no Creator exists, when such has never been proven.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 06:00
    You don't see people who don't believe in the FSM or Santa Claus dedicating minutes/hours everyday trying to tear down others' belief in such entities. So what does it mean that people who don't believe in God, spend so much time trying to argue against Him?
    Maybe its because believers in the FSM do not go to war over which is best
    tagliatelle or fussilli.

Maybe its because believers in the FSM do not insist spaghetti is the only true
    pasta and all other pasta shapes are false.

Maybe its because believers in the FSM do not want national laws based on
    passages from "101 ways to cook pasta".

Maybe its because believers in the FSM do not deny science when science
    discredits flying spaghetti monsters.

Maybe its because believers in the FSM do not want Pasta Creation stories
    taught in school science lessons.

Maybe its because believers in the FSM do not try and impose their world view
    on others.

Maybe ............
  7. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 06:132 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Maybe its because believers in the FSM do not go to war over which is best
    tagliatelle or fussilli.

Maybe its because believers in the FSM do not insist spaghetti is the only true
    pasta and all other pasta shapes are false.

Maybe its because believers in the FSM do not want national laws based on
    passages from "101 ways to cook pasta". ...[text shortened]... believers in the FSM do not try and impose their world view
    on others.

Maybe ............
    No one here is warring with anyone.

No one here is trying to convince any Atheist that their doctrine is the one and only doctrine. All a believer wants is for the Atheist to believe -- and it's for no other reason than for the Atheist's benefit. Meanwhile, our beliefs aren't being forced upon you. Only a weak-minded victim-card player would suggest otherwise.

No one here is trying to get laws passed that would force any Christian beliefs. Things like late-term abortion and gay marriage have countless detractors outside the Christian community.

No one here ever denies the scientific method. The only thing denounced, and rightly so, is when under the label of "science" the idea of God is dismissed. The scientific method is flawless. The interpretation of scientific findings is another story altogether.

The "story" of Creation is considered fact by billions of people. There's no harm in a teacher giving the information to children and telling them to make up their own mind. To forcibly squelch any mention of it and intentionally indoctrinate children in what YOU want them to think is precisely what you pretend to be so adamantly against. Apparently you support forcing people to believe a certain thing, as long as it's something YOU agree with. Looks pretty hypocritical to me. Let the children hear both sides of the story and judge for themselves. Does such an idea intimidate you?

No one here is imposing their world view on you. To debate an issue is not to "impose our view" on you. This victim role-playing passive aggressive stuff is what we need to put an end to.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 10:421 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It amuses me that you monitor our posts day in day out, rarely contributing but just being quietly amused.
    Shame he doesn't move from being amused to that of being mused.
    He is more than likely bemused now anyway. 🙂
    Kelly
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 11:49
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It's because we're not allowed to kill each other.
    That's why Obama invented the drone program.
  10. Wat?
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 13:20
    You see, for all the supporting of scientific method, it's quite strange, if not hypocritical, that someone would blurt out as fact that no Creator exists, when such has never been proven.
    And that is the exact belief of Buddhism, as a God has never been proven, never.!

So rather than waste their time, Buddhists deal with the known experiences of life and deal with the philospohies learned from them, in order to live a life of caring for others, developing improved care, and improving upon the philosophy by which they live, until a God IS proven.
    Scientific experience is known and generally proven and, by those known laws of every day causes and effects, the Buddhist willl make philosophical and well grounded movements and actions that have causes that are based on the truly known; as opposed to believing Moses separated seas with a stick, and Mary was a virgin (although most who believe in that don't know the loss in translation, and what 'virgin' meant back then), and Mary of Magdeline was not intimate with Jesus........ etc.

However, I'm not here to argue a side - just offering my proven opinion. 😛 555

Can you give me a link to the scientist who remarked that DNA, upon his analysis, must have come from a master programmer?

-m. 😉
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 13:22
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Shame he doesn't move from being amused to that of being mused.
    He is more than likely bemused now anyway. 🙂
    Kelly
    I have no puzzle, as I don't live in a world of puzzles. Everything is in order, even chaotically, and serves its purpose in order to maintain energetical balance.

It's simple.

😉

-m.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 13:34
    I can assure you, that when I meet adults, or even older children that believe in either the FSM or Santa Claus, I become very vocal in my attempts to tear down their beliefs in such entities. If anything, I can be more vocal because there is far less stigma against speaking out against such beliefs.
    Do you keep quiet when you meet such people? Do you quietly laugh into your beard and let them go on believing in Santa? After all, believing in Santa is hardly harmful and makes for far better Christmas''.
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 14:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I can assure you, that when I meet adults, or even older children that believe in either the FSM or Santa Claus, I become very vocal in my attempts to tear down their beliefs in such entities. If anything, I can be more vocal because there is far less stigma against speaking out against such beliefs.
    Do you keep quiet when you meet such people? Do you qu ...[text shortened]... n Santa? After all, believing in Santa is hardly harmful and makes for far better Christmas''.
    Where is the cut-off point of telling a child Father Christmas is a load of BS, or letting them live on in the hope?

Isn't that similar to indoctination of a God, and not knowing when the cut-off point is for a child?

Where is the cut-off point of both, as they are both impinged on a child's impressionable imagination, and yet one is destroyed and the other allowed to fester, usually for life! 😉

-m.
  14. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 14:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    That's why Obama invented the drone program.
    Nonsense! Obama didn't invent the drone program. During the Bush administration I worked for a department at a university that was specifically designed to research, invent and design drones. I don't blame the Bush administration, either...right or wrong, the U.S. military and intelligence are going to use whatever technologies are out there...it's just what came up.

The problem is the killing...
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 14:45
    mikelom: [b]It amuses me that y'all argue day in and day out, getting nowhere, about what they believe or don't believe about a God.

You don't see people who don't believe in the FSM or Santa Claus dedicating minutes/hours everyday trying to tear down others' belief in such entitie ...[text shortened]... mean that people who don't believe in God, spend so much time trying to argue against Him?[/b]
    If there were people here who insisted their belief in either the FSM or Santa should be imposed upon the rest of society, then you may rest assured that I would spend my time arguing against them. But since those people don't exist, there's no sense in arguing against that point of view.

As for myself, though, I don't necessarily argue against Christianity. I argue against conservatism. I have a greater problem with conservative atheists than I do with liberal Christians.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree